Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2010, 03:24 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Thanks, for the info. My last question was really about using JPEG without the highlight or shadow feature and simply using the ISO 100 and exposing for the highlights. Then in PP pull up the shadows. I wonder if the results would be that different if I use JPEG v. RAW.
I am using Aperture 2 which doesn't support RAW files from the Kx but will accept JPEG's. I really don't want to upgrade to Aperture 3 if I don't have to. I have a nonupgradeable version and that would require a full license $300 software. Perhaps I could use the silkypix/ppl software and import the photos into aperture. Seems too laborious. Thoughts?
Unfortunately the shadow range present in the RAW files doesn't make it into the jpeg files; jpegs take up a lot less room for a reason. The shadows would get noisy and blocked up and lose tonality if you tried to raise them much from a jpeg.

I'm not familiar with Aperture but if you were to get the latest version of PS Elements you can use ACR for your RAW conversions and then continue to use Aperture as you wish with the jpegs, or the freeware RAWTherapee can be very effective if you're willing to learn how to get the look you want out of it.

08-19-2010, 05:53 AM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Unfortunately the shadow range present in the RAW files doesn't make it into the jpeg files; jpegs take up a lot less room for a reason. The shadows would get noisy and blocked up and lose tonality if you tried to raise them much from a jpeg.

I'm not familiar with Aperture but if you were to get the latest version of PS Elements you can use ACR for your RAW conversions and then continue to use Aperture as you wish with the jpegs, or the freeware RAWTherapee can be very effective if you're willing to learn how to get the look you want out of it.
The same is even more true of highlights. In fact, they don't even make it into 16 bit PSD files. I've been surprised to find that one can apply "recovery" in ACR, then use masking and then other tools in PS to restore cloud detail to a contrasty scene in which a sky initially appears solid white. However, without bringing out at least some detail in ACR first, PS (CS3) will see the entire sky as blown and not recoverable. I've actually had more luck just taking the exposure down in ACR and then masking and bringing the shadow levels up in PS than trying to recover the highlights in PS.
08-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #78
Site Supporter

I use Lightroom so I'm not familiar with Aperture but if your version does not support k-x RAW files perhaps it supports DNG files? The k-x will produce either native Pentax RAW or Adobe DNG RAW files.
08-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #79
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I use Lightroom so I'm not familiar with Aperture but if your version does not support k-x RAW files perhaps it supports DNG files? The k-x will produce either native Pentax RAW or Adobe DNG RAW files.

I will give it a try tonight. thanks.

08-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Yeah, I love the K-x, but don't tell my K20D... Actually, I choose one body or the other based on...

...what the K-x excels at:

- Compact size (and fun color: red!)
- Excellent high-ISO noise control
- Fast on, faster AF, and higher fps
- Easy to read LCD/controls

Or what the K20D excels at:

- Weather-sealed and built like a tank
- Better DR in the highlights
- 2 mode dials and dedicated AEB button

I thought it would be hard to work with both, but it really is easy and fun to switch between them. Truly, the K-x is a "home run" for walking around, family photos, and travel. My toddler can even take decent photos with it!
08-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #81
Veteran Member

My KX

I have purchased my Kx after extensive research. I just did not fund the best super-zoom P&S cameras jpegs good enough especially indoors with challenging lighting. I am very happy with it so far after more than five months of shooting. The high ISO images are great, love the handling speed - cont. shooting, shot to shot time, on/off time.

Where I have a little trouble with sometime is the metering - center weighted average seems to work better than multi-segment.

My recently purchased lens, an older Sigma 28-70mm 2.8 EX DF is a lot of fun besides the size. The camera seems to focus faster, even in live view than the kit lenses. Looking tough with the sigma .
Attached Images

Last edited by agsy; 08-20-2010 at 02:48 PM.
08-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #82

Dust on the Sensor OH MY!! See footnote

I was recently on an Alaskan Cruise and got some absolutly wonderful shots of Glaciers and mountains etc. When I looked at the results on my PC I noticed some "dust spots". I thought I didn't clean my lenses properly because "stupid me" I was using pockets to store them. After some cleaning and test shots, I realized that these "dust spots" were on the CMOS sensor. After carefully re-reading several times on the dangers etc. I attemtped some minor cleaning. Using the shake mode about a dozen times without success, I got out my can of compressed air. Holding the camera body with the opening facing the ground I gave it a couple of gentle shots of air into the cavity. Keeping a lot of digits crossed, I did some more test shots. I was lucky this time and all of the dust had been removed from the sensor.
So, a word to the wise, DON'T STORE YOUR LENSES IN YOUR POCKETS if you are on a shoot that requires lens changes. In future I am going to carry that awkward camera bag with me because I don't want to find something that can't be easily removed.

