Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Which Digital: 200D, G11, etc. for Trekking?

Howdy-

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but could use a little insight from you experienced trekkers. We're going to being doing high altitude trekking this fall, weight is a concern, but I'm planning to take may 200D, with a couple lenses, maybe one lens for the more strenuous days.

However, in light of weight and simplicity I'm considering something like a Canon G11. Have any of you face this dilemna, and been glad you went one direction, wished you'd gone another, etc.?

I'm just looking for a little guidance. I know much depends on person preference, space availability, conditioning, etc.

Many thanks for sharing ideas and experience.

Biff

07-25-2010, 06:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Besides weight and volume, including batteries and charger, the basic consideration is reliability. In harsh environments, a sealed digital camera is less troublesome than an open dSLR system. An advanced P&S / bridge cam is my choice for any extended excursion in less-than-cozy conditions; leave behind the sensor-cleaning kit. And if you stand a chance of falling into a river or lake, you might want a waterproof P&S.

But also consider, how long will you be off-the-grid? Any digicam will eat batteries. On a long-duration back-country trip, without means to charge batteries, the solution would be a simple film camera, non-motorized. An advanced RF/P&S, or a light hand-crank SLR and a couple lenses, maybe half-frame 135 if weight and volume are critical. (I loved my half-frame Olympus Pen-FT; I could carry an entire system in one pocket of a field jacket.) Or for more extreme conditions, an underwater cam like a Nikonos will survive almost anything.

Good luck and have fun!
07-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I went to Romania about two months ago and took my K-7 plus three lenses up in the Fagaras mountains. As you can (barely) see on IMGP1706 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!, I carried the DSLR and one lens in a LowePro Off Trail 1 and the two extra lenses in the LowePro's lens cases, which I managed to attach to my backpack.

This way, it was certainly doable. The only downside was that the lens cases blocked my arms from swinging alongside my body. But most of the time we were either climbing or descending anyway, so my arms were either in front or behind the lens cases. I now have a 17-70 though, to replace two out of the three lenses. So next time I'll only need the Off Trail 1 and a single lens case attached to the carbiners. So it'll be more convenient.

The bottom line: you can probably bring along more equipment than you think. You just need to figure out how to carry it.
07-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. Reliability and weight are concerns, and I think space won't be a concern as we'll only need to carry daypacks, and I plan to bring a large one. I just don't know that I want to spend the additional money for another camera when I have the 200D. Size is a consideration when one is under exertion. Maybe an Optio 90, or G11, which I can also still use.

I guess I'm leaning towards the 200D with WR 18-55 or 16-45.

Thanks for any and all input/experience!

07-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
I guess I'm leaning towards the 200D with WR 18-55 or 16-45.
Wanna buy mine? Haven't even posted it in this forum yet, but if you're interested...
07-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have one, but thanks for the offer.
07-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would suggest image quality as a possible additional consideration. I also have an LX3 which is the same class of camera as a G11. There is a difference in image quality between my LX3 and either my K100 or K20 (sensor size). If I am really tight on room in my luggage, then its reluctantly my LX3 - otherwise my K20 if I can swing it. My dSLRs have much better IQ than my p&s (obviously), and each trip I take the LX3 on - I like the images very much, but they would be much better images taken with the SLR....

07-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been toying around with the PENTAX Optio W90 and I think it makes for a perfect small all conditions camera. Shockproof, waterproof to 6m and compact when you can't carry a lot.

07-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Find things to leave out of your pack like underwear and toothpaste. Your friends will probably let you use their toothpaste.
07-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
I went to Romania about two months ago and took my K-7 plus three lenses up in the Fagaras mountains. As you can (barely) see on IMGP1706 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I checked out your photo album and it looks like a great trip!
07-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I've been toying around with the PENTAX Optio W90 and I think it makes for a perfect small all conditions camera. Shockproof, waterproof to 6m and compact when you can't carry a lot.
I usually carry my W80 together with my DSLR to make better use of which one is best suited for the job for a particular moment.
If quick shots are needed, then the W80 can be easily whipped out but if careful planning and great shots are to be taken, then the bigger camera comes out.
07-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm starting to think that I'll weigh stuff and see if I can work a harness with the daypack check harness to make the 200D quickly accessible. An Optio90 or other P&S would be a quicker draw, but additional weight if I'm carrying the WR 200D anyway. Maybe I replace my wife's older P&S with an Optio90. If I can't rig a comfortable harness system I'll put the DSLR in the pack and Optio in a pocket. A harness would work best. I've never liked carrying an SLR/DSLR around my neck, always opt for the shoulder, but that won't work on the trek.

Thanks for the ideas and humor. . . more are always welcome!
07-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Panasonic Lumix GF1 Field Test — 16 Days in the Himalayas
07-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
WOW, DWB, thanks for that link. That is an incredible camera, and temptation. Now, do I sell some Pentax gear to fund this puppy?... I'm going to read that whole review. I still really like my Pentax.
07-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I haven't used one myself yet, but I did just buy one in mint condition on eBay for $650 w/ the 20mm pancake.

Pretty excited to try it out myself!