Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Problem with built-in flash (*istDL)

Hi.
I have ist DL, and I have this problem:suddenly between two shots my built-in flash decided not to work in any mode. Camera wouldn't even do auto focus when the flash is up.
I tried turning on the setting "allow shooting while flash charging" as someone suggested ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/31572-omg-did-i-break...ard-flash.html ) and it shoots, but auto focus still wouldn't work.
Any ideas?
My biggest problem is that I live in Bosnia and I don't have any shop anywhere near, so I'll have to manage it by myself, hopefully with help from someone from this forum.

07-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it safe to say that the camera works fine with the flash Down or are there other issues as well? I know that some of the early onboard flashes (even on the K10d) would burn out if the camera were using the flash to strobe as an AF assist lamp. It's possible (I guess) that the AF system is waiting for that strobe to operate before focusing. That's guess work on my part and may be completely wrong. I haven't seen a report of it happening in quite awhile. In any case, it sounds like it may be time for an external shoe mounted flash. It may not be worth repairing the built in one.