Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #1

Firmware?

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post...but I read in an old thread that there was a firmware update last year... I never downloaded it to my K20. Should I?

07-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It is you who decides.
07-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Updating firmware should only be considered if it addresses a problem you're having or has added features.
07-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
If Pentax put it out there, it might well be worth considering, have a look at the Pentax download site and see what the changes were.

07-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Always best to update firmware when new one come available. This true for any electronic product so my opinion is not aimed at Pentax. That said most electronic product manufacturer may say new firmware is to correct **********specific problem. This will be true but no company want to admit they make other mistake. So, most firmware update usually correct what manufacturer say and then also correct many other things maybe not said.
07-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Senseicameratech Quote
Always best to update firmware when new one come available. This true for any electronic product so my opinion is not aimed at Pentax. That said most electronic product manufacturer may say new firmware is to correct **********specific problem. This will be true but no company want to admit they make other mistake. So, most firmware update usually correct what manufacturer say and then also correct many other things maybe not said.
It is true. When they claim the fix something, usually many other things were fixed too.
Firmware is easy to upgrade in the K20D (5 minutes or less). Just write what configuration you have applied for you likes and then do the upgrade. Then check is they were change. If they were, just simply applied them again.
08-03-2010, 05:31 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
It is true. When they claim the fix something, usually many other things were fixed too.
Firmware is easy to upgrade in the K20D (5 minutes or less). Just write what configuration you have applied for you likes and then do the upgrade. Then check is they were change. If they were, just simply applied them again.
Okay guys this is new territory for me so please help me out. What exactly do I need to do? I go to the web site and plug my camera in (turned on of course) and just click the download button? Should I have a card in the camera or not? What happens when the download is done? Will my camera menu prompt me to do something thereafter? Again, pardon my naivete but I've only been at this dslr thing for less than a year.

:-D
08-03-2010, 05:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter

You can't do it from the website. You have to download the file to your computer, saved in a location you can easily find it again. Print out the instructions provided when you go get the download. It tells you everything you need to know about doing the update.

08-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
You can't do it from the website. You have to download the file to your computer, saved in a location you can easily find it again. Print out the instructions provided when you go get the download. It tells you everything you need to know about doing the update.
Oh well that sounds simple enough, just like any normal program download really.

See I have a tendency to over complicate things sometimes. ;-)

Thanks for the guidance!
08-03-2010, 06:00 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The update is easy to do, just download double click it and it will unpack itself , then follow the instructions. It's very easy !!!!!
08-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #11
Site Supporter

If you really are happy with my explanation, give rep points.....Just kidding. I was glad to help you.

Uncle dad, some people need more explicit intructions..... If you double click it and it unpacks, you need to know exactly where that unpack is going. LOL