Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #1

Problem with K-X: Movie Recording length will not exceed 30 seconds!!

Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you could help us out, the recording length on our Pentax K-x is driving me nuts! Here's the problem:

When the camera is in Movie mode, the display says there are 11:47 min/sec of recording time available. Once you start recording, it only gives me about 30 seconds before the hourglass icon pops up and the clip cuts off. The longest clip I've managed to capture is about 44 seconds in length, but the rest have all been between 30 and 33 seconds.

We're using a Class 6 SDHC 16GB memory card, so I thought that we were perfectly fine, yet I've seen a post saying that this type of issue seems to be directly linked to not having a large/fast enough SD card.

What can we do?! Thanks for your help, guys!

07-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Valeria.Ayala Quote
We're using a Class 6 SDHC 16GB memory card, so I thought that we were perfectly fine, yet I've seen a post saying that this type of issue seems to be directly linked to not having a large/fast enough SD card.
What brand is the SD card? Did you buy it from reputable sources?
Have you formatted the SD card by the camera (not PC)?
If you got it from ebay or similar places, it could be a counterfeit one.
One way to test it is to transfer a large file (1 to 2 GB) to the SD card from your PC using a card reader; and time the transfer. Calculate the write speed in bits per second and see if your card is up to spec.
07-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you turned your firmware up to 1.01?

Maybe battery problems. Eneloops seem to be the best working with the K-x.

Can you run a movieclip at low resolution for a longer time?
07-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That definitely sounds like a card problem. I have a Patriot 8gb class 6 and I have recorded well over a 5 minutes at a time. The test that Nosnoop suggested will tell you if your card is capable of transfering that amount of data to record more than 30 seconds. If possible buy a new card, Patriot, is a good brand and see if that new card can handle more than 30 sec.

07-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks so much, guys!

Centon is the brand of SD card, and yep, we got them online but not through ebay (we bought them through Dell)

I'm going to try the test you suggested; I have a feeling that this particular brand of SD card might be the reason we're having this problem.

We updated the firmware this afternoon & want to go ahead and purchase the eneloops as well...Just had a quick question about them: what exactly is the difference between that type of battery & rechargable or alkaline batteries? And are they easy to find? I honestly had never heard of them until I saw them mentioned in a few Pentax forums.

Once again, thanks so much for all your feedback....will post the results of our tests!

Thank you!
Val
07-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I really think that for video, a known high performance card such as Sandisk Extreme III is the way to go. A lot of these bastard brand cards don't actually live up to what they are supposed to do.
The only card failures I've had have been with Patriot cards. I bought 3, 2 have failed.
I just buy Sandisk now, and I don't buy off the internet.
My pictures are worth enough to me to not take chances with crap cards.
07-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Hi Valeria.Ayala,

No video guru by any means, but another possibility is overheating of the sensor if you're using the camera in hot weather. I'm assuming it's hot there since I live near Chicago, and it's been really hot here. . .

It's probably the card, but I thought it would be good to mention the heat thing since it can be more of a problem with the relatively large APS-C sensor than with the little sensors in P&S class cameras.

Scott
07-21-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Valeria.Ayala Quote
Just had a quick question about them: what exactly is the difference between that type of battery & rechargable or alkaline batteries? And are they easy to find? I honestly had never heard of them until I saw them mentioned in a few Pentax forums.

Once again, thanks so much for all your feedback....will post the results of our tests!

Thank you!
Val
Eneloops are NiMH (Nickel Metal-Hydried) rechargeables. They do not have a "memory" so will therefore not "think" they are full or empty. You can charge the batteries whether they are half full, empty or anywhere in between and they will always recharge to full. Eneloops are considered a very good brand and are stated to be able to be recharged approximately 1,000 times.

07-22-2010, 04:15 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
mine doesn't exceed 12 minutes..
I was just wondering if this is also a problem?..
07-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
Inactive Account

If SD card write speed (class #) is slower than camera processor something has to give....so processor must stop when card cannot take data so fast. This is not a battery problem, check the "class" of your card. Card class must be at least Class 6, but class 10 better. If your card doesn't show class# (inside small circle) then it too slow.

Re: Pentax Video
Pentax K- series requires a minimum 10mb/sec read write SD card for full HD video.
The required cards are labeled “Class 10” and are rated at 10mb/sec. Other cards may be available at 10MB/sec. Write speed is key in addition to the capacity of the media.
The 30mb/sec SanDisk Extreme III SDHC cards were originally stamped Class 6 when they came out because there was no Class 10 rating in place, at that time Class 6 was the top SDHC rating. There may be some cards that are stamped class 6 that actually have faster write times and could work correctly in your K series. Any card that is less than class 6 will not work appropriately.

07-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #11

i had the same problem and it was a cheap-o memory card i got from walmart that caused the problem

i called them and they sent me another card for free

still not gonna use it for video but whatever free card for pictures i suppose