Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x coming in a couple of days

This will be my first DSLR, have shot a digital P&S for 6.5 years (Samsung Digimax V3, 3.2mp with viewfinder and LCD, an OK camera but minimum 9 seconds between shots!). I ordered the 2 kit lens package, including the 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses. Ordered a few accessories to start:

3rd party hoods, Op/Tech Pro strap
2 sets of Eneloop AA's
Already have an OK tripod, lens cleaning kits
Thinking about eventually getting the Tamron 28-75MM F2.8 XR Di Lens
Need to get a bag of some sort to carry it around (suggestions appreciated)

What's the logical progression in:

1. Getting to know the equipment

2. Testing to make sure everything's OK

Last edited by Muse; 07-24-2010 at 10:25 AM.
07-24-2010, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
This will be my first DSLR, have shot a digital P&S for 6.5 years (Samsung Digimax V3, 3.2mp with viewfinder and LCD, an OK camera but minimum 9 seconds between shots!). I ordered the 2 kit lens package, including the 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses. Ordered a few accessories to start:

3rd party hoods, Op/Tech Pro strap
2 sets of Eneloop AA's
Already have an OK tripod, lens cleaning kits
Thinking about eventually getting the Tamron 28-75MM F2.8 XR Di Lens
Need to get a bag of some sort to carry it around (suggestions appreciated)

What's the logical progression in:

1. Getting to know the equipment

2. Testing to make sure everything's OK
Congrats on your new camera!

In regards to your questions,

#1, Read the manual and take pictures.
#2, See #1

I'll add a #3

Have fun!

07-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Congrats on your new camera!

In regards to your questions,

#1, Read the manual and take pictures.
#2, See #1

I'll add a #3

Have fun!

Does the camera come with a printed manual? If not, I'll download it and print it today! Thanks for the ideas and encouragement!
07-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

While doing number 1, number 2 will inevitably happen...reading through the manual end to end is all you have to do and everything will fall into place

As for bags, I recommend the Incase DSLR sling, it's fast, stylish and really well designed, and will be able to fit your camera, a few lenses and an external flash when you get around to it.

Also it's really important to buy a tripod, a cheap one will work at the start, but like me you'll soon crave a more expensive one, at least a hundred dollars on the legs and head if not 2 of 3 hundred, but for now you need at least one tripod that will hold the Kx

07-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
While doing number 1, number 2 will inevitably happen...reading through the manual end to end is all you have to do and everything will fall into place

As for bags, I recommend the Incase DSLR sling, it's fast, stylish and really well designed, and will be able to fit your camera, a few lenses and an external flash when you get around to it.

Also it's really important to buy a tripod, a cheap one will work at the start, but like me you'll soon crave a more expensive one, at least a hundred dollars on the legs and head if not 2 of 3 hundred, but for now you need at least one tripod that will hold the Kx
I'm seeing two cases like that:

DSLR Incase Product

Is the one you like one of those?
07-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm seeing two cases like that:

DSLR Incase Product

Is the one you like one of those?
Yes the "sling pack" is the one I have and love

in my mind the carrying case is overpriced and virtually every other camera and camera bag manufacturer makes cheaper and probably better alternatives to the carrying case, but the Incase sling pack seems a lot more understated and sleeker than other sling packs I've seen, especially the Lowepro's
07-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

It comes with the manual, and since you ordered the 55-300 and are thinking about getting that Tammy 28-75, you're in like flint. Smart, smart choices.

The first time you go out though, do yourself a favor:

Leave the bag with everything in it at home and just shoot for a full day with one lens, no tripod. There's nothing to be gained in learning the camera's controls by switching lenses in the beginning.

07-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
It comes with the manual, and since you ordered the 55-300 and are thinking about getting that Tammy 28-75, you're in like flint. Smart, smart choices.
Agreed about the lenses choices. The kit lens, the 55-300 and the 28-75 are probably some of the best zooms for the money.
07-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Does the camera come with a printed manual? If not, I'll download it and print it today! Thanks for the ideas and encouragement!
It would be worth downloading one anyway. The Index and all page references are hotlinked so you can look up what you need to by point and click. If the outfit doesn't come with a printed manual then you either got a used (and returned) unit, an opened one (demo), or a gray market (with no warranty).

07-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

In coming across from a point and shoot, another thing to be aware of is that any DSLR (including the K-x) is going to have a different (much smaller) depth of field than your point and shoot, due to the sensor size differences between a P&S and a DSLR.

This means that where you may be used to taking shots wide open with a point and shoot and having foreground and background all in focus, with a DSLR that generally isn't going to happen in the same way, unless you go really wide.

You generally have to be more aware of depth of field when using a DSLR than when using a P&S. This might take some getting used to.

To supplement your reading of the manual , here are also some excellent general tutorials that I've found very useful:

Digital Photography Tutorials

My other bit of advice to a new K-x user would be to stick to using the 'auto-everything' AUTO PICT mode for the first few days, until you get used to all the camera controls, rather than jumping straight into Manual mode or something.

Oh, and I'd also strongly suggest that you NOT put any UV or 'protection' filters on your lenses. They can really hurt image quality and will cause all sorts of issues that will get you thinking there is something wrong with you or the camera. Just always use a lens hood if you want to protect the front element of your lenses.
07-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Agreed about the lenses choices. The kit lens, the 55-300 and the 28-75 are probably some of the best zooms for the money.
Yeah, I read a lot of posts in developing these ideas about what lenses to get. At Amazon, one guy went into tons of detail abut the 28-75, even linking several reviews. He completely sold me on the lens. My feeling is that in a lot of situations, the 28-75 is all the lens I'd need to get great results. There's just one thing that has me skittish, besides spending the money, and that's the fact that this lens has QC issues and many have problems. I'm a DSLR newbie and wouldn't know how to evaluate a lens to determine if it's OK, soft or whatever. So, I think I'll wait a while before making a move on the Tamron until I have my feet beneath me, get some good hands on experience evaluating my (and others') shots for quality.
07-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

The first time you go out though, do yourself a favor:

Leave the bag with everything in it at home and just shoot for a full day with one lens, no tripod. There's nothing to be gained in learning the camera's controls by switching lenses in the beginning.
At Amazon it says:

What's in the Box
  • USB Cable I-USB7
  • Strap O-ST53
  • Hotshoe Cover FK
  • Eyecup FQ
  • Body Mount Cover
  • Software CD-ROM S-SW99
  • AA Lithium Batteries (x4)
I haven't seen a site where it says it includes the printed manual. I'm hoping, of course. Mine is highly unlikely to be gray goods. I bought it from a dealer at Amazon. It's certainly not a refurb either.
07-25-2010, 12:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My Kx and K7 both came with printed manuals for both the camera and the lenses, regardless of what was said to be included
07-25-2010, 01:32 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
My Kx and K7 both came with printed manuals for both the camera and the lenses, regardless of what was said to be included
Thanks. So did my Samsung Digimax V3 P&S. I believe there was a separate one in Spanish! Nice enough manual.

I'll download the manual anyway. Always great to have a digital version for searches.
07-25-2010, 06:58 AM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

A tidbit:

I shoot 95% at ISO 100, because it's usually real sunny where I live. So if you plan on not using auto ISO (I don't), and you ever want to get that low, keep this in mind:

1) You have to turn Expanded Sensitivity on.

2) You have to turn Highlight Correction off.

Otherwise, the lowest is 200.