Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #1

hair/dust showing on pictures?

hope ive posted this in the right place

i have an issue with my K100D SUPER. ever since the other day, when i take a photo this annoying piece of dust/hair shows in my photos. obviously when i was changing lenses it got stuck somewhere?

so would the issue be that the dust has got stuck to the mirror or sensor?

my dad cleaned all the lenses, viewfinder ect but not the mirror/sensor. i have just purchased one of those rocket blowers. should i also buy sensor swabs? im not keen on the idea of anything physically touching the sensor. and i take it i lock the mirror up when getting rid of the dust?

ALSO, does anybody know how much in $AUD a K100D SUPER with two lenses, 18-55 and 70-200 would be worth? the camera is roughly 2 years old and in excellent condition with roughly less than 5000 shutter count.

sorry if none of this made sense im 16 and relatively new to photography.
also please note my grammar isn't usually this bad, i just wanted to post this to get my camera clean and free of dust ASAP!

- sara

07-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I would try the rocket blower before buying swabs. No idea on the price, sorry.
07-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
thankyou HEEGZ.
07-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's definitely dust on your sensor. Dust on the mirror does not show up in your photos, only your viewfinder.

You should be able to get rid of the dust/hair by using the rocket blower. Just use mirror lock up to reveal your sensor. Oftentimes you can see the dust/hair on the sensor with your naked eyes. Not sure if the K100D super has it but my K-x lets you map the dust on your sensor so you know where to blow.

Swabs are absolutely the last resort to removing gunk from your sensor. If you're unsure of how to do it, it's better to take it to a professional camera repair shop.

07-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks hangu.
I will definetly try the rocket blower. Hmm im not too sure if the K100D super lets you map it either? Yeah i had a bad feeling about swabs, a friend suggested it to me but i didn't want anything touching the sensor. My cam also has a function that everytime you turn it on it shakes the dust or something like that, didn't seem to work though.
07-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sara Quote
Thanks hangu.
I will definetly try the rocket blower. Hmm im not too sure if the K100D super lets you map it either? Yeah i had a bad feeling about swabs, a friend suggested it to me but i didn't want anything touching the sensor. My cam also has a function that everytime you turn it on it shakes the dust or something like that, didn't seem to work though.
No, the K100d does not have the dust mapping feature. It was first introduced on the K20d, one generation later than the K100d. It works marginally well and can be fooled so it isn't the end all be all anyway. As mentioned, the blower is your first defense.

As to the value of your camera and lenses, it would depend on Which 70-200 you have. You can probably get a pretty fair idea by going to ebay and looking at completed auctions.

07-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Just as a correction.
Dust on the mirror will not be visible at all, ever.
The only way dust on the lens would ever be visible is if you have the lens racked out on a bellows and you were actually focusing on the glass itself.

So, for all intents, you will never see dust on the lens or mirror when looking through the viewfinder.

The only time you will see dust in the viewfinder is if there is dust stuck to the focusing screen or between the screen and prism.
This dust, while annoying, will not show up in pictures, and will not hurt anything.
Unless it is really bad, you are best advised to leave it alone.

Dust on the sensor will show up in your pictures, especially when shooting at smaller apertures (f/11-f/22)
Sensor dust will not show in the viewfinder.

Sensor dust is pretty easy to clean.
The bulb blower advice is good.
I use Dust-Off brand canned gas, but this habit does make people cringe somewhat.
The sensor is not as delicate as a lot of people here would have you believe.
07-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thankyou for replying, JeffJS and Wheatfield.
I will check out ebay soon.
The first thing i try will definitely be the rocket blower.
Wheatfield, thankyou for explaining all of that to me. I understand now!
That makes more sense now, and i was shooting at about f11.
I will also look into Dust-Off but i think i might cringe aswell!

07-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Two things if you choose the canned gas route:
Buy a name brand. Dust-Off has been around for the entire 4 decades that I've been involved in photography. I expect the material in the can has changed due to enviro regs, but the expertise that Falcon has goes back a long way.
Do not shoot the sensor with a long burst of gas. Use a couple of short controlled blasts, and do test fire the can at something other than the inside of your camera prior to cleaning to ensure that the nozzle is clear of propellant.

And if you wreck your camera, you are on your own.
07-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wheatfield is right about the sensor. I have used the swabs to clean the sensor on my K100D, and they work just fine. Just don't apply extreme pressure.

If you use the Blower, make sure you don't touch the sensor with the tip of it. That can cause smears to appear in your next photos. Learned this the hard way.
07-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
If you use the Blower, make sure you don't touch the sensor with the tip of it. That can cause smears to appear in your next photos. Learned this the hard way.
As she pointed out (quoted above), you don't need to stick the nozzle of the blower or canned air in very far, there should be plenty of power. That is unless it is so stuck on you'll need to wet clean anyways.

Along the same lines, use a battery with a good charge. You don't want the camera dying and the mirror crashing into whatever it is you are using to clean. There is a lot of sensor cleaning information in prior threads that you might find useful if you don't have immediate success.
07-29-2010, 11:34 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thankyou all of you!