Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

AF-330FTZ Flash - Compatible?

Is AF-330FTZ a good flash model for Pentax DSLRs? I don't usually use flash in my photography so am quite clueless about them. Would it still have all of its features available when plugged into my K-x? Or my friend's *ist D? Is its voltage safe for use on these digital bodies?

This is the model I'm asking about: PentaxForums.com Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags - PENTAX AF 330FTZ

PS How about on a Pentax 645? Is this a usable flash for my medium format camera?

Last edited by Dubesor; 07-20-2010 at 12:14 AM.
07-20-2010, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This flash should work in auto mode on 645 bodies, as they support TTL.

On all DSLRs with the exception of the *ist D and *ist DS2, it'll only work in manual mode. Pentax decided to cut costs with the newer bodies, and therefore, only P-TTL is supported, rather than both TTL (which requires an additional light meter installed inside the camera) and P-TTL (which is software-based).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-20-2010, 05:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the AF 330 FTZ and it's big brother the AF500FTZ both work on the *istD and DS cameras as these cameras support TTL flash

Sadly, these were the last DSLRs to support TTL flash and all newer cameras these flashes will not work other than in manual mode as they do not have internal flash sensors for working in auto mode
07-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

On all DSLRs with the exception of the *ist D and *ist DS2, it'll only work in manual mode. Pentax decided to cut costs with the newer bodies, and therefore, only P-TTL is supported, rather than both TTL (which requires an additional light meter installed inside the camera) and P-TTL (which is software-based).
thanks, that's great advice. am i right to assume every flash that supports TTL will be good on the 645 camera? (in case i want to upgrade)

07-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
also wondering how the AF160 flash compares (for the same cameras - *ist D, K-x, 645)
08-21-2010, 03:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

I'm not really sure how to work it in manual mode, there are TTL / MH / ML settings when I press the MODE button. However, it reverts to TTL when I half-press the shutter button. How can I use this model with my K-x?