Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
Edit: Well, I downloaded and installed Ver. 1.01. Are there newer versions somewhere?
If you downloaded it from Pentax Japan you have the latest version. Pentax is the only publisher of Pentax K-x firmware so there is nowhere else to go.

1.01 is the latest firmware for the K-x. Other Pentax cameras may have different firmware versions but they wont work on the K-x.

07-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just turned the K-x on for the first time, holding down the Menu button. It says version 1.00. The link only shows version 1.01 available for the K-x. I know I've seen posts saying that there's a version 1.02 and I think maybe even 1.03. Is it possible or advisable for me to find and use one of those post-1.01 versions?

Edit: Well, I downloaded and installed Ver. 1.01. Are there newer versions somewhere?
If that's what is there then that's it. That's the reason I pointed you to Pentax Japan because they always have THE latest. They just posted a new one for the K7 so maybe a Kx update is coming soon. Don't know, just keep a watch on it and the forums to stay informed. Even in a single version number, v1.01, they may do several 'silent' updates to little things. Most times, it won't really be anything That important but they are well known for slipping in a minor fix here and there and not telling anyone.

07-28-2010, 02:35 AM   #33
Site Supporter

I just turned the K-x on for the first time, holding down the Menu button. It says version 1.00. The link only shows version 1.01 available for the K-x. I know I've seen posts saying that there's a version 1.02 and I think maybe even 1.03. Is it possible or advisable for me to find and use one of those post-1.01 versions?

Nope, that's the latest one.
07-28-2010, 06:39 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If that's what is there then that's it. That's the reason I pointed you to Pentax Japan because they always have THE latest. They just posted a new one for the K7 so maybe a Kx update is coming soon. Don't know, just keep a watch on it and the forums to stay informed. Even in a single version number, v1.01, they may do several 'silent' updates to little things. Most times, it won't really be anything That important but they are well known for slipping in a minor fix here and there and not telling anyone.

i just checked the kx fw from the jp site. hasn't changed. same checksum as the older one... yet
hopefully, pentax will not forget its little k7 sibling, the kx, and will silently or officially update its fw as well.

07-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If you downloaded it from Pentax Japan you have the latest version. Pentax is the only publisher of Pentax K-x firmware so there is nowhere else to go.

1.01 is the latest firmware for the K-x. Other Pentax cameras may have different firmware versions but they wont work on the K-x.
Thanks. I guess it was Pentax Japan. I got it here:

Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
07-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Thanks. I guess it was Pentax Japan. I got it here:

Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

Still haven't attached a lens. I wanted a little confidence concerning dust/contaminants, having read some thread material on what appears to be an issue for all DSLR owners, dust/etc. on the sensor, etc. I ordered a Giottos large rocket blower last night (Adorama through Amazon. I looked for a link to Adorama here in the forums but couldn't find it). They say always point the opening of the camera down when detaching and attaching lenses. I haven't attached or detached a lens to an SLR since I had my Nikon F in 1969 or so. Does the manual give any instructions on doing that. I know, it's probably a no-brainer. Or is it?
07-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #37
Site Supporter

it's a no-brainer.

always better to attach/remove a lens with the camera front(lens side) pointed down.
gravity applies to all, dust included

i sometimes have to remind myself of this "rule". i do forget and leave the camera horizontal sometimes.
07-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
it's a no-brainer.

always better to attach/remove a lens with the camera front(lens side) pointed down.

i sometimes have to remind myself of this "rule". i do forget and leave the camera horizontal sometimes.
Well, if you do this, the lens has to have the open side up, so you can't win entirely. If dust settles on the open portion of the lens it can transfer to the inside of the camera. Over time, if you attach and detach lenses a few hundred times this will account for some significant dust getting in.

07-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Look at the first part of the manual "Before you Start" and you will find ut all kinds of interesting things-like attaching the lens. It's easy. I love my K-X. Just got it a couple of months ago. I know the manual is kind of a whopper. I just took the camera out, found something I wanted to shoot, then looked in the manual for hints and tips. I now have numerous folders on my laptop-test 1, test 2 and so on. I practiced stopping water movement while I had the sprinkler in my flower bed. Took about 30 or more shots and got a couple I liked. Looked at the EXIF data and now I know I can get those shots again.
07-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #40
Forum Member

Does the camera come with a printed manual? If not, I'll download it and print it today! Thanks for the ideas and encouragement!
Probably been answered, but I haven't worked all way down the thread.

