Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bodhi08 Quote
I feel only one thing is lacking with K7, that is the noise at high ISO.

I used K200D for quite a while and I'd say that its pics are cleaner than K7 are at the same (high) ISO.
It's also evident when the shadow is made brighter, the noise (chroma noise ?) is worse compared to K200D.
I don't know if this is particular to my K7 only but it really bothers me to the point of thinking I should try K20D for a comparison.

Is K20D better in this regard?
The K10 was, I think, but the K20 and K-7 are about the same.

I do prefer K-7's feel over that over the K20.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I am liking the mode dial lock too. I feel they put in on there because the lug and strap is very close and its commonly touching that dial... while you're walking around I think it would turn a lot.

Otherwise I love the size, even with my stupid big hands.
07-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
However, it just doesn't have the nice feel and great ergonomics of my K20D which I've had for a couple of years now.

Yes, I know that over time, I'll get used to it and probably begin to like it better. But, each time I use it, I find that I miss the ease of the K20D
I feel the same way.l
I have big hands and I found the K-7 to be a little smallish and sharper(IOW) than on the K20D contours.
BUT... that's just me.
My wife on the other hand(hehe) loves it!
She has a K-x atm and after handling the K-7 recently she decided to upgrade.
I personally think the K-7 is a real ladies camera

Perhaps this year they will put a K-x sensor with K-7 electronics in a K20 body
07-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The K200D is still 6mp, right? If so, it isn't surprising that it has better noise than a 14mp camera.
It is 10mp but what I didn't expect is the noise is quite evident (noticeable when compared). I was expecting it to be somewhat worse than K200D but not as bad as it actually is.
Needless to say, I am disappointed. But that is only one aspect of a great camera

07-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I've looked at photos of the K7. We have no Pentax dealer in my town so I can't put my hands on one. I wondered if anyone had an issue with all of the buttons being moved around?

Don't think I'll upgrade from my K20D.
07-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #21
Banned

I like the arrangement of the buttons. I can handle most of them while holding the camera with the right hand - I can keep the left hand on the lens most of the time.
07-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery
I miss the SR button and I think with the battery grip the K-7 fits my larger hands real nice.
I do not have a grip on the K20D though, so cant really compare it.
I never had a problem with the mode dial moving on the K20D so for me its just a pain on the K-7.
It would be nice if you could charge the main battery while the grip is on.

07-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle_dad Quote

It would be nice if you could charge the main battery while the grip is on.
I'd like that as well. Or, even charge it without having to remove it from the body, grip or not.
07-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I like the K-7 because of it's magnesium alloy casing. nothing like having a significant amount of protection.
07-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #25
Banned

In terms of buttons arrangement, one example: check how easy it is to hold the K-7 with a single hand and adjust the exposure compensation versus doing the same thing on the old body.
07-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

For the record: the K10D and K200D have the same sensor and hence the same base noise levels, but the K10D's A/D converter introduces more noise of its own than the K200D's (maybe an oversimplified way of putting it, but that's how it works out). Meaning in practice, the K200D is noticeably better than the K10D in terms of high ISO noise whether shooting RAW or JPEG - enough so that the K200D is better then the 6MP cameras to my eye in this respect, but the K10D really isn't. The K20D is a (small) step up from any of these (and the K-x another small step beyond that). The K-7 is, well, somewhere in the middle of all this in my limited experience (just looking at online RAW samples from Imaging Resource and so forth). Somewhat better than the 6MP cameras or the K10D, but still half a notch below the K200D to my eye, and clearly a step below the K20D or K-x..

Of course, this all depends largely on whether you shoot RAW or JPEG and what kind of NR you do on the images. It also depends on what specific ISO level you comare at - at ISO 1600, the differences can be surprisingly small, but do get larger as you get to 3200 or 6400. I generally compare ISO 1600 RAW images with no NR as well as my "best effort" with my basic RAW processing program; I don't tend to care about in-camera JPEG.

Note people often make the mistake of comparing at "100%", but that puts higher pixel count cameras at an unfair disadvantage - you're blowing the image up larger. The 6MP cameras look pretty bad when you blow their images up that large, too.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-22-2010 at 01:01 PM.
07-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Give it some time. I used to think the K10D body was perfect. Now I think the K-7 one is. . . . . . . .
Interesting. Successful ergonomics is a function not only of design but also our personal anatomy and mental wiring. Although I've yet to buy one, I loved the feel of the K-7 the moment I picked one up; I've always felt my K20D (and its predecessor, my K10D) to be a bit awkward compared with my first DSLR, a DS2.

Glad you're enjoying your camera.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I like the K-7 because of it's magnesium alloy casing. nothing like having a significant amount of protection.
I've seen no data from Pentax (or anyone else, for that matter) demonstrating that a K-7 is actually more damage resistant than other Pentax cameras in real-world circumstances. Such may, in fact, be the case, but I'd need a little proof before I'd write a check for a K-7 based soley on the expectation that it can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. It's a great camera, nonetheless.

Jer
07-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote

I've seen no data from Pentax (or anyone else, for that matter) demonstrating that a K-7 is actually more damage resistant than other Pentax cameras in real-world circumstances. Such may, in fact, be the case, but I'd need a little proof before I'd write a check for a K-7 based soley on the expectation that it can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. It's a great camera, nonetheless.

Jer

looking for data regarding damage resistance would be hard to find since I dont think that people would generally document such incidents nor intently do so. googling up personal case scenarios might give you the data that you are looking for.

anyway, fwiw, I think I saw an old post in this forum where a damaged K20D was sold due to a fall and a picture of it was provided to show the extent of the damage. I think I had also read some old posts describing how their K10 or K20D were replaced because their camera cracked when their cameras accidentally fell.
07-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
looking for data regarding damage resistance would be hard to find since I dont think that people would generally document such incidents nor intently do so. googling up personal case scenarios might give you the data that you are looking for.

anyway, fwiw, I think I saw an old post in this forum where a damaged K20D was sold due to a fall and a picture of it was provided to show the extent of the damage. I think I had also read some old posts describing how their K10 or K20D were replaced because their camera cracked when their cameras accidentally fell.
Metal points that secure the plastic/fiber shell usually means a good fall gives you decking and seam splitting.

All I know is, during my time in Canon is saw many, many of those 50D, 5D, 1D bodies that took a hell of a beating over the years, dents and dings that I could only imagine would have ended up as a broken Rebel. I cracked my own Rebel just hoisting on my shoulder and walking through a door way, right down the side where the seam was. Granted it still worked, it's not good to have a open crack for debris to get in to.

But those are different cameras, so maybe the fiber shells on the other Pentax cameras are stronger.
07-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I like the arrangement of the buttons. I can handle most of them while holding the camera with the right hand - I can keep the left hand on the lens most of the time.
Me too, it is all right there. Stupid thing just feels right in the hand, specially with the grip.
And love the locking mode dial, does not get accidentally changed while operating the exposure mode lever.