Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

AE-L vs auto iso

For those who are using old primes, which do you prefer?

AE-L is kind of similar to aperture priority. I find that it is not very reliable in that I have to press it with almost every shot depending on how reflective the subject is.

Sometimes the shutter speed is too low in low light and the image comes out looking brighter than natural. Vice versa, on a sunny day, it tends to set the speed too high making it darker than natural.
All this fiddling sometimes takes too long in addition to MF, and by then the subject is gone.

I haven't use auto iso much, but with a few shots, it actually looks more natural than AE-L set shutter speed function.

07-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't understand the distinction you are making here. Assuming you are talking about K-mount primes that lack an "A" position on the aperture ring, there is only one mode you can possibly use: M (unless you don't mind shooting wide open all the time, in which case you can use Av). And Auto ISO isn't available in M mode on any Pentax camera as far as I know. AE-L is also irrelevant when shooting M mode - exposure is already locked. Unless you are using a camera where AE-L is the button you press to do what on other cameras is done by the Green button - setting a shutter speed for you. In which case, that's really the only option. I mean, you can set a shutter speed yourself using the dial, too. But you wouldn't normally need to change exposure on every shot - only when the light changes. Unless you 8want* all your subjects to come out 18% gray, rather than having dark subjects look dark and light subjects look light.