A little footnote: On this cruise I saw a lot of Nikons and Canons and no Pentax's. I did get a lot of questions on my choice of camera from other travellers. We started comparing features and cost and I raised more than one eyebrow over the features available on my camera as opposed to some of the more costly canikons they had. The one question I did get asked is if this is such a good camera, why didn't the Cruise Photographers use it. Well, my answer is "Ask the Photographer how much the Cruise line paid the High End Nikons they were using." That usually made them think a bit when I told them this camera (K-x) was equal to what they were using.

So, Happy Photography to everyone
08-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Well, I am by no means a fanboy, and something in me does not really want to like the K-x much. I purchased one for a wedding and used it to good effect in the Chapel where they did not allow flash. I then started using it as a light and capable "get the job done" camera for family events and such. Some baseball, the family beach vacation, etc.
After spending some time with it, my number one greatest love about this camera is the information screen. I shoot in manual a lot. I do "match needle" metering, and I tend to do so using aperture priority. A little more about that later. Needless to say, I do not completely like the + - display element that takes the place of a match needle in the viewfinder. Oh, well, I can live with this...
Anyway, I spent some time in very bright outdoor venues recently, ie: the beach, and found that the viewfinder display is just not bright enough and I could not read the meter values. Previously I had pressed the info button enough time to banish the info display completely. I will still do so indoors. But in a flash of necessity is the mother of discovery, I turned the info display back on, aimed the camera, backed off from the viewfinder, made the match needle adjustment on the info screen and went on my merry way.
The info display is brilliant, and I may tend to work this way always outdoors in manual mode. I will insist on having this from now on in my cameras. It is far more useful to me than a top deck LCD. It bodes well that the K-7 has this feature as it seems like it will now become a standard accoutrement.
The lack of a second e-dial is not great, but the quick shift using the top button is brilliant and I can find it easily without looking. Second best thing to an e-dial and generally therefore renders close to hyper-program capabilities. In fact, i think they refer to it as hyper-manual. In Av I can quickly shift to change the shutter speed to gain/shed aperture easily and without looking. Very ergonomic and absolutely necessary in my opinion if you are not going to offer two e-Dials. Well done overall.
The lack of a focus point confirmation (not focus confirmation) is not much of a big deal except perhaps in conditions where one cannot see the lines on the screen. This is usually in dark conditions and by that time focus is probably hit or miss anyway. I've gotten used to simply carefully lining it up and not getting a little red cue. The shots I get are very sharp. It seems to matter not at all outside of some odd comfort zone.
I am sure there is a difference in DR between this and my K20D. However, in all the shots I took in manual mode on the beach, there was little if any clipping of highlights as one might expect, especially with people wearing a lot of white. The meter seems exceedingly accurate, and I have come to really like the color rendition. In particular the 55-300mm is a nice pairing for candids.
The size is marvelous when you put an F 50 1.7 or comparable on it. There are a couple of other small and inexpensive FA zooms that I will pick up as my "go to" kit for this camera body. It's tiny. It's capable, and it runs on AAs. Oh, and in a pinch it has almost twice the frame rate of my K20D, so it really is good for chasing the kids around.
It may be entry level, but for very high quality snapshots and no doubt some real keepers, this little camera is an excellent choice.
I am going to push it a little in my other comfort zones. First stop will be landscape photography. I will almost always go right for the K20D for anything serious. I want to see if I can make do with the K-x in this space as well.
Overall, anyone who has one of these cameras either as a special purpose or primary camera has nothing to be ashamed of. Ken Rockwell talks about the D40 as his little go to camera for a lot of things. This thing is more capable than that camera, has 2x the megapixels, more real-world utility, and has some truly great ergonomics and thought put into the user "experience."
Bravo Pentax. Nice little camera!
woof

08-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Previously I had pressed the info button enough time to banish the info display completely. I will still do so indoors. But in a flash of necessity is the mother of discovery, I turned the info display back on, aimed the camera, backed off from the viewfinder, made the match needle adjustment on the info screen and went on my merry way.
The info display is brilliant, and I may tend to work this way always outdoors in manual mode.
In addition, I believe you can brighten/darken the display in the menus. Nice post.
08-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #85
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just an update. The RAW DNG files do work with aperture 2! Thanks for the suggestion, Jatrax.
08-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #86
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Yeah, I love the K-x, but don't tell my K20D...
...Or what the K20D excels at:

- Weather-sealed and built like a tank
- Better DR in the highlights
- 2 mode dials and dedicated AEB button
Panoguy: I believe that your Kx has been reported to have a better DR than any current or previous Pentax. I may be wrong, but I think Falk had done some testing and had it on his website.
Also, the Kx has a AE lock or are you meaning a bracketing button?

