Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K20D intermittant shutter release with battery Grip

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have been a long time Pentax user starting back with my first S1000 in 1978.

I use two K20Ds, one 6 months old and one 1.5 years old.
Both have a D-BG2 Battery Grip. Whenever I turn either camera to shoot portrait I experience intermittant shutter release. It's as if it freezes, not good when you NEED that shot!

It's like they won't focus or are still aquiring exposure info to shoot with. One thing I must mention is the fact that I shoot almost exclusivly in DNG and with manual settings so the camera shouldn't be making any choices for me. I've even set everything to manual focus and it still persists.

This seems to happen with any lens and setup. I have even swapped the grips and the batteries.

I don't know if this is a camera setting I'm missing or something known with the cameras.

If anyone else has experienced this or know the solution feel free.

Thanks

07-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

How many shots in a row before the camera freezes?
Is it possible you are filling the buffer?
07-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thought of that, I use scan disk Ultra II SDHC cards, but even in single frame mode it will refuse to fire. I usually resort to pressing the body's shutter, after the shot's gone of course.
07-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sometimes the e-dial on the grip/camera gets stuck between positions and will stop the camera from working. make sure the e-dial on the grip has fully "clicked"

07-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Alright, I'll check it out and see if I'm bumping it by mistake. Thanks
07-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may also want to check for stuck pins on the grip. Only one should sit lower than the rest.
07-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
You may also want to check for stuck pins on the grip. Only one should sit lower than the rest.
Very common this issue.
I found my own to have them on more than one occasion.

07-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So after eliminating the suggestions, all were very helpful by the way, they allowed me to work my way down to what I think is the cause.

It turns out it's the AF.S setting. If, for some reason, the auto focus is not happy with the setting it will refuse to allow a shutter release. With the camera set to AF.C (continuos) or Manual focus the problem doesn't surface (so far that is).

I am assuming that the processor sees too much in the depth of field when in portrait.This always happens with a focal distance over say 10 feet, although it doesn't explain the successful release from the body button. Maybe the release from the body is caused by moving the camera allowing it to set and lock focus.

Same kind of thing can happen when exsposure is set to anything other than a manual setting. The camera will say it's out of range and refuse to co-operate.

I guess I'll just contine to see if the result is correct over time.

I sent the request to Pentax and haven't heard back yet. It would be nice if they could verify it.