Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #16

£16.99 Gets you 1 transmitter and 2 trigger units.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

A quick check at Ebay shows a firm in South Wales (welsh Wales, UK) that supplies the above. Camera hotshoe voltage is 3.29v, the max range is about 99feet and the max flash gun trigger voltage is !2v. Wireless channel selection is by 2 DIP switches to select any one of 4 channels.
Supplied with coax leads,they can be used with cameras and guns via a lead or the conventional hotshoe.
I have 2, so can trigger up to 4 guns from one of the transmitters.
Value for money? - Yes. Very!
Operation - Excellent
Problems - None
Minuses - Flash trigger unit could have a more robust mounting bracket._easily solved with some simple home engineering.

08-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Alienbees Cybersyncs. Reliability of Pocket Wizards, legendary customer service, reasonable price.

AlienBees - CyberSync™ System
08-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding Flash Voltages.. I just sold a bunch of old flashes on the marketplace. Before sending them, I checked the trigger voltages. What I found, in general is that all purpose flashes, the type with just one contact on the shoe, were well above 100 volts. The types that are TTL compatible (any version), were less than 12 volts, the least being a Vivitar 3700 at just under 5 volts. I mention that one because it has a tilt-swivel head.

Use that as a guide on 'compatible flash units' if it helps.

08-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very simple and inexpensive wireless flash setup that works:

Take any two cheap flashes. I use a Pentax AF-280T and a Vivitar 285HV, but the brands are not very important. What you need is one flash that has an old-fashioned "auto" setting and a way to be controlled by an optical slave, such as a Wein Peanut (about $15). It's nice if the second flash has tilt/swivel, but not vital.

Set the slaved Vivitar to auto 5.6 (or whatever f/stop works for your photo). Place it wherever you want it to illuminate your scene. Put the 280T on the camera hotshoe. Swivel the 280T so it's facing away from the subject, if you don't want its light involved in the photo. (You can also simple use an index card and tape to reduce its power, or a manual setting if it has one.)

Set the camera to 1/180 and 5.6 (or f/stop of your choice, above).

Test.

Fire away.

The old auto flashes are very nearly as accurate in their exposure as TTL of any flavor. And they are much cheaper. You can get 285s for $50 or less.

Been using this for years. It's very nearly as good as the wireless Canon system I also have, and hundreds of dollars cheaper.

The set-up in action, using a stand and umbrella for the 285

08-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
The Canikon equivalents are the Radiopopper PX and Pocket Wizard ControlTL systems.
There are the Pixel TR-331 and TR-332 that are around $150 as well. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe the Pixel brand will have a Pentax version at some point.

Thank you
Russell
08-15-2010, 06:14 AM   #21
Inactive Account

i use the 4 channel ebay triggers, these: Wireless Flash Trigger With 3 Receiver 4 Channel in UK on eBay (end time 11-Sep-10 06:32:39 BST)
work great, good range

have a slight problem with the flash coming off the hot shoe quite easily, which at first made me think the units were broken- so make sure you get the flash on properly

also having something with detachable feet is very very useful

and built in umbrella holders (and trust me, you need an umbrella when working outside, direct light from the flash is as awful as the pop up flash)

also, if you get an older flash, make sure to get something with full manual control, my flash only has full or 1/16, which makes it a bit limiting, and when on full it takes 16 seconds to recharge, 16 seconds!

i'm not sure whether those triggers will work with p-ttl though

and annoyingly yongnuo have e/i-ttl compatible nikon/canon flashes- which actually makes it cheaper to set up a canon flash setup than it does to set up pentax!
08-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #22

Optical units only work if the area being photographed is dark enough for the slave to 'see' the source flash. Working in an area where 'fill in' flash is required eliminates use of such units due to insufficient light level differences during the flash. This means the slave flash(es) do not fire.
Try shooting in the centre of a large open ended farm barn, trying to match interior light levels with that at each end of the building and you'll see what I mean.
In these situations it must be wireless by radio signal.Optical untis will not work.
Regards

08-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #23

Sorry....this is not so.
Do some tests on Miranda guns and you will see.
500CD = 2.85v + Positive centre contact
630CD = 8.2v - Negative centre contact
700CD = way over 100v !
All are multi dedicated units, the 500CD being manufactured during the 1980's
Also centre contact polarity is important. It must be + Positive!
The rule is ALWAYS test before attempting to use on a camera and never take anything for granted. Production changes mean voltages can be different from one gun to another although of same model number.
08-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the information. What I tested was what I had on hand and what I said about them, is fact. Why would I test what I do not have? I have no intention of buying any of them.

08-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
i'm not sure whether those triggers will work with p-ttl though
No. None of the current radio flash triggers support p-TTL.

QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
... and annoyingly yongnuo have e/i-ttl compatible nikon/canon flashes- which actually makes it cheaper to set up a canon flash setup than it does to set up pentax!
You can stop being annoyed. Yongnuo radio flash triggers don't support Nikon i-TTL nor Canon e-TTL.

There are radio flash triggers that support Nikon i-TTL and Canon e-TTL but they are not in the same price range of Yongnuo.
08-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
The YN602's in Soldbear's post don't sync up to 1/180...only 1/125, at least the Canon compatible ones I tried. The Nikon ones might work..
You can get the RF-602 to sync at 1/180 with a piece of gaffers tape across the trigger's button. I just made a tape flap with a little tape folded on to itself on one end and a bit of tape folded into a pillow for on top of the button. All I have to do is lift up on the tab (folded end of tape) and then tighten the tape enough to depress the button enough that the green LED light comes on. When I'm done, I just loosen the tape. Takes a few second to do. For the range, price, and stability, I'm willing to use the tape work around for these triggers. I'll upgrade when we have a Pentax version of the Pixel triggers.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm2YOs7O2YY[/YT]

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-17-2010 at 04:22 AM.
08-16-2010, 06:04 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys. It sure helps

Anyway, any of you guys have tried MicroSync Digital for firing strobes or speedlights?
08-16-2010, 06:24 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been using the YN CTR 301P triggers for years now. I think they have been superseded, since I don't see them offered as much on Ebay. They also list 30m as the range, but I've tested mine up to a city block. They will sync semi-reliably at X speeds, but you need to shift into manual and go no higher than 1/125 for 100% success.

I really don't miss P-TTL with these triggers on a digital body. You can either set the flashes to auto, and set the camera to the recommended F-stop, or set the flashes on manual and chimp a bit for the exposure varying the power or exposure. I've found now that it never takes me more than 3 or 4 tries at the most after using this setup a while.

Pay close attention to what Jeff said about trigger voltage. Older flashes like, in my case, Vivitar 283s have voltages which not only fry your camera, but they bite! I've used the CTR301 receivers to control the flashes on a stand using a PC cord, and learned to cover up the hot shoe for safety. With a flash attached to the PC, that hot shoe is charged with voltage about like that of US household wiring, but at DC. Ouch!
08-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HEEGZ Quote
I bought this one and use it on both of my cameras with no problems.

Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger…
Wow, the Cowboy Studio units are the cheapest I've seen—and they get consistently positive reviews at Amazon. I've bookmarked that link in Amazon for possible future use.

Will