Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #1

DEAD Pixels

hi, guys,

simple question: Is dead-pixels a usual problem? Or even let me ask this way, does every camera have dead pixels(detectable or not)?

And if dead pixels happen, shall I use warrany to hope that they replace the sensor or I'd better just use directly the built-in pixel mapping function? And does the pixel mapping function always work?

thanks a lot for any input!

07-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Oh yes, every camera will have dead/hot pixels. Dozens of them, in most cases. I would be shocked to hear of one that didn't have any.

Go ahead and use that pixel mapping function, and re-map from time to time, because some pixels turn bad over time. The only time I'd consider a warranty replacement would be if there were some kind of dense cluster of dead/hot pixels, or a visible pattern, that would suggest an underlying sensor problem.

Random, scattered dead/hot pixels are perfectly normal.

If you have dead/hot pixels showing up in your photos, and you shoot RAW, most RAW-processing programs have a function to eliminate them. The in-camera JPG processor does the same thing for JPG images.
07-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just did a test yesterday and no dead/hot pixels this time. I had some in the past on my K-7.
07-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Just did a test yesterday and no dead/hot pixels this time. I had some in the past on my K-7.
Some apparently dead/hot pixels are just artifacts introduced by the camera's electronics other than the sensor pixel itself.
Usually I wait awhile, especially after a battery change to check again. Some of these pixels just go away after a while.

07-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I noticed a few dozen hot pixels in my shots tonight. I didn't see this last time I used the camera for night shots with longer exposures (2-30 seconds) It was very visible though the viewfinder, then visible in picasa in raw and jpeg. When viewed in lightroom the raw files hat the spots eliminated but the jpegs did not. Jpegs are ruined unless there is a way to remove hot pixels in lightroom.

I tried the remap when I got back and took a long exposure with the lens cap on and saw no more hot pixels, it was approx 85 degrees outside. I was pretty concerned about it but it seems to be fixed for now. Attached is a blown up portion of one of the photo's, the entire image was covered in them.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 03-01-2012 at 10:34 AM.
09-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #6

Does the pixel mapping function tell you if it finds any? I took some high ISO shots over the weekend and discovered at least 5 hot pixels on my K-x.

I'll try the pixel mapping function later but was just curious as to what to expect.