Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 08:01 PM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HEEGZ Quote
I can't help you with troubleshooting, but the Sandisk Extreme SDHC class 10 cards have worked great. Continous shooting at 5 FPS for over 40 shots and no problems with HD video capture either. I liked it well enough that I bought a second card last week, both are 8GB capacity.

I had one of those memory error messages with an older Kingston class 4 card when I first purchased the camera. I still use it with my point and shoot with no issues. The Sandisk works great and is probably the only card I will buy in the near future.
+1 for sandisc. No problems with my 16Gb class 10 nor with my 2,4,8 Gb extremes.

07-31-2010, 08:12 PM   #92

Update: So I reformatted both cards in my pc (fat32). When I reinstalled them in the cam they appear to work again. Time will tell. After installing each in the camera i also reformatted them in the camera. Formatting worked again as well.

So perhaps on account of the firmware upgrade from v 1.0 to 1.1, perhaps I shouldn't experience this problem again? Is this valid reasoning?
08-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #93

2nd Update: Question regarding card access lamp... So I took a hundred shots in M mode without a problem. Then I began testing other modes and my memory card error returned when changing mode as well as when the K7 was turned on and off. I began to notice a pattern (when I inadvertently was depressing the shutter button while turning on the camera). When I experience the beginning of the memory card error problem prior to the message I notice that the amount of remaining pictures has become dashes ---- on the LCD panel while the Monitor is still reporting what I believe to be the correct number of photos remaining. When I turn the camera back on again not depressing the shutter the LCD remains as dashes and the Monitor does as well and there is no card access light. When I slightly depress the shutter and turn the camera back on, the access light is on and both sets of numbers appear and the camera acts correctly. Again, this mostly happens in the event i have previously changed modes with the camera either on or off. This entire process is repeatable.

I feel good that I am able to restore my card when I get into a memory card error via reformatting on my pc but this seems to me that the camera is oftentimes not recognizing the card especially after mode changes and in the on/off scenario. Is this a limitation of the camera and/or myself as a new Pentax user in terms of making card access respond so I can evade this problem. From this vantage point it does not seem it is a bad card problem as I am using two new Transcend 32GB SDHC class 10 cards. Seems to me something may be faulty in the Pentax card access system.
08-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #94

3rd Update: Question regarding the batteries. My K7 is less than one week old as are all the batteries (Li-ion). My next step is to eliminate that power is not influencing my results. Perhaps the access system isn't firing on account of a battery issue. So I tested both batteries after full overnite charges; one in the battery grip and the other in the camera. I removed the battery grip and tried all the various combinations with and without the grip and the auto off features and still the same issue. As a matter of fact, when changing the battery from the grip to the camera body itself, it went directly to the memory card error message rather than a dashed display.

I had recalled it seemed that when I was changing modes (at the same time as having the issue) that the mode name would not change on the monitor as i moved the switch around the dial. I had purchased additional batteries from Adorama i.e. Power 2000 for Pentax D-L190 and was told these were as good as the original one for the camera. Indeed I had not yet used the original one for the camera.

So I removed the battery pack and installed the original battery which reported it was still fully charged from the factory. The first thing I noticed was a full deep green sold battery icon. The batteries I had purchased still had black diagonals through them even after overnite charging. Also, with the original battery my mode dial reported the correct modes at all times while I spun it. The access light always worked.

I haven't been able to make the camera fail (yet) in the last two or three hours since I made this change. Perhaps the problem will reoccur, but I'm curious if perhaps a battery anomaly may account for what I am experiencing. Hopefully, this will be the final discovery step before the road to a solution can be reached.

08-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #95
Inactive Account

I doubt I'm going to be of much help with your specific problem but I Have experienced the memory card error with my Sandisk C10 8Gb 30Mb/s. It only happens however when I'm going from my computer's card reader (HP, Win7) to the Camera. I Typically download via USB cable from camera to computer though. Reformatting the card in the camera seems to cure the problem. If it continues, I'll be sending the card to Sandisk for replacement. I haven't experienced this with the v1.1 update but I figure if something is going on, it's only a matter of time.

08-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #96
Site Supporter

Pentax battery that came with your camera, should not be fully charged from factory!.
Takes about 5 hours to charge the D-LI90 first time around.

If your off brand batteries are not showing full charge after being charged over-night, I would send them back for a refund. Just stick with the real Pentax Li-Ions.

Cheers, Mike.
08-02-2010, 05:36 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I ordered 2x 4GB Transcend SDHC Class 10 last week, and should be receiving them today. I'll let you know if I experience problems.
08-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #98
Site Supporter

I love the af in live view. This has always been a hurdle for handing my camera over to a family member or friend for a shot. They expect it to work like a point and shoot, and looking through the eyepiece is a hurdle.

Love it!

08-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I love the af in live view. This has always been a hurdle for handing my camera over to a family member or friend for a shot. They expect it to work like a point and shoot, and looking through the eyepiece is a hurdle.

Love it!
So true! I have the same problem; it makes me feel old to see people who apparently have never looked through a viewfinder before. I have a dilemma now though: I use the AF button only for focusing, and disabled the shutter release for AF when I'm shooting normally, but for live view, when handing the camera to someone else, I want the shutter button to auto focus, as is now permitted by the update. I assume that having "AF with press halfway" set to 2 (off) will disable it in live view too, which is a pity because it's just too much of a hassle to make friends deal with two buttons. Perhaps I can use User mode to deal with that? (one firmware update I'd love to see: multiple user modes, or just the ability to change Green mode to a second user mode. I doubt it'll happen, but it would be nice.)

As soon as my battery's recharged I'm updating. I'm really delighted with Pentax for making these changes.
08-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #100

Photos: Albums
i wish they would also add the video editing on the Kx
08-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #101

firmware downloaded........
the fastest just got faster :-)
no scientific tests but da 40 is blazingly faster, not much hunting too in not so good light
da 21 and da 70 also responding faster
have to try out the firmware with regard to videos though

thank you pentax!!!!
08-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #102

Conclusion: After several hundred shots with the original Pentax Battery the closest I could come to a memory card error was an one unable to save message. I called Adorama and explained what I had experienced to the sales rep and they issued an RMA without any hassle. I like Adorama for that. Luckily, this issue was caught and put to bed in the first week of ownership without too much hassle. The only point I'd like to make is that if you are experiencing memory card errors, also check to see how your other camera settings are operating. Upon closer examination if you are experiencing additional functionality issues, there's a very good chance that the problem is not the memory card but rather the battery. I would suspect that battery demands may be greater when the K7 is utilized with SDHC Class 10 cards as opposed to slower ones. I no longer have memory card errors with the right batteries as the camera appears to function correctly in all aspects.
08-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #103

I noticed that pictures taken before the upgrade show 72dpi under properties in windows when you right click the image, go to properties, summary tab and click "advanced". This shows the metadata from the camera. After upgrading, every pictures properties indicates 300dpi. I just wonder if anyone else noticed that change. Why the difference? THe upgrade works nicely, I am just curious why this property changed.
08-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #104
Site Supporter

Just checked, you are correct, Photo-me is displaying it too, why the change ,have no idea.
08-21-2010, 05:21 AM   #105
Veteran Member

While, my SDM glass isn't faster in actual focus speed. All my AF locks feel more decisive and less hunting.