Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
I'm sure he'd have found a mote of dust on a button, or a screen-printed logo that had a shockingly large fleck of paint missing, just as soon as it got home.
I have a new GE Profile range in my kitchen. The screen printed numbers around one of the knobs started to flake off just after I started using it. It has now progressed to the point that I don't know what number the knob is pointing. Making matters worse, it is the knob for the tri-ring burner, so half the time I can't even tell which size burner I have selected.

Point being - if the screen printing is chipped or flaking off it could be a sign of poor adhesion which will spread to include the rest of the logo or text.

I'm not sure you want buttons on your camera with most of the writing missing.

07-24-2010, 01:48 AM   #47
Site Supporter

I think this thread brings up some important issues:
1. A camera is a precision instrument and the K-7 is not inexpensive. Who needs the anxiety of worrying about what might go wrong next? Plenty of folk have talked about just such anxiety concerning lenses with SDM.
2. Buying on-line is a risk, but as somone pointed out here, depending where you live you might not have the luxury of testing the camera before purchasing it.
3. Amazon.com and ebay are a gamble when purchasing high end electronics. I agree with the poster, who stated that the defects mentioned by some of the others were most likely an indication that the product had previously been returned and/or was actually a refurb. The Gonzo on-line retailers like Amazon can take the gamble that the next buyer won't be smart enough to notice the defect. They sell such a high volume of merchandise that they probably plan for a certain percentage of returns as a cost of doing business.
4. We all want to save money whenever we can and because of this brick and mortar business cannot compete, especially with on-line vendors not charging sales tax, which in my locale means any store's prices are automatically almost 10% more expensive than if I bought the item (for the same price) on-line. We need to support the brick and mortar photography stores that are left.
5. If one doesn't live near a brick and mortar store, then the next best option is to buy from Adorama, B&H or in the case of used equipment, KEH. I have actually found on more than one occasion that their (Adorama's and B&H's) prices are lower than either Amazon's and/or ebay's.
6. And finally, people are entitled to their feelings and opinions. The initial response, received by the member who started this thread, was one of ridicule, blame and I suspect intended to shame the person. I think if this forum is to be perceived as a place where members feel safe to ask questions or voice an opinion, such responses are counter-productive.
07-24-2010, 04:27 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Obviously there are different tolerances for camera "problems." I tend to ignore things that don't bother my shooting experience. I have owned multiple different Pentax cameras and been satisfied with them all and they have held up well over time. At the same time, I think it would be foolish to believe any camera company's semi pro models never have defects.

Amazon is not allowed to resell products that are returned for "defect" reasons. They would send them back to Pentax to be fixed and later they will likely be sold as refurbs.

Ridicule is a little strong for the treatment of the OP. At the same time, it is hard when someone shows up for the first time and within 12 posts says that the K7 is shoddy workmanship. It almost seems like troll material, although I think he is honest in his report. Just odd, because there are many others on the forum who have purchased K7's and none have had this experience.
07-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #49
Unregistered

It is a disappointment to see how this thread turned out. The "friendly Pentax discussion community" certainly did not live up to its reputation. I have been participating in forums for years and never experienced the kind of contemptuous ridicule found in this thread. And believe me, I am not a stranger to stirring the pot a little.

I have been lurking this forum for several years with the goal of soaking as much knowledge as possible. I knew next to nothing when I purchased my K10D a few years back and have come a long way in taking better pictures. Up until now I did not have anything important to write so I kept to myself. When the time is right and my skill set improves, I will graciously share any expertise and/or insight I may have.

I understand Pentax gear may not have the same quality control as that of Lieca or Hasselblad. I have been on architectural photo shoots where the super high-end stuff was used and that equipment has amazing quality. Regarding Pentax, it is common knowledge that their gear is built to a price point. Regardless, I expect a certain level of quality whenever I purchase a product that is considered higher-end. And the K-7 is in fact the flagship DSLR for Pentax.

I made a mistake in returning the first camera. The defect it had is considered normal for a product like this and it certainly did not affect picture quality. I have said it before and I will say it again: shame on me for returning it. I think I had a pretty damn good camera otherwise. At least judging from the shots I took.

There has been considerable debate as to the defect status with the last two cameras. I believe most quality-conscious consumers (like myself) would have found issue with dim AF points. There appears to be a trend with this defect and I hope Pentax looks into it. For the record, I am 100% certain that the sample at B&H did not have this defect.

One or more responders criticized my decision to not spend an extra $100 and buy the camera from B&H. The reason for this is simple: Amazon is an authorized dealer per the Pentax website. In fact, I only buy from authorized dealers for products like this. Price only becomes a determining factor when the more expensive (authorized) dealer does not have a significant value proposition. And in this case, B&H did not.

