Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wanted white but black was $20 cheaper. Yeah I'm a cheapskate...but seriously, black had already just about wiped out my available funds.

AA Batteries
On/Off switch position
Old/Manual lens compatibility
Comfortable
Just about everything else

Dislikes:

Ummm...

I'm still thinking...

Hang on I'll think of something...

08-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I chose the K-x because of the high ISO and the wide amount of shutter speeds. Little did I know, about all the other goodies that came with it. The cost was a big deciding factor. I could not get anything close to it from other manufacturers. I also like the availability of the older lenses that will fit it.
08-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #48

The reason I brought K-x is my K-m can't take movies, and K7 is out of my budget.

But K-x is a nice body, as the experience of using my friend's A550 and 450D. K-x is better in color, well better.

I like it's operation menu,simple and effective, also the color adjustable LCD.

The only thing I wanna complain is the lacking of the video out put.
I used to connect my Canon S3is with TV and play the video directly.
They really should have this.

Last edited by LINCOLN; 08-08-2010 at 08:07 PM.
08-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #49
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LINCOLN Quote
The reason I brought K-x is my K-m can't take movies, and K7 is out of my budget.

But K-x is a nice body, as the experience of using my friend's A550 and 450D. K-x is better in color, well better.

I like it's operation menu,simple and effective, also the color adjustable LCD.

The only thing I wanna complain is the lacking of the video out put.
I used to connect my Canon S3is with TV and play the video directly.
They really should have this.
Lincoln: Any tips that you (or anyone) can share with respect to adjusting the color on the LCD? I have yet to try mostly for lack know how.

I am hoping to make this an informative thread so all of us Kx users can learn from others. Helps smooth out the learning curve.

08-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #50
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Making of video with mostly my K-x White and the Pentax 18-250 lens.

Benjamin Kanarek Blog | Benjamin Kanarek Blog
Wow. I loved the Vogue Brazil video. Great shots...as usual.
08-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LINCOLN Quote
...The only thing I wanna complain is the lacking of the video out put. I used to connect my Canon S3is with TV and play the video directly. They really should have this...
The K-x does have video out - but the output is only standard definition. You can playback images, video - and also display LiveView output via TV this way.

Several Pentax and other USB <> RCA plug cables work just as well as the I-AVC7 cable.

But yeah, if you want to view your video recording in 720p HD, you need to get the SD card out of the camera and onto a PC or other device that can read SD cards and playback via your TV.
08-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #52
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The K-x does have video out ....

@Rawr: Thanks for the tip.

I have to confess that I haven't spent much time with the video features of the Kx. I notice that in my brief attempts the overall exposure seems to vary tremendously as I try to pan across a sceen. Is there a way to adjust for this or am I doing something wrong?

08-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
...I have to confess that I haven't spent much time with the video features of the Kx. I notice that in my brief attempts the overall exposure seems to vary tremendously as I try to pan across a sceen. Is there a way to adjust for this or am I doing something wrong?
You can lock the exposure at any setting you like using the AE-L lock button - ie meter the scene to get the exposure how you want it, press AE-L, and then shoot the video. (You need to enable AE-L to work as AE-L in the Custom Menu first)

This YouTube video explains how to do it.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AQzJE1tdI&feature=player_embedded[/YT]
08-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #54
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@rawr: Many thanks to your post and the youtube clip! I hope we can gather as many helpful tips to help others here on this thread.
08-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just noticed I crossed 8,000 actuations on the last 3 battery changes, and I'm still going. I love the K-x + Lithium combo.
08-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #56
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I just noticed I crossed 8,000 actuations on the last 3 battery changes, and I'm still going. I love the K-x + Lithium combo.
Wow, that is much better than my eneloops. I will say that I have not felt battery life has been an issue with me, though. Do you use any LV or Video?
08-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Wow, that is much better than my eneloops. I will say that I have not felt battery life has been an issue with me, though. Do you use any LV or Video?
I use LV, video and flash sparingly. I use flash mainly for fill.

I started out using Eneloops, and got about 1,200 actuations per charge. That is actually quite good, but the first two sets of lithiums have given 3,000+ per change, and the current set is over 2,000 and going strong. As much as I like the environmental friendliness of the rechargeable Eneloops, the long life and peppy AF from the lithiums is winning out.

As you can discern, I've put a lot of actuations on my K-x since purchasing it this year. The size, the batteries and the low light performance have made it my favorite camera since the MX.

Not to drift the thread too far, but the Eveready Ultimate Lithiums are a terrific product. Putting six of them in my 645 put new pep in that old body as well.
08-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #58
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I use LV, video and flash sparingly. I use flash mainly for fill.

I started out using Eneloops, and got about 1,200 actuations per charge. That is actually quite good, but the first two sets of lithiums have given 3,000+ per change, and the current set is over 2,000 and going strong. As much as I like the environmental friendliness of the rechargeable Eneloops, the long life and peppy AF from the lithiums is winning out.

As you can discern, I've put a lot of actuations on my K-x since purchasing it this year. The size, the batteries and the low light performance have made it my favorite camera since the MX.

Not to drift the thread too far, but the Eveready Ultimate Lithiums are a terrific product. Putting six of them in my 645 put new pep in that old body as well.
Good to know Gene. Thanks for the tip on the Eveready's.
08-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #59
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a question for the Kx users. Hope it is not too basic. Does anyone use the extended ISO (ie 100-12800)? What is the trade off? I assume that there is or there wouldn't be any option. Instead it would be just the 100-12800. Any thoughts?
08-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I have a question for the Kx users. Hope it is not too basic. Does anyone use the extended ISO (ie 100-12800)? What is the trade off? I assume that there is or there wouldn't be any option. Instead it would be just the 100-12800. Any thoughts?
In this post, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1139998-post12.html I wrote about accidentally setting the K-x to 12800 and posted a resulting photo. It can be done by bumping the ISO button with the thumb. The possibility of that accident is one trade-off of using "extended" ISO. However, the performance was not all that horrible, after a little cleaning up. I don't see a trade off at the lower ISO settings from allowing the higher ISO settings.