Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ManhattanProject Quote
No patch for the refusal to recognize the Sigma 8-16 @ <10mm?
Why would they?

07-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #77

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Why would they?
Because it's good business practice to support your customers?
07-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah a fix for <10mm would be nice...that wouldn't even be difficult I'm sure.

I don't own that lens yet, but it's on my list...so I'm with ya!
07-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #79
Veteran Member

I have noticed the AF is more decisive as well. Another thing thats gotten better is the level... anyone else notice its not nearly as jumpy as it was before? Now it seems a bit more precise and at least on mine, its more accurate.

One thing I am really happy for is the light meter and level in M. THANK YOU!

07-31-2010, 02:25 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManhattanProject Quote
Because it's good business practice to support your customers?
Since when did Pentax make the Sigma 8-16mm?

Surely any fixes for Sigma lens should come from Sigma?
07-31-2010, 04:13 AM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
Since when did Pentax make the Sigma 8-16mm?

Surely any fixes for Sigma lens should come from Sigma?
The issue is beyond Sigma's control. The question is if the camera should accept focal lengths below 10mm as real. Obviously they are, but the camera doesn't accept them. This is an easy firm ware fix, as I doubt it would mean much from an SR stand point anyway.
07-31-2010, 04:52 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Da 16-50 better behaved

I can report that my DA* 16-50 f2.8 seems to be much better behaved on my K7 with this new firmware.

Prior, I had to keep the camera on center spot focus or I would have many instances of auto focus hunting with time out and error. With the new build, I have seen only one instance of failure in about 50 multi-point focusing test shots.

I've seen the same focusing behavior that others have reported here... the focus seems to quickly slide through and past critical focus, then stops and backs up to nail it.

So far, so good with my DA*16-50!

regards,

germar

07-31-2010, 05:14 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Tried my new DA 17-70mm SDM before updating and the AF does appear to focus more positively with the upgrade. Really a nifty series of improvements. Thanks Pentax.
07-31-2010, 05:41 AM   #84
Inactive Account

Just updated my K-7's...

Updated my first one and then tested the focus speeds of it vrs my other K-7 with v1.03 installed. Using both the FA43 and the DA 50-135 and swapping between the bodies I can attest that the focusing speed is in fact significantly faster on v.1.1, and lock is more sure.

I didn't test the other upgrades as I likely won't use them, but wanted to confirm the speed change with respect to regular focus.

c[_]
07-31-2010, 06:19 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Updated my first one and then tested the focus speeds of it vrs my other K-7 with v1.03 installed. Using both the FA43 and the DA 50-135 and swapping between the bodies I can attest that the focusing speed is in fact significantly faster on v.1.1, and lock is more sure.
You mean that the actual motor speed was increased?
07-31-2010, 06:28 AM   #86
Inactive Account

I'm not an engineer (and was just sharing my observations), but I would say it has, as the FA43 focusing was a touch higher pitched sounding between the bodies. Focus lock was very noticably faster in v1.1 for both lenses.

c[_]
07-31-2010, 09:05 AM   #87
Forum Member

Fully agree with that. Only did some informal testing under mediocre lighting conditions with the WR kit lens but autofocus speed in non-LV use is noticeably improved, no doubt about that.
07-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
And now a new bug? This is what I just got, using LV:

This was after the camera suddenly started underexposing seriously in LV. Afterwards, it didn't repeat it.
Note: There's no change to shutter, aperture or ISO !
Whatever bug you were intending to report, your image / link / whatever that showed it was missing.
07-31-2010, 06:07 PM   #89

Thank you for this updated information. I've successfully installed the update on a new K-7 which had firmware version 1.0 when originally used. Unfortunately, I was exploring updates because I encountered the following problem.

When the camera was first used i was using a Crucial 2GB SD card while waiting for (2) Transcend 32GB SDHC Class 10 cards to arrive. Alas, they arrived and in my haste did not perform the firmware upgrade but began using the new card(s). Day #1 approx 50 pics on the first card, no problems. Day #2 playing with my new toy trying various settings etc. Turned off cam turned it on again and received "Memory Card Error" message. Plugged card into my Transcend card reader and all my photos were there.

So I tested out Transcend card #2. Plugged it in & it responded, took a couple pics. I noticed it seemed that the number of remaining photos wasn't changing (although I could be wrong here) and I shut off the cam. When I turned the cam back on I got the same "Memory Card Error" message.

That's when I found this forum and the news of the firmware upgrade. I performed the upgrade but unfortunately going from version 1.0 to 1.10 I still have the same error message with respect to my new cards. My old Crucial SD 2.0 GB card still works fine.

I was wondering what others felt about whether I am experiencing a K-7 limitation or something peculiar to the Transcend 32GB SDHC Class 10 cards. I can't reformat them in the cam either. I've deleted the photos from the card via pc but before reformatting them on my pc i thought i would ask around. I most likely will return them ASAP and will want to get them replaced ASAP. Has anyone had a good experience with the full breadth of usage on the K-7 with the new SDHC class 10 cards? Any suggestions as to replacements or a next step I should attempt prior to returning them?
07-31-2010, 06:33 PM   #90

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K7-2010 Quote
Has anyone had a good experience with the full breadth of usage on the K-7 with the new SDHC class 10 cards? Any suggestions as to replacements or a next step I should attempt prior to returning them?
I can't help you with troubleshooting, but the Sandisk Extreme SDHC class 10 cards have worked great. Continous shooting at 5 FPS for over 40 shots and no problems with HD video capture either. I liked it well enough that I bought a second card last week, both are 8GB capacity.

I had one of those memory error messages with an older Kingston class 4 card when I first purchased the camera. I still use it with my point and shoot with no issues. The Sandisk works great and is probably the only card I will buy in the near future.