QuoteOriginally posted by islandmahn Quote
I was recently on an Alaskan Cruise and got some absolutly wonderful shots of Glaciers and mountains etc. When I looked at the results on my PC I noticed some "dust spots". I thought I didn't clean my lenses properly because "stupid me" I was using pockets to store them. After some cleaning and test shots, I realized that these "dust spots" were on the CMOS sensor. After carefully re-reading several times on the dangers etc. I attemtped some minor cleaning. Using the shake mode about a dozen times without success, I got out my can of compressed air. Holding the camera body with the opening facing the ground I gave it a couple of gentle shots of air into the cavity. Keeping a lot of digits crossed, I did some more test shots. I was lucky this time and all of the dust had been removed from the sensor.
So, a word to the wise, DON'T STORE YOUR LENSES IN YOUR POCKETS if you are on a shoot that requires lens changes. In future I am going to carry that awkward camera bag with me because I don't want to find something that can't be easily removed. ...
So, Happy Photography to everyone
You will find dust on your sensor regardless of your lenses. Definitely never use the can of compressed air again. That is a word to the wise. I am glad your sensor is working well. But, some of those cans can spray out liquid? that can ruin a sensor. Try a Rocket Blower if you have too.

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
The info display is brilliant, and I may tend to work this way always outdoors in manual mode. I will insist on having this from now on in my cameras. It is far more useful to me than a top deck LCD. It bodes well that the K-7 has this feature as it seems like it will now become a standard accoutrement.
The lack of a second e-dial is not great, but the quick shift using the top button is brilliant and I can find it easily without looking. Second best thing to an e-dial and generally therefore renders close to hyper-program capabilities. In fact, i think they refer to it as hyper-manual. In Av I can quickly shift to change the shutter speed to gain/shed aperture easily and without looking. Very ergonomic and absolutely necessary in my opinion if you are not going to offer two e-Dials. Well done overall.
The lack of a focus point confirmation (not focus confirmation) is not much of a big deal except perhaps in conditions where one cannot see the lines on the screen. This is usually in dark conditions and by that time focus is probably hit or miss anyway. I've gotten used to simply carefully lining it up and not getting a little red cue. The shots I get are very sharp. It seems to matter not at all outside of some odd comfort zone.
I am sure there is a difference in DR between this and my K20D. However, in all the shots I took in manual mode on the beach, there was little if any clipping of highlights as one might expect, especially with people wearing a lot of white. The meter seems exceedingly accurate, and I have come to really like the color rendition. In particular the 55-300mm is a nice pairing for candids.
The size is marvelous when you put an F 50 1.7 or comparable on it. There are a couple of other small and inexpensive FA zooms that I will pick up as my "go to" kit for this camera body. It's tiny. It's capable, and it runs on AAs. Oh, and in a pinch it has almost twice the frame rate of my K20D, so it really is good for chasing the kids around....
Bravo Pentax. Nice little camera!
woof
I agree. Nice post. I don't mind the +/- in the VF. I love in M mode hitting the green button to 'zero' the meter and then adjust the exposure with the rear dial. I also second the ease of the one edial. That was a big point for me. Now, I can see that with good button placement, I can live (well) without the 2nd edial. I never had any emotional attachment to the top LCD but I have become attached to the back display. You can also change the color of the info display
08-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #87

I love my K-x Because:

I just got back from an Alaskan Cruise where I was the Official Photographer for a large Group of people travellng together (about 300). There were several functions onboard where I had to officiate as photographer. I had my standard 18-55 lens and a Bower TTL flash unit at most of the functions.
The photo's turned out absolutly fabulous. I would post some of them but at the moment they are being reviewed for international publication in their "Club" magazine.
I had a lot of the group question me on my choice of camera (a lot were canikon owners) and were impressed with some of the features that theirs did not have and if they did paid a lot more for the camera. So, as time goes by, the love relationship gets better every day. I can't wait to get some more lenses to add to my collection.
Ken.
08-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #88
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
^ That's great to hear. Much less glamorous, I think I've become my daughter's 2nd grade class photographer. Ah, but I am up to the challenge!