Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Dark purple pictures from K-X

A strange thing happened to me today, went for walk and shot few pictures, all of them completely dark with a purple tint, no error messages, batteries charged.
Came home, tried the LiveView and sure enough, dark purple display. After several seconds the display started flickering all kinds of colors after that it settled to normal.
Shot few pics, all OK. Turned the camera off for a bit, turned it on again in LV and purple display again. Five seconds later display changed to normal again. It seems doing the same thing when the camera is off for few minutes.
Any ideas except to sending it for repair?

07-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My guess would be energy problems. As heart a lot, try Sanyo Eneloops and maybe all problems are gone.

My K-7 also turns black on the backscreen on liveview when the accu dried up, but just can ceep the camera up running.
07-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Temperature related? In the same way that the screen can start to play up when it gets very cold, it can also start to play up when it gets very warm.

From some of those photos you took at the time the display went weird, what was the camera temperature (it's recorded in the EXIF, and readable via PhotoMe and exiftool).

I guess the main thing to ask is if the photos themselves were OK.
07-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luma Quote
A strange thing happened to me today, went for walk and shot few pictures, all of them completely dark with a purple tint, no error messages, batteries charged.
Came home, tried the LiveView and sure enough, dark purple display. After several seconds the display started flickering all kinds of colors after that it settled to normal.
Shot few pics, all OK. Turned the camera off for a bit, turned it on again in LV and purple display again. Five seconds later display changed to normal again. It seems doing the same thing when the camera is off for few minutes.
Any ideas except to sending it for repair?

Do your Photos have a purple cast or are you just seeing it on the rear screen? Either way, short of trying some New batteries, you might want to send it for warranty service before it expires.

07-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
The batteries and temperature are definitely not an issue here. It is not just purple display, but the actual shots are very dark and purple as well. When I switch to LV, I see on the display exactly what the sensor is seeing and what comes out in the picture.
I think that sensor failed and my only option is warranty repair.
07-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Post the pictures pls.

Sorry to sound heartless, but it would be interesting to see what a dying sensor looks like.
07-22-2010, 02:24 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Well look at this way, if you ever get purple fringing from your lenses, your pictures will not suffer.
09-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have my camera back from warranty repair by Pentax Canada (and yes, I had to pay $50 handling fee because the camera was purchased in States). The repair bill says that they had to replace the circuit board, apparently they did not change the sensor itself. Camera works fine now.