Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2007, 05:55 PM   #1

K10D first impressions...

So Friday I got a K10D, 40mm limited & 100mm Macro. This is my first Pentax camera, I am a long time Canon user.
My first impressions of the camera are mostly very good, the only real gripe I have is how you select the AF point, I really wish there was a way to map that function to one of the e-dials. I just find using the 4 way selector cumbersome, but I am sure I will get better at it over time.
As for the lenses, I fell in love with the 40mm F2.8 limited. So small & so sharp, I liked it so much I just ordered the 21mm & 70mm limited lenses as well.
The first thing that struck me about the 100mm Macro was the size, for a 100mm f2.8 lens it is really light & small but still feels well made.

Anyway, below are a few shots from the weekend, All images were shot in RAW (PEF) and developed in LightRoom. I look forward to many more outings with the K10D & limited series lenses . C&C welcome.

08-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some beautiful work....it is a great cam...
08-19-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like that K10D is in very capable hands !! Nice images.
08-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yup, these are really great images. A good match between photographer and camera.

I would suggest you move the thread to the "Post your photos" section. More people would be able to appreciate your work there (for those people who'd rather jump straight to the photos section).

08-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jbcampbell Quote
<snip>the only real gripe I have is how you select the AF point, I really wish there was a way to map that function to one of the e-dials. I just find using the 4 way selector cumbersome, but I am sure I will get better at it over time.<snip>
jbcampbell, I thought the same thing when I got my K10D, but you will find it takes very little time to adjust. After a few good outings with your K10D your thumbs will be doing things on there own without you thinking lol, after your hands "learn" the setup it is actually really convenient how things are laid out. You'll be zipping through settings and AF points in not time lol... Wonderful images by the way, you made a wise choice on your camera!

Last edited by pentaxbling; 08-20-2007 at 11:21 PM.
08-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanks for all the kind words everyone.
Ryan, I guess you are right, I just need some more practice to train my thumb where to go ;-)

I guess I am so used to the way AF points are selected on my Canon gear, it will take a little more time.
08-20-2007, 08:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I would suggest you move the thread to the "Post your photos" section. More people would be able to appreciate your work there (for those people who'd rather jump straight to the photos section).
Can I move the thread or does a moderator have to do that? Sorry, I am new around here

08-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

i shoot with both canon and pentax, and i would say that i like the pentax af selection for this reason: (keep in mind that i only shoot on 1series bodies for canon, configured in a certain way)
when you select the af point for canon, you must first push that button on the top right of the back of the camera, then move your thumb over the to a wheel. on the pentax, you just start touching the thumbpad....thats one less movement in a fast moving situation....
08-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I love that 40mm as well. Nice shots, welcome, and look forward to seeing more.
08-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Man you have the talent, beautiful composition and amazing result. You nailed those shots,nice color rendition and that almost 3D look appeal in them. Congratulation, those lenses delivered.

Cheers,

Rene R
08-21-2007, 06:12 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
i shoot with both canon and pentax, and i would say that i like the pentax af selection for this reason: (keep in mind that i only shoot on 1series bodies for canon, configured in a certain way)
when you select the af point for canon, you must first push that button on the top right of the back of the camera, then move your thumb over the to a wheel. on the pentax, you just start touching the thumbpad....thats one less movement in a fast moving situation....
I see your point, My Canon gear consists of a 1D MarkII & a 5D. So Iknow what you mean... I guess I just have to get used to the Pentax method.
It would be nice if they added an option that allowed you to push the AF button & then spin one of the e-dials to select the AF points. This would prevent accidentally changing it, which is what happens to me (I guess my nose is hitting the 4 way selector ) . It would be a simple firmware update, either way I really like the K10D & my other lenses (21mm & 70mm limited) will be here today so I look forward to using them. I will post some additional images after my initial outing.

Cheers,
08-21-2007, 11:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice..

Great Stuff JB..You seem to have grasped using the K10D quite quicky. Very nice work.
08-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
wow, fantastic pics! thanks for sharing and look forward to your future posts!