Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Great there's been an update, but somewhat surprised that once again features nobody asked for have been worked on and features people have asked for havn't. Ie ability to switch off DFS above 30s.
Plenty of people asked for the ability to have the level sensor and exposure level indicator in manual / flash sync modes, as a forum search will confirm.

I seem to remember plenty of folks commenting that they'd like faster AF in live view as well, albeit not as many as the previous point.

People tend to make the mistake of thinking their own personal desires are universal, when the fact is, they're not. What one person wants or needs is not necessarily what another does. I'd wager there were people asking for every change Pentax made, as well as plenty they didn't.

07-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #62

Photos: Gallery
Better AF is always better. But I'm not at all happy about the AF engaging always in LV where you previously had a convenient choice between AF and MF just by pressing or not pressing the AF button.
Yes you can argue that you still have that choice by setting the button to deactivate AF. But if you do, where do you find the finger to simultaneously press the Info button to magnify the view for focusing?
LV is very much something you need in macro and this has now been complicated. The special focus clutch on the Pentax lenses has been made useless.
The solution would be to add choices in the Settings menu 14, AF with Press Halfway: 3. Off in Live View only

Last edited by Kameraten; 07-29-2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: spelling
07-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Having AF engaging in Live View Only when you press the AF button is still perfectly settable.
Set AF Press Halfway with Shutter Button to OFF
Set AF Button to Activate Autofocus.

Pentax has simply made the AF Button and Half-Press Shutter button functionality consistent between Viewfinder work and LiveView.
I recall many users have wanted that, myself included. I have had at least a few unfocused LiveView shots along the way from forgetting the LV AF didn't get triggered when I pressed the shutter button.
07-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Having AF engaging in Live View Only when you press the AF button is still perfectly settable.
Set AF Press Halfway with Shutter Button to OFF
Set AF Button to Activate Autofocus.
Of course. But that's not a practical solution using OVF which still is the main mode when speed is required. Uniformity is good mostly in theory.

07-30-2010, 01:26 AM   #65

And now a new bug? This is what I just got, using LV:

This was after the camera suddenly started underexposing seriously in LV. Afterwards, it didn't repeat it.
Note: There's no change to shutter, aperture or ISO !

Last edited by Kameraten; 07-30-2010 at 01:32 AM. Reason: addendum
07-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #66

I have tried today the film reverse mode and found it not good at all. Grey water of a river turned Blue -ish oversaturated green , (too) strong contrast .
Still using the bright mode but find this one a bit with an overcast and have to give it a tad more contrast all the time. So finally no mode gives me the Jpeg output I want and I have to postprocess. I will try to finetune one of the modes to my likings again but the new mode is a strange addition to my taste
07-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If that were the case they would have limited B mode exposures or done away with it all together. As you note, the shutter closes when the sensor begins to overheat but I've done far more than 5 minutes of Video, consistently. If yours is shutting down short of that then you likely need a different card because it cannot keep up with the buffer.

Good point, but not caused by the card (San-disk 16Gb class 10 ).
It was just stinking hot outside. Picked up the camera and it felt hot from ambient,
was not really surprised about the high temp shut down.
Something else is going on with this sensor!

Cheers, Mike.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 07-30-2010 at 04:32 PM.
07-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by allill Quote
Thanks for this! My camera had 1.00 on it, still.
My K-7 at work still has 1.00, nice to have a benchmark.

07-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If that were the case they would have limited B mode exposures or done away with it all together. As you note, the shutter closes when the sensor begins to overheat but I've done far more than 5 minutes of Video, consistently. If yours is shutting down short of that then you likely need a different card because it cannot keep up with the buffer.

You are up in Michigan. It gets little warmer down here at mid-Atlantic..
Cheers, Mike.
07-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
My K-7 at work still has 1.00, nice to have a benchmark.

If you have one with 1.00 are you able to run any performance, noise, video comparisons between 1.1 and 1.0?
07-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a lot of work.
Cheers, Mike.
07-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #72
Inactive Account

Good point, but not caused by the card (San-disk 16Gb class 10 ).
It was just stinking hot outside. Picked up the camera and it felt hot from ambient,
was not really surprised about the high temp shut down.
Something else is going on with this sensor!

Cheers, Mike.
You are up in Michigan. It gets little warmer down here at mid-Atlantic..
Cheers, Mike.
Haven't had any triple digits here but it's still been plenty hot and humid. All that damn south borne air flowing up, mixing with our nice cool air, giving us some pretty wicked storms. Admittedly, I haven't been out shooting much in this weather and no video so I cannot argue against your point. My main point was, again, that if Pentax wanted to protect the sensor by putting a time limit on exposures and live view operations, they would have done it from the get go. Would have been simpler from a software standpoint to pick an arbitrary 5 minutes (or whatever they deemed reasonable) and close the shutter at that point, instead of monitoring temperature. Not a lot, but simpler.

I think what got us here (in my case) was DFS. I absolutely hate it. I had what I hoped to be a successful 20 minute star trail exposure, only to loose it to the camera shutting down while waiting for the process to complete. Just before I read the posts that I replied to. Turned off the auto shutoff at that point and will try again at a later date.

07-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #73

Hi guys! First post here.
So can I assume that it is safe to upgrade to 1.10 from 1.00? I got my K7 February this year and I kept putting off upgrading to the next firmware updates prior to 1.10.
Or should I update the firmware in increments...if they are still available.
07-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #74
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by slidetbone Quote
Hi guys! First post here.
So can I assume that it is safe to upgrade to 1.10 from 1.00? I got my K7 February this year and I kept putting off upgrading to the next firmware updates prior to 1.10.
Or should I update the firmware in increments...if they are still available.
Go for it! No need to increment, they are all included.

Welcome to the forums And the K7 club!

07-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #75

No patch for the refusal to recognize the Sigma 8-16 @ <10mm?