It does come with a pretty decent printed manual.

Surprising in a way, as almost all tech-gadgets ship with pretty crappy printed material (no-body reads them, right?) and rely on a CD-ROM or online for more detailed.

My own approach on manuals has been give it a good "skim", reading in details things that catch your eye or specificly interest you. That way, you know where things are in the book. Then you can start to use and learn, referring to the book as you encounter questions you need answered.

This approach generally assumes some knowlege of the subject matter, and the less familier with something, read in more detail during the skim.
07-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #41
Forum Member

it's a no-brainer.

True enough. The Kx seems especially prone to dust on the sensor (or showing it at least).
07-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #42
Site Supporter

Well, if you do this, the lens has to have the open side up, so you can't win entirely. If dust settles on the open portion of the lens it can transfer to the inside of the camera. Over time, if you attach and detach lenses a few hundred times this will account for some significant dust getting in.
true, that's why i have a step 2.
always have a blower handy.
before i mount the lens, i give the rear end of the lens a few puffs of air

there's no way to 100% prevent dirt from getting in.
we can only minimize it.
07-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #43

Original Poster
true, that's why i have a step 2.
always have a blower handy.
before i mount the lens, i give the rear end of the lens a few puffs of air

there's no way to 100% prevent dirt from getting in.
we can only minimize it.
Sensible! My Giottos large rocket blower is in shipment. It's gonna be too big to keep in my bag(s) so maybe I'll pick up something smaller, maybe one of those ear irrigation bulbs at the local pharmacy.
07-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ventured Quote
Probably been answered, but I haven't worked all way down the thread.

It does come with a pretty decent printed manual.

Surprising in a way, as almost all tech-gadgets ship with pretty crappy printed material (no-body reads them, right?) and rely on a CD-ROM or online for more detailed.

My own approach on manuals has been give it a good "skim", reading in details things that catch your eye or specificly interest you. That way, you know where things are in the book. Then you can start to use and learn, referring to the book as you encounter questions you need answered.

This approach generally assumes some knowlege of the subject matter, and the less familier with something, read in more detail during the skim.
I totally agree, I am extremely impressed with the quality of the manual. on a scale of 1-20 it's at least a 19 for proper use of English. Clarity? Well, it's too early for me to say. I'm not a complete noob (I have owned an SLR and 2 1/4 Rollei, both film cameras), a P&S digicam since early 2004, been haunting the forums and Amazon for the last 2 years in preparation for getting a better camera (decided on the K-x about 2 weeks ago). The manual's fantastic so far, but I think I'm going to be scratching my head about some of it until I get my feet wet in some of that stuff. I think my P&S has WB adjustments, but I've never used them. Well, part of the problem with my getting deep into photography is that I'm partially colorblind, I have deuteranopia to be specific, also known as green blindness. I believe I'm totally green blind. I guess that's one reason I concentrated my film efforts with B&W. Well, it's also because it is a lot easier and cheaper to work in B&W. The film is cheap, it's easy to process the negatives and make prints in a darkroom. However, in the digicam world, WB is something I might not be able to get into like some other people because I don't see color images like other people. I do see color, I just don't have any green cones in my eyes. In any case I can enjoy photography immensely, however I might have trouble dealing with things like WB.

Last edited by Muse; 07-30-2010 at 02:09 PM.
07-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #45
Ira
Inactive Account

In any case I can enjoy photography immensely, however I might have trouble dealing with things like WB.
No you want. Ridiculous:

When you shoot in RAW, it doesn't matter how your WB is set--you can easily and perfectly adjust when you open the file. Plus, auto WB even in JPEG only mode works damn good--and you can easily adjust THAT to your liking.

It might not be something you're used to working with, but it's no big deal at all. And it will open a whole new world of opportunities for you.