Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Kx Remote - Is there a better idea out there?

I love my Kx. About the only gripe I have is the limited usability of the remote. The main pain about it is that you have to be on the lense side of the camera for it to work. So if you're shooting macro, it becomes awkward to release the shutter using the remote. Has anyone heard any rumors about changes?

07-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #2

im actually looking for a wireless transmitter which can be mounted on the hotshoe,..
hope there is one

yep the remote thing is also my gripe with the Kx as well as the lack of battery grip/vertical grip
07-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redeleon Quote
im actually looking for a wireless transmitter which can be mounted on the hotshoe,.. hope there is one :
This one claims to work

But I'm a little skeptical based on the image of the connection.

UPDATE...

Okay... I received an email from the seller:
QuoteQuote:
JohnBee,

You are right, the Pentax K-x doesn't have the remote connection.
I've revised the listing. Thank you for your very useful information.

Greetings
Guess there truly is no long range remote for the K-x

Last edited by JohnBee; 07-20-2010 at 04:28 AM.
07-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
This one claims to work

But I'm a little skeptical based on the image of the connection.
can it work on the Kx?
I see that there is still a cable going through the camera..

07-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't tested the absolute max range of the remote, but so far its been pretty reliable for me. Most of the time when I've needed it is to trigger a long exposure and I can do that by just putting my hand in front off to the side to hit the remote without getting in the frame or touching the camera.

What kind of shot can't you get? Maybe you could rig a reflector for the IR beam.
07-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
I shoot a lot of macro, so I'm often close to the subject. If it is a plant, sometimes there is no room. But reflector - I hadn't thought of that. I'll test that theory out!
07-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Here's an IR remote for $9 delivered that includes an IR reflector!
Remote control for Pentax K-7 K-X K-M K2000 K7 KM KX F - eBay (item 360281185694 end time Aug-13-10 10:42:45 PDT)

Dave in Iowa
07-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Pclix LT was designed for time lapse but has an instant fire button. It is a bit pricey though, $140 for the remote and $22.00 for the infrared cable.

More about the Pclix LT

07-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thinking of how RF works, you don't need any special reflector, just something to bounce off of such as a piece of paper, a leaf, a wall, your hand, etc. I tried it and it worked with my Pentax F remote.
07-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Here's an IR remote for $9 delivered that includes an IR reflector!
Remote control for Pentax K-7 K-X K-M K2000 K7 KM KX F - eBay (item 360281185694 end time Aug-13-10 10:42:45 PDT)

Dave in Iowa
This looks cool and for the money, a great deal. The only thing that bothers me is that it comes from China. How can they do it with free shipping?
07-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jwiles Quote
This looks cool and for the money, a great deal. The only thing that bothers me is that it comes from China. How can they do it with free shipping?
"Sellers are not responsible for shipping service transit times. Transit times may vary, particularly during peak periods."

You can expect it to take more than 20 days to arrive. I bought some lens caps from China with free shipping, they took more than 21 days to arrive.
07-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jwiles Quote
I am impressed by what some of these eBay Chinese sellers can do. About 2 weeks ago I bought a 58mm petal screw on lens hood off one guy for a grand total of AUD$4.29, postage included.

After the item was sold, I got a confirmation email thanking me for the order, then within a day another email saying the item had been posted from Hong Kong, and then in about 5 days I got this neat padded parcel, inside which was a very nicely bubble-wrapped lens hood.

Can't have been much of a margin in it for them, but I guess they move the stock, and they get valuable eBay feedback.
07-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #13

I was having trouble finding the genuine Pentax remote for cheap, so I ended up trying a remote control app on an older Palm PDA (which has a very nice IR range of up to 45 feet). It works very well, and because it's clearly a more powerful IR emitter, it bounces better for use behind the camera. I now have a the Remote F or whatever it's called, but the PDA solution works better. Just FYI for anyone who has an old Palm device laying around.

-- Chris
07-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #14

Try a universal television remote control. The IR is a lot stronger and can probably work from behind the camera. I used one on old DL from behind without a problem.