Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

Canadians be aware of warranty issues on cameras purchased from US

Some of the online US camera dealers like B&H or Adorama have very attractive prices for us Canadians, but be aware of the warranty issues. The Pentax cameras and other products carry one year warranty applicable in US only. US dealers do not supply the International warranty card that Pentax Canada requires for any warranty repair. You have to request the card from Pentax Imaging USA. Even with that warranty card, Pentax Canada is charging $50 handling fee for any warranty repair on a products purchased out of Canada, according to their web site.

07-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No true, if you have the International warranty paper and it is still under warranty, you do not have to pay anything for any repair work covered under warranty. However, if it is out of warranty and after they assess the cost of repair and then you decide to opt out, then the handling fee will apply. Better call them to find out first.
07-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the things I've always liked about Pentax Canada is that their warranty is an international warranty. As post #2 says, if the dealer has supplied an international warranty, it should not be a problem, but I don't know if places like B&H and Adorama do that, or if they do, if it is an extra charge.
I pretty much treat anything I buy from the USA as gray market goods, and I don't really expect to have an ability to claim warranty from gray market products.
Fortunately, I have a good camera store local to me, and I support it (and Pentax Canada) with my money rather than sending my money to a faceless vendor in a foreign country.
I've also found with B&H and Adorama that while their prices might seem favourable, as soon as you factor in their shipping charges, there is little or no savings compared to supporting the local retail system and the Canadian distributor.
As a former camera retailer, I've always had a really low opinion of people who buy foreign to save a few pennies and then expect local support for their purchase when it turns out badly.
07-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Wait so If I buy from B&H I can request a international warranty card from pentax imaging? And does that cost a lot or ?

07-23-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clim920 Quote
Wait so If I buy from B&H I can request a international warranty card from pentax imaging? And does that cost a lot or ?
No it doesn't cost anything, just the hassle.
07-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
No true, if you have the International warranty paper and it is still under warranty, you do not have to pay anything for any repair work covered under warranty. However, if it is out of warranty and after they assess the cost of repair and then you decide to opt out, then the handling fee will apply. Better call them to find out first.
aleonx3, I got a confirmation from Pentax Canada that I will have to pay $50 handling fee on this international warranty.
07-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
As a former camera retailer, I've always had a really low opinion of people who buy foreign to save a few pennies and then expect local support for their purchase when it turns out badly.
Well, I would argue with you opinion... First of all, I live 150 kms from the nearest city where I could buy a camera so I have lots of various stuff shipped to me by mail. Second, on a KX camera kit with two lenses I did not save pennies but about $140 including shipping compared to lowest price anywhere in Canada.

07-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #8

It's true, Pentax Canada charges 50$ for international warranty work.
07-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luma Quote
Well, I would argue with you opinion... First of all, I live 150 kms from the nearest city where I could buy a camera so I have lots of various stuff shipped to me by mail. Second, on a KX camera kit with two lenses I did not save pennies but about $140 including shipping compared to lowest price anywhere in Canada.

If for you the bottom line is the bottom line, then you are playing roulette. How much money will you save when that camera needs service and you have to send it back to New York because you refused to support a store in Calgary?