Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2010, 02:38 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Yeah I don't know where he got Velvia from...all I see is Reverse Film with a sharpness setting. It'd be cool to pick the film type!
Pentax has made a Picture mode which is trying to simulate slide film.
Reverse Film is how its labelled in the selection, and also the generic name for such slide film.
Back in the 1990's Fujifilm Velvia was almost synonymous with Reversal film, and it almost killed off Kodak's market in this segment.

I've only taken a couple of shots in this mode, and it looks real nicely saturated and contrasty...it might become my default JPEG setting if it turns out as promising as it looks...

07-29-2010, 04:09 AM   #47
Inactive Account

"reversal" profile

Thanks for pointing this out, I just updated the firmware figuring it was the right thing to do. Getting a "slide film" profile for JPEG actually makes me want to shoot some JPEG instead of messing around with RAW and tweaking to get the look.
Aside from that, I am not sure if the AF has been improved, but it wouldn't surprise me.
07-29-2010, 04:32 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do like the ability to auto focus with the shutter button in LV. I don't really notice much difference in focus speed other wise. Of course, I didn't really notice any problems in the first place. Without timing it, it would be hard to see a difference.
07-29-2010, 06:08 AM   #49

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I do like the ability to auto focus with the shutter button in LV. I don't really notice much difference in focus speed other wise. Of course, I didn't really notice any problems in the first place. Without timing it, it would be hard to see a difference.
I've been testing it a bit more, and it seems like the fastest AF gains are in lower light settings. Outside it is still pretty quick and the AF doesn't seem to need or have gained much improvement. Inside with only a few lights on, it is almost twice as fast. The Live View is also faster focusing, but only in portrait and contrast modes. The bottom metering option (phase difference) is still as slow as ever.

07-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #50
Inactive Account

How can I check the MD5 sum ?
07-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, my feeling is that it's not the actual AF motor speed that was improved, but rather those little AF checks made once the lens moved that were less preeminent, so cutting back on total AF time.
07-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Great there's been an update, but somewhat surprised that once again features nobody asked for have been worked on and features people have asked for havn't. Ie ability to switch off DFS above 30s.

07-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the screw-drive motor is revving just a tad faster, the motor sounds faster to me.
The reversal film setting is looking interesting, I will have to print some pictures and see how they come out.

Cheers, Mike.
07-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Great there's been an update, but somewhat surprised that once again features nobody asked for have been worked on and features people have asked for havn't. Ie ability to switch off DFS above 30s.
They don't want us to melt the sensor with ridiculously long exposures. Forced DFS could be a control measure discouraging long exposure that might possibly damage the sensor, resulting in large numbers of warranty repairs.
I mean, it overheats and wants to shut down in 5 minutes of live view. I think that is why there is no tethering either.

Cheers, Mike.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 07-29-2010 at 03:28 PM.
07-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I mean, it overheats and wants to shut down in 5 minutes of live view. I think that is why there is no tethering either.
Tethering does not necessarily mean liveview and overheating...
You can tether with still captures (as it was done on K10/K20, from memory).
07-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Tethering does not necessarily mean liveview and overheating...
You can tether with still captures (as it was done on K10/K20, from memory).
True, but, first thing I would want to do is to go into tethered LV to check composition and focusing on a nice big display.
07-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #57
Veteran Member

True, but, first thing I would want to do is to go into tethered LV to check composition and focusing on a nice big display.
That by itself doesn't explain it, I can use HDMI and LV on my 50" Plasma without issues. But i do believe your initial thoughts about DFS is likely correct.

Regardless the addition of 24fps, tethering, and optional dfs would certainly make my K7 about freaking perfect. Sadly it is possible that all of those could be achieved by a fairly simple software/firmware updates, and yet remains unlikely.

But i will live in hope none the less.
07-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
That by itself doesn't explain it, I can use HDMI and LV on my 50" Plasma without issues. But i do believe your initial thoughts about DFS is likely correct.

Regardless the addition of 24fps, tethering, and optional dfs would certainly make my K7 about freaking perfect. Sadly it is possible that all of those could be achieved by a fairly simple software/firmware updates, and yet remains unlikely.

But i will live in hope none the less.
I have done live view on my 52" bravia also, looked and worked fine for the short periods, that I stayed entertained.

There must be a hardware mandated reason for the camera to go into self preserving, high temperature, shut-down, = non Sony, non CCD and on top of all, a freaking Samsung junk sensor.
And yes, I love my K-7 despite the few shortcomings.

Cheers, Mike.
07-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #59
Inactive Account

They don't want us to melt the sensor with ridiculously long exposures. Forced DFS could be a control measure discouraging long exposure that might possibly damage the sensor, resulting in large numbers of warranty repairs.

Cheers, Mike.
If that were the case they would have limited B mode exposures or done away with it all together. As you note, the shutter closes when the sensor begins to overheat but I've done far more than 5 minutes of Video, consistently. If yours is shutting down short of that then you likely need a different card because it cannot keep up with the buffer.

Last edited by JeffJS; 07-29-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: correction for clarity
07-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #60

Thanks for this! My camera had 1.00 on it, still.