Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
some thing that I wish for my Kx :D

here are some of the list that I can suggest for the
Pentax Kx

not exactly a must but this is the accessories that I want for my Kx..

1. Weather sealing -- if pentax comes up with a Kx body armor that can give the camera some weather resistance. then I am game for it!
Its okay if it doesn't provide maximum protection,
some resistance will certainly help us a lot and not to worry about
when mother nature suddenly strikes.

2. AF assist - just something that I can clip on the hotshoe that is also P-TTL can help us a lot. especially during shooting in low light.

3. Remote - is there something that can trigger the Kx wirelessly (not IR) through the hotshoe? like there will be a reciever on the hotshoe..

4. vertical grip - this is for people with big hands, I bought the Kx for its Image quality, Im kinda 90/100 on the size of the Kx as it doesnt actually fit my big hands and im getting some palm sores when there is a flash mounted on the hotshoe.. the hand strap I dont want some strap on my hands as it induces so much sweat on my palms

so and added grip will be fine.

--

I don't think developing these will not shift the interests of people for the K7 since these will come in separately for the Kx unlike the K7 where most of these are already integrated with the unit.

thanks.

07-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Realistically, none of those are things likely to be provided as accessories - you would need to buy a camera that supports those things already.
07-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Slightly off topic, but it does make me wonder...

Why does the k-x have a better sensor then the K7? Now I realize this is a totally subjective opinion, but the consensus seems to be that the k-x has less noise and better performance in low light. Sure it has less megapixels, but print for print, IQ is considered better for the k-x (SO I AM TOLD). I use the k20d myself.

I bought the k20d instead of something more entry level because of those things that the OP mentioned... I wanted a flexible machine. But the reviews of the K7 seem puzzling - PENTAX seems to have improved on the functional components of the K20D, but the sensor is about the same. The k-x, an entry level camera, got a brand-spanking new sensor that is supposedly the king of PENTAX digital IQ at the moment.

They were released only months apart, and the sensor in the k-x is apparently very similar to the one in the 2 year old nikon d90... what gives??
07-31-2010, 01:19 AM   #4

K-x sensor is 12MP sensor while K-7 is 14MP. K-x sensor has 2 read out channel while K-7 has 4 (this translates to faster burst rate if I understand it correctly). K-x sensor is a Sony sensor and K-7 is a Samsung. Sony has an agreement with Nikon so only Nikon can get the most recent sensors, Pentax can only get older ones.

This is what I get from reading various forums. I have a lousy memory so there's likely some inaccurate details there. But the point is, K-x sensor is better in high ISO performance but it is not necessary better / more suitable for K-7 in other means. If K-x sensor is used in K-7 then it wouldn't be the K-7 like it's now (less MP, slower burst rate, etc etc). We can all argue that it'd be a better K-7 if it used K-x sensor, despite all those "trade offs", but apparently Pentax chose differently. It might not be a 'wise' decision but what I'm trying to say is, the decision is not without any logics / reasons behind it (which probably more complex than just simple facts above).

07-31-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure what type of remote you mean in item #3 but if the other items were that important to you you should have bought a K-7.
07-31-2010, 04:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K7 sensor does have faster FPS and is a little more capable in the video department. It seems like that has negatively impacted both dynamic range and high iso noise. As to why Pentax put the Samsung sensor in the K7, I think it was the only sensor available at the time that offered the video capability they wanted. Remember that the K7 was in design for months prior to its release and at that time, the sensor in the kx was exclusively in the Nikon D90.
08-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sajah Quote
K-x sensor is 12MP sensor while K-7 is 14MP. K-x sensor has 2 read out channel while K-7 has 4 (this translates to faster burst rate if I understand it correctly). K-x sensor is a Sony sensor and K-7 is a Samsung. Sony has an agreement with Nikon so only Nikon can get the most recent sensors, Pentax can only get older ones.
strange thing to say.
K-x sensor was latest gen that time and it was shared with nikon and sony.

Pentax like any other brand can get the best and latest, just because they are pentax no one refuses anything to them.

Nikon though do have close tie up with sony this is true.
08-01-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The 16mp sensor featured in the K-5 will also be found in the new Sonys and the D90 replacement, brand spanking new sensor

08-01-2010, 04:01 AM   #9
Inactive Account

what about AF?

is it still the same old SAFOX VIII?

or something much more improved?