Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

k10d shutter not releasing

Today I was out shooting and suddenly I pressed the shutter release button and it didn't fire. Focus locks. I can feel the camera try to do something but nothing. I try the preview and nothing. Removed the lens and thats working off the camera. Removed and replaced the battery still nothing. The mirror doesn't lock up in cleaning mode.

So I suspect that it is a problem with the shutter . If it is how much would it cost to repair? Could it be something else?

Any help would be much appreciated.

07-22-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does sound like the mirror is giving you problems. I would contact Pentax.
07-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwao Quote
Today I was out shooting and suddenly I pressed the shutter release button and it didn't fire. Focus locks. I can feel the camera try to do something but nothing. I try the preview and nothing. Removed the lens and thats working off the camera. Removed and replaced the battery still nothing. The mirror doesn't lock up in cleaning mode.

So I suspect that it is a problem with the shutter . If it is how much would it cost to repair? Could it be something else?

Any help would be much appreciated.
I had the shutter fail on my K10D a year ago, the trailing blade was always moving with the leading blade at high shutter speeds.

Pentax canada charged $325 CDN to repair the camera.

Repair included replacement of the shutter, mirror mechanism, and lens mount, as well as a general cleaning.

Note that the cost of parts on the invoice was less than $100 as you are paying mostly for the skilled labor and the clean room facilities to perform the repair.

They did not explain the replacement of mirror mechanism and lens mount, and I did not really care, because the camera came back cleaner than I ever remember, and worked perfectly, including focus accuracy with my lenses.

overall, except for the serial number the shutter count, and a little brassing on the camera strap loops it was hard to tell this was not a brand new camera

even though I bought a K7 when the K10 failed I considered the cost worthwhile

Pentax did make one disclaimer, specifically that the installed split image focusing screen would impact metering, as if the K10D metering could actually get any worse
07-22-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. I am in Japan and I think that most places will send it to pentax for repair which means it will be expensive. money is tight at the moment so unless there is a cheap fix will try to find the best deal on another camera. The KX new I guess is about $150 more than the cost of repair but would that be an upgrade. A reconditioned K20D if I can find one in Japan is probably less than the cost of repair of the k10d would that be a better than the kx??? The K7 too much.

07-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Kiwao san,

I agree with other post, your camera needs repair. Maybe you can listen close you will hear tiny crick. If so something in mirror assembly bound up.
07-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe just get an used K-m. I wouldn't get too hang-up on the upgrade/downgrade mentality trap. Any camera that serves you well is a good camera.