The important thing for a product like this is how its pictures look. In that respect, the K-7 does a terrific job. In addition, the feel of the camera is great. Pentax significantly improved the ergonomics over its previous models (except the SD card slot - that is terrible). And the 3" LCD display looks amazing. (Even if it had a dead pixel.)

Last edited by krebsy75; 07-26-2010 at 03:41 AM.
07-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
It is a disappointment to see how this thread turned out. The "friendly Pentax discussion community" certainly did not live up to its reputation.
Maybe it has always been that way. Some people project themselves as rational and friendly, until you have a different opinion. We are mere mortal afterall.
07-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
It is a disappointment to see how this thread turned out. The "friendly Pentax discussion community" certainly did not live up to its reputation.
Your very first discussion post, and you condemn the K-7 for "shoddy workmanship" for things most people wouldn't have batted an eye at if they even noticed at all (except for a dusty viewfinder, which can, after all, be cleaned). Did you expect to be embraced with loving arms? You really do have unrealistic expectations.
07-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not going to condemn you for wanting perfection......Mrs Rupert is in that same mold.....and Lord knows I must be a big disappointment, once she got me out of the box and started checking for flaws! She was perfect, of course........that's what she says anyhow.

I think this is not as much about Pentax as it is about the Mfg process in today's world. It could and does happen with any Mfg......I have a friend that went through four D700's before he got one that was "right"...and all of the returns had more serious problems. He is a perfectionist, and additionally is an expert at finding flaws.

On the bright side, people that complain do cause change...and that can benefit us all.
Regards!
07-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
That explains the housing meltdown? C'mon. People overpay all the time for various reasons, not the least of which is neighbourly envy, unrealistic expectations from enlarging medications, farting iPhone apps, and, not the least, LBA.

The one thing I have learned as a market analyst is that the market for price is inversely proportional to the expectations of economists that insist that price is the major determining factor. It is not. People are as irrational about price as economists are rational about it.
I had thought the housing meltdown was caused by poor lending practices, not that we are talking about the same thing now anyway.
That people will spend more than they should on houses has absolutely nothing to do with how they spend on cameras.
I take it you've never read posts from people complaining about the price of new lenses?
Do you think the local camera store went out of business because people decided they didn't want to work for camera stores any longer?
How many times have YOU heard a person say :"We went with the most expensive price we could find it sold for" on a consumer item?
Do you know what ........?

To the OP:
There is no doubt in my mind that Pentax is having QC issues at the moment. I suspect that nowadays, companies are depending more on design and precision manufacturing for quality control, and are spending very little time actually checking assembly.
The high (very high) failure rate of SDM tells me that there are problems with the design side, and while we don't hear too often about body failures, they do pop up.
One thing to remember, the K7, while Pentax's flagship camera is still a mid range SLR, and is not really an expensive camera, especially considering what it brings to the table. There is much better (and more expensive) out there, and one of the things that has, in the past, separated pro gear from amateur gear was better QC.
Whether this is still true, I do not know, though I hope it is.
I think that one has to look at things realistically and ask if the product is able to do what it says it can do. If it can do that, and doesn't have any glaring errors, then just use it and be happy.
The crooked flash release, I would have probably not noticed, the same with the bad pixel on the screen.
The poor viewfinder, definitely.
I'd have sent the camera back for that. The viewfinder is the optical interface, and as such is more important to me than whether a button is on straight.
Consider what was posted earlier about Consumer Reports saying that Nikon and Canon have a 5% service rate.
I doubt very much if that accurately accounts for the number of defective cameras. A lot of "defects" will get overlooked by consumers who, like me, pick their fights a bit more carefully, or consumers who just don't look or don't know any better.
The number of "defectives" in DSLR camera numbers is more than likely much higher than 5%.
One other thing I've learned is that if a customer has a concern about a problem and that problem doesn't get addressed to his or her satisfaction, then the person will suffer a form of buyers remorse.
For example, I bought a LEAR topper for my truck. The thing has never been as I felt it should be. It doesn't fit right and isn't built right. It flexes and will sometimes bang the back of the cab. It does it to the point I have had to move it back quite far from where the back of it looks like it should fit. The air shocks on it don't hold the back glass up and have had to be replaced more than once a year.
Add to that the body has developed star fractures which Lear says were caused by impacts from the inside.
They made this decision by looking at poor quality digital pictures taken by the P&S at the dealer that I bought from.
That I have not had any impacts in the thing (and have told them so), and that I've complained about body flexing on numerous occasions affects their decision not at all.
One of my reasons to buy the thing was because, (apparently) Lear puts a warranty on their product.
And this was a fairly expensive unit, in excess of 2K.

