Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #1

Can't upgrade my firmware

my k-x says i am using 1.0 so i downloaded the newst one and when i go to install it .. it just sits on a black screen forever .. i even let it set for like 30 minutes

07-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jupzchris Quote
my k-x says i am using 1.0 so i downloaded the newst one and when i go to install it .. it just sits on a black screen forever .. i even let it set for like 30 minutes
I just upgraded mine and it went without a hitch and seems to have helped the battery level indicator issue. Did you contact Pentax? They have great on-line chat support. I've used them a few times and they have always been great help.

Here's the link... http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/live-chat/

Last edited by jwiles; 07-23-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Added Pentax on-line support link.
07-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Assuming you didn't brick the camera (it still works), you're probably doing it wrong. Copy the BIN file (make sure you have the one for your Kx) to a Formatted (empty) card. Make sure you have charged batteries installed. Put the card in the camera and while holding the Menu button, turn on the camera. You should see a yes/no question to update the firmware. Select yes and then Touch NOTHING until it completes (it will say so and the card access light will blink). That should be all there is to it.

07-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Assuming you didn't brick the camera (it still works), you're probably doing it wrong. Copy the BIN file (make sure you have the one for your Kx) to a Formatted (empty) card. Make sure you have charged batteries installed. Put the card in the camera and while holding the Menu button, turn on the camera. You should see a yes/no question to update the firmware. Select yes and then Touch NOTHING until it completes (it will say so and the card access light will blink). That should be all there is to it.

And make sure that you copy the BIN file to the root directory of you SD card, not into the DCIM folder, the camera won't find it there. Copy the file so that you see both the DCIM folder and the BIN file side by side in the directory.

07-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

There have been previous posts highlighting that the batteries must be fully-charged to perform the firmware update with the K-x.

Make sure that you have good quality, fully-charged batteries before starting the update.

Last edited by hcc; 07-23-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Typos
07-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
And make sure that you copy the BIN file to the root directory of you SD card, not into the DCIM folder, the camera won't find it there. Copy the file so that you see both the DCIM folder and the BIN file side by side in the directory.
You are correct but that's why I said Empty. Of all the problems people have updating the firmware, having the BIN file in the DCIM directory is the most common cause. If the card is empty, there's no DCIM directory to confuse things. Either way, it works (or should).

07-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Make sure you have the correct file. In the case of the upgrade for a K20D (I do not have a KX) you need to download the file, then unzip it. the copy the BIN file and the Readme.txt (per instruction) to an Empty SD card. then follow the instruction. Good luck.
07-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #8

How do you check the firmware that you have? I tried googling it, but all I get are a bunch of sites announcing the new firmware. Thanks.

07-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Checking firmware version

QuoteQuote:
How do you check the firmware that you have? I tried googling it, but all I get are a bunch of sites announcing the new firmware. Thanks.
On my K10 I hold down the "menu" button while turning the camera on and the version number is displayed on the rear screen.
07-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
On my K10 I hold down the "menu" button while turning the camera on and the version number is displayed on the rear screen.
Its the same for the Kx.