Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #1

RAW Therapee

Hi
Does anyone use raw therapee to process pics from a K7, I tried some today and the colours are way off. The sky came out yellow and some house bricks came out blue instead of orange. I could not get any colour to look remotely like it should.

07-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by a johnson Quote
Hi
Does anyone use raw therapee to process pics from a K7, I tried some today and the colours are way off. The sky came out yellow and some house bricks came out blue instead of orange. I could not get any colour to look remotely like it should.

I haven't tried that in ages....but if it is just color you want, I suggest you try a free Silkypix trial. I have never found anything that does better for getting the colors right, although that doesn't mean there aren't some others that can. If it is color where I am concerned, I always turn to Spix.
Regards!
07-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi
Are you talking about RAW (PEF or DNG) files? If so, why not use the software that comes with the camera? Your White Balance is likely off and that Should be able to correct it. If NOT, then this is Why we save the RAW files at picture time. Try Rupert's suggestion (the Pentax software is Silkypix based) and if that doesn't work for you, I believe The Gimp might serve your freebie needs. Though I suggested it to someone else recently, I haven't tried RawTherapee in a couple years.

07-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A simple search for "rawtherapee pentax k7" would have led you to the

K7 RAW conversion with Rawtherapee

thread which you can look up. Short answer, any rawtherapee build of 2.4.1 or newer supports the K-7. Looks like user error.

Jack

07-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Those colors are nearly opposites so maybe the "invert color" or whatever it's called is on. (I'm guessing there is an option like that as I've never used the program).
07-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
Forum Member

Do you use pef?
If so, I just tried out rawtherapee and all the colors are off. blue is orange etc.

You can use Adobe DNG converter to convert the PEF to DNG
its for free available for mac and windows and runs under wine in linux.
07-25-2010, 04:56 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
I did a search of Pentax k7 color on RT's forum site and several threads popped up. I use a
K20 (DNG format )and RawTherapee every once an a while and have not any problems with color. As posted above Gimp is free and a great program.Try posting this question on RTs forum site, if you have not already done so.
Mike

07-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #8

Faststone image viewer

I always shoot RAW and after trying a lot of programs, I have been very impressed with the freeware FASTSTONE image viewer. It is very fast and makes viewing PEF very easy. One thing I like doing is select the first file, enter, the piccy is full screen, I and up comes piccy info, select histogram, then use left and right arrows to step through the pictures with the histogram changing for each picture. Use the left mouse button to pixel peep.

Then save any ones I like after adjustments with a compression ratio that delivers the file size I need. Very impressed with this program.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter
07-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
RAWTherapee (which is a fantastic program for the price) typically does this with newer PEF versions, as it originally did with my K20D and then my K-x. Just shoot in DNG and it's not a problem anymore.
07-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info every one, I was useing PEF but looks like I will use DNG now.
08-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #11

RT is very good for resolving fine details and also for shadow lightening but is very slow. Noise reduction is not very good, especially Chroma noise.

I also had a problem with my KX PEF files and had to convert to DNG in order to use RT.

I tried the new v3 beta RT but it crashed my PC.

Faststone must be used with preferences set to show a full sized image after raw conversion - don't use the half sized (faster option) as this uses a lesser quality conversion algorithm. The problem though is that you cannot do any highlight recovery in Faststone. I like the sharpening function in FS but it has no noise reduction function.

I prefer the free Photoscape as it has additional functions such as fill in lighting effects and more effective colour adjustments than Faststone but it also cannot handle highlight recovery, although is makes a good attempt. It has a noise reduction routine which you cannot control - sometimes it works OK but the real issue for both FS and Photoscape is all adjustments are done in Jpeg mode - Silkypix on the other hand does all adjustments in Raw mode, giving you much better control over the end result.
08-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #12

Rawtherapee didn't work on my computer. There seemed to be a poor interface with images not loading properly, wrong colours and probably user incompetence.

I shoot DNG on a K200D and Samsung GX20 and use Photoshop CS3 whenever I have access to a fast computer. Usually I am obliged to use Photoshop 7 (which has no DNG converter) owing to disk and RAM limitations on one of my computers.

Will DNG files from these cameras open with the proprietary Pentax and Samsung software supplied with them?

If not, then Faststone and Photoscape seem to be the only substitutes for Rawtherapee.
08-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

+1 for FastStone
Best image viewer i have used.
RAW conversion is fine
Pete

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
I always shoot RAW and after trying a lot of programs, I have been very impressed with the freeware FASTSTONE image viewer. It is very fast and makes viewing PEF very easy. One thing I like doing is select the first file, enter, the piccy is full screen, I and up comes piccy info, select histogram, then use left and right arrows to step through the pictures with the histogram changing for each picture. Use the left mouse button to pixel peep.

Then save any ones I like after adjustments with a compression ratio that delivers the file size I need. Very impressed with this program.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter
08-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #14

DNG usage

Samsung software will only handle DNG files from Samsung cameras. Samsung has released an improved Software for image handling - based on Silky pix it is much better than the original s/w that came with the GX20.

Since the Pentax cameras can shoot in both PEF and DNG, I assume that the Silky Pix software made for Pentax will process both formats.

In any case, it is hardly an issue to convert PEF files to DNg in order to process them in either Faststone or Photoscape.

I can also recommend Raw Importer by Stepok - it is free and does a reasonable job on converting DNGs to JPEG but it is better if you use it with its associated package called Turbophoto, which is really easy to use and does a heck of a lot of processing on your images - it is really good but will cost you some bucks - if you haven't used it try the free one month trial.
08-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #15

I need to add something else - the only reason to use RAW is to give yourself extra processing power over and above what you camera will do. The camera takes a raw image and converts it to jpeg. If you have a well exposed shot in raw, then the camera is likely to generate a better jpeg than you will do in the freeware discussed above.

But if you have under or over exposed, or set the wrong colour balance, then a raw image will give you the power to correct these faults, provided you have the correct software - none of the freeware mentioned above, nor Turbophoto, will give you the power to correct these faults that you will get with the professional level software that comes with the camera or with the expensive aftermarket stuff like Photoshop.

So using freeware to convert raw images to jpegs is largely a waste of time - if you shoot in raw, then you must use a good quality editor and that wont be free.

My practice these days is to shoot both raw and a smaller, 6 mp jpeg with my KX. I get the best of both worlds that way - if the jpegs are good, I keep them and if they are bad, I play with the raw files to improve the image.