Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-21-2010, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

K7 -vs- K20D

Ive had my K7 for about a month now and have about 500 actuations.

There are features on the K7 that I really like. It does seem to focus more quickly than the K20D. Thanks, in part, to the new focus assist lamp.

It generally has a nice feel to it.

It does have the Movie feature, which I will probably never use.

The Live View is much easier to use and put into play.

I like the menu set up and find it quite easy to navigate.

However, it just doesn't have the nice feel and great ergonomics of my K20D which I've had for a couple of years now.

Yes, I know that over time, I'll get used to it and probably begin to like it better. But, each time I use it, I find that I miss the ease of the K20D

My $ .02

07-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
Give it some time. I used to think the K10D body was perfect. Now I think the K-7 one is.

(I ordered my K-7 the day it became available at amazon)
07-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Inactive Account

^ Me too. I used to love the feel of the K10 and grip, but IMO the K-7 w grip is even better...and dare I say - perfect.

c[_]
07-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
feel can take awhile. I myself took some time before I got to familiar myself with the system as well.

07-22-2010, 04:31 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would be the opposite. I always pick up the K7 when going out shooting versus my K20. I really feel like it is more comfortable for longer shooting periods than the K20 is, at least with the grip in place. Without the grip, the camera does not feel complete.
07-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We're probably all biased towards the equipment we're used to.
I like the K-7 but prefer the K20D ergonomics-wise.
I'd still be happy having a K-7, though.
07-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
Inactive Account

There are really only 3 or 4 things I don't like about the K7 vs the K10/20. I would gladly give up the bigger screen to have the buttons put back where they belong. I absolutely hate that silly lock they put on the mode dial. After they put the menu button (and especially the delete button) back where it belongs, reinstall the hardware SR switch. I'm not too happy with the location of the AE-L button either.

As for the Feel, I solved my slight dislike of it by installing the grip. I never thought I would like having one because I didn't on the K10/20 but on the K7, Perfect.

07-22-2010, 06:57 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I must be the odd one here. I like that the mode dial can't spin on it's own, so for me, the lock is a good thing.
I find the ergonomics of the K7 to be quite an improvement over the K10/ K20.
07-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #9

I feel only one thing is lacking with K7, that is the noise at high ISO.

I used K200D for quite a while and I'd say that its pics are cleaner than K7 are at the same (high) ISO.
It's also evident when the shadow is made brighter, the noise (chroma noise ?) is worse compared to K200D.
I don't know if this is particular to my K7 only but it really bothers me to the point of thinking I should try K20D for a comparison.

Is K20D better in this regard?
07-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I would gladly give up the bigger screen to have the buttons put back where they belong. I absolutely hate that silly lock they put on the mode dial. After they put the menu button (and especially the delete button) back where it belongs, reinstall the hardware SR switch. I'm not too happy with the location of the AE-L button either.

I agree with just about all of that Jeff. For me, I like the lock on the mode dial. I like the "delete all photos" being a menu item as I have, on more than one occassion, inadvertantly deleted all of my shots.

Everything else I am in full agreement.

I've gotten used to having the grip on the K20D so it follows that I would also like it on the k7. I have one of the third party grips for the K7. It does its job but the buttons and switches feel a bit cheap and cheesy.
07-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I must be the odd one here. I like that the mode dial can't spin on it's own, so for me, the lock is a good thing.
I'm in this camp also. I tried the K7 with the grip, then sold the grip. Too bulky for my taste
07-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
I agree with just about all of that Jeff. For me, I like the lock on the mode dial. I like the "delete all photos" being a menu item as I have, on more than one occassion, inadvertantly deleted all of my shots.

Everything else I am in full agreement.

I've gotten used to having the grip on the K20D so it follows that I would also like it on the k7. I have one of the third party grips for the K7. It does its job but the buttons and switches feel a bit cheap and cheesy.
If I wasn't use to the non-locking mode dial, It wouldn't be anything I would even notice. However, being use to the K10/20 dial, I found it convenient to just turn the dial if I wanted to switch modes from Av to Tv or to M (the only 3 I use). It really isn't that big of a deal and wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but I still don't like the lock. RE the delete, I was actually referring to the button itself and it's new location next to the viewfinder. I have huge fingers and unless I've let my fingernails grow a little, it is difficult to even activate the function without hitting the playback button as well. The function I want moved back out of menu and to a hardware switch is the SR function.

07-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If I wasn't use to the non-locking mode dial, It wouldn't be anything I would even notice. However, being use to the K10/20 dial, I found it convenient to just turn the dial if I wanted to switch modes from Av to Tv or to M (the only 3 I use). It really isn't that big of a deal and wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but I still don't like the lock. RE the delete, I was actually referring to the button itself and it's new location next to the viewfinder. I have huge fingers and unless I've let my fingernails grow a little, it is difficult to even activate the function without hitting the playback button as well. The function I want moved back out of menu and to a hardware switch is the SR function.

I've inadvertantly hit both the menu and delete buttons on the K7 and, like you, prefer their location on the K20D.

I know that I'll get used to all of this in time. I guess it would be sort of like moving from a left hand drive car to a right hand drive car. Nothing would seem to be in the right place.
07-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
I've inadvertantly hit both the menu and delete buttons on the K7 and, like you, prefer their location on the K20D.

I know that I'll get used to all of this in time. I guess it would be sort of like moving from a left hand drive car to a right hand drive car. Nothing would seem to be in the right place.
Exactly.

07-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bodhi08 Quote
I feel only one thing is lacking with K7, that is the noise at high ISO.

I used K200D for quite a while and I'd say that its pics are cleaner than K7 are at the same (high) ISO.
It's also evident when the shadow is made brighter, the noise (chroma noise ?) is worse compared to K200D.
I don't know if this is particular to my K7 only but it really bothers me to the point of thinking I should try K20D for a comparison.

Is K20D better in this regard?
The K200D is still 6mp, right? If so, it isn't surprising that it has better noise than a 14mp camera.