Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #1

built-in flash button fell off of the K-7

So I'm in Philly visiting friends, and want to make indoor shots. I push the built-in flash button to open it, and -- horrors! -- the button just falls off of my K-7. Fortunately, I found it. Doesn't look like any specific breakage, and from the looks of it, not at all clear what made it come off and how can I put it back on. Any ideas?

07-24-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AFAIK the button is physically connected to the flash release lever, so something somewhere must have snapped. If not, then I would start by trying some super glue, or if it were to void your warranty, I'd send the camera in.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Just send the camera in so that Pentax knows what is happening to their cameras!
07-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How does the back of the button looks like?

07-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
How does the back of the button looks like?
???? I'm guessing black? LOL!
07-26-2010, 12:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
???? I'm guessing black? LOL!
I am assuming here they are looking for the physical characteristics of the button to see if there is any obvious breakages, or to possibly help the OP to attach it.
07-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
I am assuming here they are looking for the physical characteristics of the button to see if there is any obvious breakages, or to possibly help the OP to attach it.
Exactly.
07-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #8

Original Poster
Nothing ragged, just a place for a pin in the center. It simply fell off, no sound, no force, nothing! And now I'd have to send it off in the summer or carry the external flash with me in low light... Never happened with the K-10D.

04-24-2013, 04:27 AM   #9

This just happened to mine over the weekend. We had been camping and I was on a hike down at the Brazos River banks when I noticed my camera making a whistling sound like a dog toy whenever I zoomed my lenses in and out. I don't want to upgrade right now, and I don't think it would be worth the expense of sending it in to CRIS Camera in Pheonix (Pentax USA repair contractor) to have it repaired. I figured out how to get the pop up to come up without much effort for now. Looks like I'll be using some tape to keep the dirt/water out of the hole until I get a new camera.
09-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #10

This also just happened to me. Pulled my camera out yesterday to shoot and heard some whistling/felt a draft when I went to zoom. No button! Has anyone either repaired this themselves or sent it in? What is the cost? I found the parts diagram and could order the part, but don't know if just sticking the button back on there will do anything, or if I have to take the thing apart and re-attach something. Any suggestions?
09-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #11

I'm pretty sure that mine broke off with a piece still in there. If that is the case for you, you'll have to dismantle the camera to replace it. I have not dismantled a camera since the ZX-7/5 days, and then I was following a repair manual obtained on ebay.

Personally I hate the look of the pop-up flash, and my DA* 16-50 and DA* 60-250 lenses cast shadows on subjects when trying to use it. Also I just don't like the look of the pictures I get with it. I only use it as the transmitter for wireless mode with my Metz 48-AF1 (in combination with the Nikon SG-3IR).

On mine, I took a pocket knife and carved a fingernail recess into the side of the pop-up flash flange. This doesn't take away from its functionality and is hardly noticeable. Honestly, I think the flash button broke because I fidget with stuff and that's one of the more common things I fidget with when I have my camera in hand.
09-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #12

Thanks for the reply. I would have to assume the same thing happened to mine. Although I did not find the piece that fell off, so it's hard to say. I also don't hear anything loose or jiggling around in there. It's very hard to tell from the parts diagram how the mechanism works.

Can you attach a picture of what you did with the knife? I assume this allows you to still use the flash? I haven't tried very hard to pry the flash up yet for fear of snapping something else. If there is some way to still use it without the button, I'd be inclined to try that.

I'm bummed about this considering the "tank-like" reputation that this camera is supposed to have. I bought it used in basically mint condition a year ago and have been very kind to it. Pretty sad that this piece is so flimsy.
09-19-2013, 03:26 AM   #13

First time I've uploaded pictures here, so we'll see how well it works.

My button actually got lose on me earlier on the day it fell off. I stopped messing with it when it got lose. It fell off when I had hiked out to the banks of the Brazos river. Since then I've had some black electrical tape over the hole.

Even though I've carved this recess in the corner of the flash, I still try to keep the strain off of the catch that holds the flash closed by pushing the flash to one side and slightly forward as I pull it up, in hopes that it won't break the catch or wear it down too much.

As for the reputation and nature of the product, I work as a design engineer for a very large company and can say that all products have their flaws. Some are due to management decisions. Some come from give and take to reduce costs, weight, assembly time, etc. Some come political decisions within the company. Most are just things the engineering team didn't think about or didn't think would cause it to break. Besides, this is the first of this "body style". I would hope that they have fixed some of these issues when they went to the K-5 or K-5 II.

Good luck with your camera and happy shooting!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio WG-2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio WG-2  Photo 
09-19-2013, 04:49 AM   #14

Thanks for the photos. So that little edge allows you to release the pop-up flash?

I have reached out to Pentax's parts department and asked for pricing for the button and a few of the other parts for the mechanism. If they are cheap enough, I'll probably pick them up and fiddle around with them. Otherwise, I'll try something like you have done.

Thanks again.
09-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #15

Yes, it was just enough for me to get a fingernail under it to pull the flash up. If you push forward on back of the flash, just next to the viewfinder, while also pushing the front of the flash to the left or right, you should be able to get a fingernail under the edge of the flash and get it to come up. It doesn't take a lot of force to get it up either.