Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-7 display not dustproof?

Recently got back from a trip that involved occasionally getting my K-7 exposed to some mildly dusty conditions. Nothing too bad, mind you, just some offroad drives on dusty tracks and the occasional walk at the beach. I kept the camera in its bag when it wasn't needed which surely was by far most of the time.

Nonetheless it appears there are now dust specks under the display where I'm pretty sure there hadn't been any before the trip. They are close to the bottom edge of the display and on closer inspection seem to be located in two different layers (?) of the glass components. I currently cannot take a picture of it as the K-7 is my only camera. I have used the camera in heavy rain before and never had a problem with wetness or even condensed water.

My main concern is not the handful of dust particles below the display but rather fear that this may get worse over time and insecurity whether the screen is actually water or dustproof at all.

Has anybody had similar problems before and does anyone have suggestions on how to handle this? I somehow doubt this will be covered by warranty...

EDIT: I have no doubts that the K-7 as such is well sealed. My fear is just that on my unit the seals around the screen are defective or something.

07-31-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know how it is with dust- it can get in everywhere! Chances are that this is normal, since it's really hard to make something 100% dust-proof.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-31-2010, 08:27 AM   #3

You have to remember that the K10, K20, K7 etc. are dust and water resistant. They are not dust or water proof. So there is always the possibilty that water or dust can get in there.
07-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I just love these weather-sealing posts...

Like somebody just said, weather-resistant isn't the same thing as weather-proof... Same goes for dust... You change lenses, dust goes in... while zooming or focusing (even with the WR lenses) air gets sucked in or out, thus soaking more dust in and moving the dust that is already in the camera... While taking a picture, mirror slapping action creates mini-tornado that moves the dust all over....

So coming back to your question... stop being anal and just use your camera... dust is a reality we live in and there's really no way to keep it out of the camera.... just make sure you don't have too much of it running loose in the camera and sitting on the sensor... the rest is horse sh@t....

07-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Not being anal at all, sir. In fact, I consider myself far from being so. Just find my experience kind of surprising after all the praise being posted here regarding Pentax' environmental seals. It's not like I really used my camera in particularly challenging situations - but I may well do so some day and when I do, I will be happy to know I can rely on an alleged feature that was one of the main reasons for buying the product in the first place.

So any more informed opinions highly welcome here. Will post any feedback I get from Pentax when I eventually get a response (if ever).
07-31-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

As others have said, these cameras are dust resistant, not dust proof. The two are miles from being the same.
Consider how much worse your problem would be with a camera that has no dust seals at all.
I suspect that a clever person (I'm not one of them) could remove the LCD cover and clean the screen if he wanted to.
07-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you sure it wasn't there before? I assume you are talking about the rear screen and that there is no dust on the sensor (that you may be seeing consitantly in photos). In looking at mine, it seems that you would have to be in a sand storm for dust to end up Under the LCD cover screen.