Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How well does K-7 AF assist work?

This week while shooting some flash shots in very low light with my manfrotto bracket, I realized that having your best AF assist on the end of a long stick can be a significant handicap. The better Pentax flashes have AF assist with a nice range (>20'). How is the range on the built-in AF assist on the K-7? How does it work on walls, etc.?

07-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The interior photos here look kind of crappy because they are pushed close to 3 stops but I've found that the AF assist worked quite well. I don't know about greater than 20 feet but I've not had an issue with the Surface the lamp was shining on (some of those photos were manual focus as well).

Louisville July 2010 - a set on Flickr

07-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have used the AF assist lamp built into my K7 several times for basic point and shoot type situations and found that it does a pretty good job. About your specific question about "on walls" In almost any situation if your talking a pure white wall or something without any detail then autofocus will have a tendency to hunt and try and get focus sometimes it gets it right, other times it misses. That's more a product of auto focus rather than the lamp. Some Flash assist lamps lamps project a pattern which helps the auto focus work better (even in situations like a blank wall), the K7 lamp doesn't.
07-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jon in SC Quote
I have used the AF assist lamp built into my K7 several times for basic point and shoot type situations and found that it does a pretty good job. About your specific question about "on walls" In almost any situation if your talking a pure white wall or something without any detail then autofocus will have a tendency to hunt and try and get focus sometimes it gets it right, other times it misses. That's more a product of auto focus rather than the lamp. Some Flash assist lamps lamps project a pattern which helps the auto focus work better (even in situations like a blank wall), the K7 lamp doesn't.
Like he said, flat walls, no contrast, no focus. But in general the AF assist lamp works good.

07-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It works well. It's very bright.