Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #1

Non-P-TTL AF Flash

Will older non-P-TTL AF (auto focus) flashes work in auto thyristor mode (flash has own sensor) on a K100D? The flash will be Pentax dedicated. The real question is will the auto focus assist work? Has the hotshoe pinout for AF changed from film to digital? I realize I have to manually set aperture and shutter speed. I am also aware of trigger voltage limitations.

Thanks,

Mike

07-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

From what I have read..'coz I don't have a direct experience with this but wanting to buy one before because of the AF assist light is that as long as it is a Pentax brand flash, it would work.
A lot of members here are using the very popular AF280T with swivel and bounce for the auto-thyristor factor and some are using another Pentax model flash (model number I always forget) for the AF assist function.
The AF280T doesn't have the AF IR light but has the bounce and swivel and auto-thyristor as a come-on that's why it is so popular.
07-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi trailrider,

I have an AF 500 FTZ and a AF 280T. The 500 has an SB that works in Manual mode, but no Auto Thyristor sensor, and no P-TTL. The 280 has Auto Thyristor mode, but no SB light and no P-TTL. You might try looking up the owners manuals for the other AF flash models, as Pentax at least used to have them all available for downloading. The older ones are pretty bad copies, but they're readable -- and notoriously sparse in information, but you should at least be able to get a feature list.

Scott
07-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trailrider Quote
The real question is will the auto focus assist work? Has the hotshoe pinout for AF changed from film to digital?
From my experience with old third party flashes: yes, the auto focus assist will work, no, the pins have not changed. Which flash are you thinking of using?

Thank you
Russell

07-20-2010, 12:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Trider, my Quantaray QB-6500U flash works very well with the PK AF Module in the non PTTL mode. The Red focus light throws a bright patterned light far away too.
With the Promaster 5050DXR Module it becomes a PTTL Flash on my K20D. With the Quantaray Manual Module it becomes an Auto Thyristor Flash with the "magic eye".
These are good cheap Flash Guns with lots of flash power. Many other similar makes are also available. See a test shot attached.

Last edited by nanhi; 06-29-2011 at 08:10 AM.
07-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replys!

I was looking at some older Sunpak AF flashes 400, 4000 and 5000 series. I did find the manuals and they seeemed to only work with Nikon AF. I just bought a Sunpak 433D. It does not do AF assist but has a 120 GN. I was just looking for something not too big with some power and additional height to reduce red eye. I also have a Metz 45 CT-3 when I am not worried about size.

Thanks,

Mike