Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #1

Pentax K-X image problem

Hello guys,

I have this problem with my pentax k-x. I noticed that every time i shot a picture, every dark areas will get some sort of pixelated effects. And it even happened with pictures shot at lower ISO (e.g iso 400)

Below is the zoomed picture of the pixelated area. This was taken with ISO 400.

Click to enlarge:

Click to enlarge:

07-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't see the pixelation you are describing at all. I do see what appear to be some JPEG artifacts here and there, most likely the result of how you or photobucket are resizing the images - but even those are pretty minor.
07-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The enlarged crop is still too small for my old eyes to see any pixelation, but the image is underexposed. My guess is a properly exposed image wouldn't show pixelation in shadow areas. I see from the exif that you used spot metering, but I don't know what you metered off of. On a bright sunny day f16 at 1/500 shutter speed and iso 400 would be about right, but even if it was a bright sunny day, the scene itself doesn't look to be bright & sunny, so exposure would need to be adjusted.

I'm not saying you don't have some problem with the camera, but I don't see it from this example.
07-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
I think I may have not pointed it out correctly. Alright let me try again. But this time with another picture. Just trying to clarify whether I got a faulty camera or the opposite. :ugh:
This is a full scenery picture, shot using bulb at iso 200, and resized at maximum quality: (picture was taken during sunrise)

This is the part of the "dark grainy + pixelated?" area:

Meanwhile, this is the clear sky :

Sorry guys if I'm not making any sense here. But if there's nothing wrong by your side or maybe this is a normal thing, then I'm sure it's either my screen display is causing me to see weird stuff or I may have to declare myself as an inexperienced photographer. But a big thanks for the really fast reply

07-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I believe it is noise that you are seeing. That's what happens to the underexposed areas of a digital image (actually the same happens to underexposed film, too, but it's called grain). Properly exposing the image will help with this. Shooting RAW or bracketing may help with this (if you are willing to do the post work). Also, your monitor will have an effect on how visible the problem is. I would suggest having a couple prints made of some images that you see the problem in, so you can determine if the problem you are seeing even shows up in print. You may also want to try a noise reduction program like neat image www.neatimage.com (noise ninja and topaz are the two other good NR programs)
07-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Although this post makes me feel like I am being trolled, I'll bite.

I can barely see a thing in the sample images, but what I am seeing in the middle image in the darkest areas is just shadow noise. Every single digital camera produces it to some degree. In fact looking at that image at 100% shows it to be pretty clean - especially for a 13 second long exposure.

Try the same thing on a point and shoot, or any SLR other than the K-x for that matter, to see real noise!
07-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Other than the fact you apparently like to underexpose, I'm not seeing anything unexpected.

07-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #8

Original Poster
Okay I've checked back my pictures on another monitor, it's confirmed that my screen display has been the one showing the extra grain + pixelated pictures. Viewing from a normal CRT display actually previews it quite okay with barely visible noise. Sorry for the trouble guys