Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Live view problem with K20d ? shaking a lot!

Hi,

I wanted to try the live view for the first time since i had my k20d... It was the sunset so i turned on the live view using the Preview button.

But a weird thing happen, when it's on live view, the screen shake a lot and make a lot of noise, like when the dust cleaner when i open the camera but...forever!

I just tried it on a table, and same thing, i was on a tripod yesterday...

Any idea what is going on? Or should i activate the live view differently ?

thank you !

07-22-2010, 02:45 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's just the shake reduction system doing its thing. Were you using a particularly long lens?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-22-2010, 03:58 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's just the shake reduction system doing its thing. Were you using a particularly long lens?
No, it's a 16-50mm...

Also to end it I have to press the shutter button or the off button. Like a said even on a table without any movement it is doing it.
07-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #4

I've experienced the same thing as you with my new k-7. The difference is when I used auto lens(18-55mm kit lens), there is no problem in live view mode, but as soon as I swith to a manual lens, it started to shaking in live view(I've input the correct focal length: 55mm).

The solution I found is update to the new firmwire of k-7, It helped. But last night the skaking come back again. But after I take off the manual focus lens and remount it, everything is ok again. Really doubt if there were a bug in the SR algrithm.

07-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Inactive Account

TanGu,

To see if you have problem or not take off lens. Go to menu and open shutter with sensor clean mode. Once shutter is open watch sensor for movement. If sensor moving camera has problem with SR device and you must send for repair.

Sensei
07-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Senseicameratech Quote
TanGu,

To see if you have problem or not take off lens. Go to menu and open shutter with sensor clean mode. Once shutter is open watch sensor for movement. If sensor moving camera has problem with SR device and you must send for repair.

Sensei
Hi Seisei,

I did that test like you asked and I did not see it move

But I put another lens, a sigma 70-200 epo. It did the same thing but if I turn off the SR, it stop shaking!!! I also found that when it shake, it shake a lot less than my Pentax 16-50 da*. On the 16-50 it shake like crazy with or without SR.
07-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I've had the exact same issue with mine. Using various lenses. It's as is if dust cleaning and LV come on together. I also experienced with the same camera, that the AE-L would activate any time it wanted to. Have you seen this as well?

It's a camera fault of some sort. I don't know what but out of 4 bodies, I've had 2 do this were the other 2 didn't or at least not yet. If the camera is under warranty, send it in
07-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Tangu san,

This good, I see problem before where something metal come loose and get jammed in SR magnets, then SR can not reset and keep moving. Maybe your problem can correct by "Reset" in setup menu. Maybe you tried already but this put all function back to start or original factory condition. If that corrects problem please post for others.

Good luck..
Sensei

07-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Reset did not work for me and my most recent unit is at service right now.
07-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Tangu san,

This good, I see problem before where something metal come loose and get jammed in SR magnets, then SR can not reset and keep moving. Maybe your problem can correct by "Reset" in setup menu. Maybe you tried already but this put all function back to start or original factory condition. If that corrects problem please post for others.

Good luck..
Sensei
Sensei,

Reset didn't work for me either

Any other idea? Is this problem affect the SR function or only the Live View ? If it only a live view problem, i won't sent it to repair...

thanks!
07-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

My experience was that it only effected LV and as a result I stopped using it completely. SR worked fine and nothing else seemed to be effected.
07-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Only thing I can think of is to make sure you have at least Firmware ver 1.03. Now latest is ver 1.04 but, 1.03 made update changes for SR stability.
07-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
My experience was that it only effected LV and as a result I stopped using it completely. SR worked fine and nothing else seemed to be effected.
Okay thank you Peter !

Only thing I can think of is to make sure you have at least Firmware ver 1.03. Now latest is ver 1.04 but, 1.03 made update changes for SR stability.
Good to know, i am on 1.04, thanks !
05-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #14

Has anyone come up with a Fix to this shaking problem on Live View of Pentax K20D?
Thanks