SO, I tell people that the last topper I would buy for my truck is another Lear, and I drive around feeling somewhat ripped off, even though the thing does what it is supposed to do well enough and most of what is wrong with it would be considered (cosmetic).

So, even though you are part of the problem, stick to your guns and make them replace your camera until you get a good one.
Odds are you will eventually.
If they have to trade quality control for warranty replacement, then that is what they have to do.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 07-24-2010 at 05:08 PM.
07-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
I think this thread brings up some important issues:
1. A camera is a precision instrument and the K-7 is not inexpensive. Who needs the anxiety of worrying about what might go wrong next? Plenty of folk have talked about just such anxiety concerning lenses with SDM.
2. Buying on-line is a risk, but as somone pointed out here, depending where you live you might not have the luxury of testing the camera before purchasing it.
3. Amazon.com and ebay are a gamble when purchasing high end electronics. I agree with the poster, who stated that the defects mentioned by some of the others were most likely an indication that the product had previously been returned and/or was actually a refurb. The Gonzo on-line retailers like Amazon can take the gamble that the next buyer won't be smart enough to notice the defect. They sell such a high volume of merchandise that they probably plan for a certain percentage of returns as a cost of doing business.
4. We all want to save money whenever we can and because of this brick and mortar business cannot compete, especially with on-line vendors not charging sales tax, which in my locale means any store's prices are automatically almost 10% more expensive than if I bought the item (for the same price) on-line. We need to support the brick and mortar photography stores that are left.
5. If one doesn't live near a brick and mortar store, then the next best option is to buy from Adorama, B&H or in the case of used equipment, KEH. I have actually found on more than one occasion that their (Adorama's and B&H's) prices are lower than either Amazon's and/or ebay's.
6. And finally, people are entitled to their feelings and opinions. The initial response, received by the member who started this thread, was one of ridicule, blame and I suspect intended to shame the person. I think if this forum is to be perceived as a place where members feel safe to ask questions or voice an opinion, such responses are counter-productive.
I totally agree with loveisageless's point # 6. Sarcasm and ridicule IS counterproductive.
A lot of us (mostly newbies) come on this site for information, about anything and everything to do with either Pentax itself, or photography in general.
While some of the questions might seem a little silly/stupid to some, we are asking for the knowledge that others have, not to be bashed eight ways from Sunday.
For the most part, this IS an excellent site for info.
I just think some of the people on this forum like to mix it up, just for the fun of it, to see what reaction they can get.
(somewhat akin to a Jerry Springer Pentax slugfest!) lol
07-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Just a follow-up to my last post...my 3rd K-7's front e-wheel is now unresponsive turning it left.

The QC on these K-7's is terrible...I shouldn't have 3 K-7's that all need warranty repairs within the first week of ownership.
07-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I know this isn't going to make you feel any better, but these QC issues happen with better cameras than the Pentax K-7. For example, see this pro photographer's review of the Canon EOS 7D here (three duds in a row): The Canon EOS 7D Review Darwin Wiggett

I am lucky that I can buy from a local brick and mortar store even though it often, but not always, costs me more. The expert advice, the free sensor cleaning, and the instant exchange when I thought that a K20D had a sensor problem (the customer is always right) are more than worth the extra money.

So far, my satisfaction with Pentax has been total, and I don't know where I would turn if that confidence was badly shaken with a few duds in a row. Good luck with finding a satisfactory camera.
07-28-2010, 05:43 AM   #57
Inactive Account

I actually had a bad experience with a K7 last week here in Australia. We purchased 2 K7 bodies to replace our K10D's that we use for weddings. The first one was fine - great camera. The second one took about one and a half seconds to write a japeg file to the card. This was definitely not what I have been sue to - anyhow - long story short by shot number 13 (yes 13) the camera would not write to the card. I tried other cards (all sandisk) and nothing. I returned it to a major supplier here in Austalia and picked a new one up on the spot. He said they had never had one back which is reassuring. BTW we shot two weddings with the K7's last weekend - they are truely superb!!!!
07-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fula6 Quote
...The second one took about one and a half seconds to write a japeg file to the card...
Probably too late to ask now, but did the second one by any chance have lens correction turned on? That slows down write speed quite a bit.
07-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Listen.

Instead of BITCHING about how you have allegedly incompetent gear, go out and take some pictures.
07-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Probably too late to ask now, but did the second one by any chance have lens correction turned on? That slows down write speed quite a bit.
Yeah D lighting and lens correct slows down picture processing dramatically.
Closed Thread