Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

New Bodies Are Great, But.....

Pentax really needs to pull the finger out on accessories. Mainly:

The lack of new official teleconverters compatible with DA lenses

The lack of an upgrading or improved flash in quite some time. It's taken too long for a well built WR flash that actually matches the build quality of the K7 and 645D, personally I think its inexcusable. The AF540GZ is good in terms of power, but it is a flash with serious build quality issues and it isn't worthy to sit on top of any of the modern Pentax DSLSR's.

Why no official underwater housing for K7.

With these Items think Pentax would finally have a complete digital system, at this point there are too many holes in accessories which would prevent many pro's and semi pros from considering Pentax as a serious altnernative.

07-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Pentax really needs to pull the finger out on accessories. Mainly:

The lack of new official teleconverters compatible with DA lenses

The lack of an upgrading or improved flash in quite some time. It's taken too long for a well built WR flash that actually matches the build quality of the K7 and 645D, personally I think its inexcusable. The AF540GZ is good in terms of power, but it is a flash with serious build quality issues and it isn't worthy to sit on top of any of the modern Pentax DSLSR's.

With these Items think Pentax would finally have a complete digital system, at this point there are too many holes in accessories which would prevent many pro's and semi pros from considering Pentax as a serious altnernative.

I agree, Pentax has a very limited lineup of everything and needs to expand it.

Since Pentax seems to be aiming for the beginner market maybe they feel that it would be a waste of time since very few would even consider buying a teleconverter (or even know what it was). Since they sell very few they may not feel it's worth the effort to upgrade them for the meager sales they would get.

Pentaxians (or at least many in this forum) are notoriously cheap. The AF540GZ is pretty expensive as it is and adding another $150 wouldn't help sales. I would also ask are the flash systems from Canon & Nikon weather sealed? I don't think they are (correct me if I'm wrong). And why would one want to use a flash in the rain anyway, all you get is the rain close to the camera being lit up.

Underwater housings are very expensive to make and as a market share the K7 is a drop in the bucket compared to the d300 or 50d. Then how many of those owners scuba dive? How many are willing to drop $3000+ on an underwater housing (see above about Pentaxians being cheap)? That is why no one makes them.

The biggest whole in the lineup is a pro body and pro lenses. Pentax whole system is geared towards the amateur and advanced amateur. They don't seem to want to chase the pro market. The K7 is a good camera, and is the most technically advanced DSLR that Pentax has made but it still falls far short of the semi-pro d300s and 7d in terms of performance, and (except for the weather sealing) is really in the range of the d90.
07-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We also need
  • a mid-range flash with tilt and swivel
  • an entry-level flash with tilt
  • a low-priced P-TTL wireless slave-only unit

And although it won't happen, what I'd really like to see is wireless P-TTL replaced with the first integrated radio-based flash control system.
07-21-2010, 06:19 AM   #4

While i wouldnt mind some accessories for my K-7 i would rather new lenses first, (ie. 28mm f2 =D) Anyway, shouldnt this be in some other forum other than news and rumors?

07-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote

Pentaxians (or at least many in this forum) are notoriously cheap. The AF540GZ is pretty expensive as it is and adding another $150 wouldn't help sales. I would also ask are the flash systems from Canon & Nikon weather sealed? I don't think they are (correct me if I'm wrong). And why would one want to use a flash in the rain anyway, all you get is the rain close to the camera being lit up.
I tought that the Nikon SB900 has weatherseals and also the 'new' Canon EX580II, so Pentax lags behind.
And I am not notoriously cheap If Pentax offered a 70-200 F2.8 at the price of Canon's version I bought it, if Pentax offered a FullFrame camera for say 2000 a 2500 euro I would buy it
07-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I saw the heading and I thought, "No, they're better when they're about 20 years old." Heh.
07-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I saw the heading and I thought, "No, they're better when they're about 20 years old." Heh.
Yes...20+ years from now, our cameras will be the target of endless nostalgia...

Steve

07-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Would love to see a ruggedized replacement to the 540. I'm always afraid of breaking it. I would also like to see a DA* ultra-fast wide-angle (24mm f/2 anyone?).
07-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
I tought that the Nikon SB900 has weatherseals and also the 'new' Canon EX580II, so Pentax lags behind.
And I am not notoriously cheap If Pentax offered a 70-200 F2.8 at the price of Canon's version I bought it, if Pentax offered a FullFrame camera for say 2000 a 2500 euro I would buy it
I stand corrected. The Canon 580EX is weather resistant, how much is questionable when you think the 5d mkII is sealed and leaks like a sieve. Is it 5d sealed or 1d sealed? I have looked and can find nothing official about the SB900 being sealed, just that there is a rubber boot available to protect the hot shoe from water. Since these flashes are needed to tilt and rotate that must make it harder to seal those joints.
07-22-2010, 01:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The 580EX is very highly regarded.
07-22-2010, 07:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
We also need
  • a mid-range flash with tilt and swivel
  • an entry-level flash with tilt
  • a low-priced P-TTL wireless slave-only unit

And although it won't happen, what I'd really like to see is wireless P-TTL replaced with the first integrated radio-based flash control system.
Good suggestions. I also agree with the prior poster that a more robust flash is needed. I do not think there is much chance that my AF540FGZ will make it for the 25 years of hard knocks through which my AF400T has hung in.

Also, a P-TTL radio trigger would be a killer, since on one else seems inclined to make it.
07-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
If Pentax will keep the K-7 body going forward I think you will see more 3rd party support. If I can make an underwater housing that will work on the K-7, K-7 Super, & K-7II (or whatever) then I have a much broader market.

The K-7 has an excellent body control layout, so hopefully Pentax wont screw with it. They have other more important areas to improve.
07-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes...20+ years from now, our cameras will be the target of endless nostalgia...

Steve

I think he was referring to a different type of body...one with more natural curves and shapely legs