Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Split focussing screen on pentamirror vs pentaprism

Hi, I have just bought a jinfinance double split focussing screen- it is ok for the money but I am having black out issues when using lenses at f5.6 (only indoors though)
I don't really mind this so much as the viewfinder is brighter with f1.7 lenses so i'm happy with the trade off

I was wondering whether using a camera with a pentaprism would yield a brighter viewfinder? The finder in my DL (pentamirror) is pretty dim anyway, and comparing it to the k7 it didnt seem much brighter or much bigger- so I was wondering whether using a split prism would have more of an effect

also i'm thinking of getting rid of the DL and i'm getting conflicting information about whether the screen will fit in other camera's, primarily interested in the kx, guess it definitely won't fit in the k7...

If i was to upgrade and couldn't use the screen, would I be better off using a katzeye screen or cutting down an old film camera

I was playing around with a canon 7d the other day and noticed how big and bright the viewfinder is (even bigger than the d300 I use), I was instantly addicted and wonder why the pentax k7 finder is so much smaller

07-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The split screens usually don't work very well below F5.6, but yes, a pentaprism should be brighter than a pentamirror. The DSLR viewfinders are no match for the ones in film bodies- especially the older ones- however.
07-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The split screens usually don't work very well below F5.6, but yes, a pentaprism should be brighter than a pentamirror. The DSLR viewfinders are no match for the ones in film bodies- especially the older ones- however.
yeah, my flatmate shoots with a pentax K2 and I love it to death. The 7D viewfinder is incredible though, nearly as impressive as the d700 I was obsessing over

regarding the jinfinance screen, I have read that there's a film you must remove from the screen- I'm 99% sure there is no film on the screen i recieved, if anyone has ever installed one of these before, is the film really visible, or did my screen have no film
07-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The film on mine was pretty obvious

As to the brightness get an istD

07-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The film on mine was pretty obvious

As to the brightness get an istD

There must have been no film on it then

I can't believe the istD has a bigger viewfinder than the k7, that's crazy

will the screen from my DL fit in the kx- if it did, I would be quite interested in getting one as a direct replacement for my DL, and then getting a pro spec WR body further down the line
07-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I have a Travore double split in my K200d which is a Pentamirror. It didn't have any film on it either. It was in a case.
07-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Welcome to the world of split-image. Blackout at apertures narrower than f/4 is pretty standard and was so even back in the film days. The Katz Eye screens are a little better in this regard, but not totally immune.

Steve
07-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The KatzEye website claims their "Plus" prism "delays the prism ‘blackout’ phenomenon until well after f11". Whether or not this is true is another issue. Been thinking about picking up one...

07-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
The KatzEye website claims their "Plus" prism "delays the prism ‘blackout’ phenomenon until well after f11". Whether or not this is true is another issue. Been thinking about picking up one...
It's more(realistically) around f/8
But it depends on the viewfinder characteristics.
On our K200D it began around f5.6, but the K20D would gain a stop.
It gets in the way at or around f/8 but it can be worked around(by shifting the eye a bit).
By f/11 its time to look elsewhere than in the center of the screen

And of course its rarely an with all but the completely manual type lenses(M42,39, non-A Adaptalls etc etc).