Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #31
Forum Member

Wireless remote for K-x

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote
Some type of IR-auto focus assist beam would of been nice, and a threaded shutter button to accept a traditional cable type remote release but it still offers quite a lot for a camera thats considered an entry-level DSLR.
Michel
Michel,

Just FYI, I bought one of these inexpensive Chinese wireless remotes for my K10D, and it also works on my K-x:
IR Wireless Remote for Nikon D80 Canon 400D/Pentax K10D - eBay (item 250587999225 end time Aug-26-10 00:41:42 PDT)

For $4.50 plus fee shipping, you pretty much can't go wrong.

Greg

08-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #32
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote
My old Fuji S9100 dates back to around 2006 or so,
It has been subjected to the worst possible conditions;
freezing rain, ice, dropped in snow, heavy smoke, flying embers, dropped
to ground etc.
(I'm an amateur fireground photographer, www.coderouge.com
and average a photo outing every 3 days / 100+ structure fires per year)
and can honestly say held it's own to my collegue's Canon 20D's
for the type of low-light photos we do.

It quit working a few times but always came back to life
after thawing out with a hair dryer, image quality was always plenty good for
the type of photos I do. Due to a broken flash hotshoe I decided last
spring to replace it and keep it as a spare for rainy/snowy conditions.

Well the newer version of it, the HS-10 was a big dissapointment,
purchased one and tried in every possible way to fine tune it during a
entire week, nothing but frustrations. Image quality, autofocus, ergonomics,
fit and finish etc. was in my opinion a downgrade from my old camera, instead
of the very DSLR-like performance of the S9100, it now 'feels' like a Point-&-Shoot stuck inside a bigger body.

Returned it, searched the web and discovered the K-x...

Michel

Thanks for the info. My daughter wants to get a camera similar to dad's. I just think she is too young for a true dSLR. The Fuji seems nice for the price.
08-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #33
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For those Kx users that need a Arca swiss style plate. I found a universal plate from Kirk enterprises (unrelated to Star Trek). They usually have some blemished ones for $20 bucks. Then I went out and bought a no slip grip with adhesive back. The grip is designed for ladies shoes I believe. I bought it at Rack Room shoes. Just cut to wear...I mean fit the plate. The plate is nice in that it is cheap and small in keeping with the Kx. Hope this helps. BTW for those that have a RRS quick release clamp with the lever the plate will work but I had to place a single strip of electrical tape across the base of the clamp to make a tight fit.
08-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #34

This may seem a silly thing to some, but I like the placement of the on/off switch. It couldn't be more convenient, right under your right index fingertip. Makes for instant-on even while holding the camera with only one hand. Better for me, at least, than the other brands I tried out.

08-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I know what you mean. I love the red and the white. In the end I just had to have the white. No regrets. The heat down here (and everywhere in the states this Summer) is awful. The white does make a difference with keeping the camera body cooler. Plus it looks cooler.
My priority was getting the best camera for me, which I decided would be a DSLR. Color, although interesting, was secondary. I got black, didn't put much thought into looking into getting a different color, although I knew it was possible. That was to me only one more complication in the process of getting my kit, which was complex enough already.
08-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #36

Photos: Albums
took the Kx out to the province..
my photographer friends soon have their batteries dry up as well as mine..

however there is a nearby shop that sells AA batteries..
I bout a set and kept on shooting while my friends are having problems where to charge their batteries lol

love the AA compatibility on the Kx!
08-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by redeleon Quote
took the Kx out to the province..
my photographer friends soon have their batteries dry up as well as mine..

however there is a nearby shop that sells AA batteries..
I bout a set and kept on shooting while my friends are having problems where to charge their batteries lol

love the AA compatibility on the Kx!
Aside from the ability to buy AA's all over the place (I don't expect to need to), AA NiMH's are less problematical than Li-ion rechargeables, which deteriorate faster at certain charge levels. They also cost significantly more and won't last as long (in terms of years). Typically they last a couple of years unless you baby them, and babying them is a touchy fretful enterprise I'm rather sick of. For instance, topping them up leaves them in a state where they deteriorate faster. I much prefer NiMH. I top them up, no need to worry. I can even freeze them, although with Eneloops, there's no need to due to their low discharge rate. The K-x's support of NiMH was a major factor in my choosing the K-x, although there were many other major factors.

08-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #38
Veteran Member

The incredible clean shadow detail at ISO 100 is by far my favorite feature of the K-x, even more than the high ISO performance; there's so much room to manipulate the files and work with tricky lighting situations. The newer AF system and 4.7 fps also make it feel not much slower than my old 40D (incidentally, the speed was one of the only things I liked about that camera). The crisp detail of a well-shot photo and "organic" feel of the files (imo) is also important.

Being tiny and lightweight (since it goes with me on a number of active excursions) is also a huge plus.
08-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #39

The thing I like about the K-x is not specific to the K-x, but to Pentax. The K-x is my first DSLR. I chose the K-x because of its great reviews and the features on paper for my budget. In the three months of ownership, I found that the best thing about a modern Pentax camera is that I can buy certain top notch 30 year old lens for less than $100 on eBay.
08-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grillfire Quote
The thing I like about the K-x is not specific to the K-x, but to Pentax. The K-x is my first DSLR. I chose the K-x because of its great reviews and the features on paper for my budget. In the three months of ownership, I found that the best thing about a modern Pentax camera is that I can buy certain top notch 30 year old lens for less than $100 on eBay.
Go for an M 50mm f1.7, if you don't have a 50 yet. Got mine for $35 and it's as good even wide open as lenses I've paid 10x as much for. And the bokeh's got a nice quirky character.
08-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Making of video with mostly my K-x White and the Pentax 18-250 lens.

Benjamin Kanarek Blog | Benjamin Kanarek Blog
08-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I have had and loved a K-1000, but the K-X is my first DSLR. One of the things that hasn't been mentioned yet is how easy the manual is to use. I love that aspect. Also, the AA battery use, the way it fits in my hand, the price was good, I can use my K-1000 lenses and the wide availability of decent priced lenses for the K-X. I think that covers the major points.
08-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #43
Banned

I've had a *istDL, K10 and K20, I sold the K20D and bought the Kx. The high ISO performance drew me in. I've been hooked since day one. I LOVE the small size and logical menus along with the performance. It's a camera that lets me forget about the equipment and just shoot. It enables me to shoot in more lighting conditions than the others and the light weight is lovely for just carrying around the streets. It's like having a camera that works the way I expect.
08-06-2010, 01:09 AM   #44
Forum Member

Having used the K-x for a while now I must say I love most things about it. Coming from a DS it is a huge upgrade of course. I bought an FA43 at the same time which I've used 95% of the time, so I guess that's part of my amazement of how good this camera is

Most things I really like are not common to the K-x I guess, just that cameras have evolved a lot since the DS. Things like better AF speed, better general speed when viewing photos, bigger display, more MP, SR and LV are really great! And I hardly miss the pentaprism, can't see much of a difference.

But what I really love about the K-x are the high ISO capabilities. I can bump it to 2-3000 without a problem.

Also like the output together with Lightroom 3. Don't have to PP as much as before to get good shots.
08-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
I use the Tamron 18-250 lens as my do-it-all walk around lens and I have no qualms about shooting ISO 1600 with the Kx and the Tamron. I have even sucessfully shot ISO 6400 with the Tamron and post processing. It's an incredible camera for the price.
This is my first dSLR, and I decided with this exact same set up. Great value! But getting that Tamron lens in Canada is tough, even through Henry's