Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Quanteray 70-210mm LENS FOR PENTAX KX

I am just getting back in to photography and have and old mef with a few lens. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a quanteray 70-210 telephoto lens would work with my new kx
thanks russ

07-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As long as it's in the Pentax K mount, then it will work just fine! You'll have to meter and focus manually.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Quanteray 70-210 lens

Does a Pentax MEF use Kmount lens? I am not sure what a K mount is. It does have an A on the aperature ring. Russ
07-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you refering to the manual focus Quantaray 70-210mm f4 auto zoom? It will function as you would expect on your K-x. Just keep in mind the section in your camera manual about aperture ring permission if you ever intend to control the lens's aperture manually using the ring.
I have a copy of that lens myself and although it is a KR mount, the pin is round enough and lazy enough that mine has never shown any signs of sticking.
Focal made a lens that was also very close to performance and looks of this Quantaray. I have had my Focal 70-210 for more than twenty years. I have used both of these lenses on my K10 and K-7.
And the ME-F did use the F variant of the Pentax K mount so any lens you used with your ME will mount to your K-x. Just be aware of any that have PK-R near the aperture ring or seem to have a broader flange around the inside lens mount. Search the forum for "Ricoh Pin" for warnings on some lenses.

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 07-20-2010 at 04:50 PM.
07-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by russ Quote
Does a Pentax MEF use Kmount lens? I am not sure what a K mount is. It does have an A on the aperature ring. Russ
Yes, the MEF uses the k-mount. Since 1957, Pentax has only had two basic lens mount systems, with some compatible variations. From 1957 until about 1975/6, they used the M42 "Universal" screwmount system. As its name implies, there lenses screwed onto the camera, requiring about three full turns to be fully seated.

Beginning with the model K2 in 1975 or 1976, they switched to a bayonet mount that clicks into place with less than a quarter turn. This is the mount that your MEF uses. The basic physical locking mechanism that hold the lens to the camera has not materially changed since then.

Additional functions have been added to that basic mounting system. The M-series cameras (ME, ME Super, MX, etc.) were smaller than the K2, KX, K-1000 that preceeded them. They came with m-series lenses that were smaller and lighter, to match the cameras, but they were identical in terms of the lens mount and very similar in optical formula to the lenses that preceeded them. These lenses will work on Pentax dslrs, in manual mode, using stop-down metering.

Beginning with the "program" models, such as the Program Plus, the P3, P5 and others, Pentax added electrical contacts to the camera and lens that allowed better communication and control of the lens aperture. These lenses are easily identified by the "A" setting on the aperture ring. These lenses work very well on dslrs and require no special procedures. They remain manual focus lenses, of course.

The autofocus lenses in the F and FA series added a mechanical drive coupling that allowed the in-camera motor to drive the autofocus mechanism on the lens. These lenses work perfectly on Pentax dslrs. The FA-J series lenses have no aperture ring and only work on cameras that can control the aperture electrically.

The DA and DA* lenses are "digitally optimized", but are otherwise very similar to the preceeding F and FA series lenses. Some of these lenses cast an image circle that is too small to cover a normal 35mm frame (24 x 36mm), although they will mount on and function on Pentax autofocus film SLRs. The DA* lenses are Pentax' highest quality lenses. They are very sharp and very expensive.

In short, all Pentax k-mount (bayonet) lenses will work on Pentax dslrs, with excellent functionality. The M42 screwmount lenses require a relatively inexpensive (about $30 for the genuine Pentax) adapter.

Even better news is that, with a few exceptions, Pentax lenses are both forward and backward compatible. That means that newer lenses, such as the A-series, or the FA series AF lenses will work on your MEF, as well. Since the MEF lacks the ability to control the aperture, the DA lenses won't work, although you could mount them.

If your lens has the "A" setting, then it is at least an a-series lens and will work perfectly on a Pentax dslr.

Check out the "Photos of lens mounts" thread in the Beginners forum.

Last edited by noblepa; 07-20-2010 at 06:00 PM.