Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K10d Screen Protector

My K10d just arrived in the mail today, my lenses should be here tomorrow, waiting is the hard part. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good screen protector for the K10d? I like the big bright LCD and would like it to stay scratch free if possible. Thanks for the help.

11-29-2006, 09:13 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wasn't there just a thread about this? Seems like some people were saying that PDA screen protectors worked well and were cost effective. I have never used a cover on my *istD and it has no scratches after almost 3 years. Seems to be pretty tough material, but I guess a little protection doesn't hurt.
11-29-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, I guess I will take a look at the PDA ones next time I am by office depot. I will also do a search and see if I can find the other thread.
11-29-2006, 10:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't use them as the glass covering the LCD seems pretty scratch resistant. However, I use this on my Creative Zen mp3 player:

Best Skins Ever Storefront

It's a cheaper version of this:

ShieldZone - Home of the iPod Screen Protector

You have to wet it to put it on, and then it will dry over the next several days (you can use it the next morning). At first, it looks like you have tiny bubbles under it, but eventually it smooths out and you can even see it. I was a little skeptical, but I'm sold now. It did take me two times to get it on correctly, but they're not that expensive.

11-30-2006, 06:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I don't use them as the glass covering the LCD seems pretty scratch resistant. However, I use this on my Creative Zen mp3 player:

Best Skins Ever Storefront

It's a cheaper version of this:

ShieldZone - Home of the iPod Screen Protector

You have to wet it to put it on, and then it will dry over the next several days (you can use it the next morning)...
Can you remove these shields if you want to? The ShieldZone has a generic 2.5" camera LCD screen protector for twelve bucks. That might be the way to go.

p.s. After two years, my Ds screen has a few minor scratches. Nothing that affects functionality, but scratches still the same. I'd sure like to 'protect' the K10D screen better.
11-30-2006, 10:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Can you remove these shields if you want to? The ShieldZone has a generic 2.5" camera LCD screen protector for twelve bucks. That might be the way to go.

p.s. After two years, my Ds screen has a few minor scratches. Nothing that affects functionality, but scratches still the same. I'd sure like to 'protect' the K10D screen better.
Yes, you have to peel it off, but it does come off and it doesn't leave a residue. At least that was my experience with my mp3 player, and the experience of other mp3 forum members that I read. If it did leave a residue, people would've been howling. Those people were more obsessed with their mp3 players than any camera lover on DPR!

My only concern was the fact that you had to put a wet film on your electronic item. I never heard of any problems, though. I did it on my $300 mp3 player. I guess I'd do it on my camera, but I'm not as worried that it will scratch.

Hope this helps! (And let me see those football pictures!)
12-01-2006, 12:12 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, so I dumped a few bucks today into a pack of screen protectors for Palms and cut one down to put on *istD and K10D screens. I had never bothered before but it turned out so cool that I put on on the top screen as well and one on the bottom of the camera so it doesn't scratch when I put it down. One for the front lens element is in the works. If they don't leave any residue behind maybe this is the future of CCD cleaning.

OK, just kidding. I did put them on the LCD screens but I'm not sure I like it. It messes with my babooning.

12-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.