Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member
MSM's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alabama
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 994
Kx Love Thread

There are a lot of threads discussing comparisons of the Kx vs. another camera. There are threads regarding wish lists for future models and what the Kx is missing. I wanted to start a thread for Kx users (and potential users) to discuss what they like about their Kx. So, tell us what you like in practice using your camera. Any feature that you use that is unique or do you have a work around for a 'missing' feature. Perhaps there is a lot to learn from other users.

07-31-2010, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
MSM
Veteran Member
MSM's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alabama
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 994
Original Poster
I will start with one that I just 'found'. One of the only things I missed from my prior K10 was in reviewing my images. I used to be able to magnify my images and then using the front dial flip between images for comparison. The Kx without the front dial makes that not possible. Last night, I was flipping through the manual again. I had originally skipped over the playback features. Then I found the 'comparing' feature in playback. What a great feature. It basically allows you to bring up two images side by side zoom in and move both images together to make a direct comparison at 100% (4-6x). I use this same feature all the time in Aperture. If you haven't tried it in the Kx. Just pull up an image in Playback. Then press the down arrow to bring up a menu. Use the arrows to move to the comparison option and press ok. For me this was a great find because I use it so often.
07-31-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Nowhere Matt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere Land
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,318
I love the color options! And I don't even have a K-x.

But I was wondering if the K-x had the "compare" feature like the K-7.
My brother-in-law has a K-x. I think next time we see each other we will trade for an hour or so just to get different experiences.
07-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member
future_retro's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 572
-High ISO performance (obligatory response, but it's really awesome!)
-4.7 FPS, almost as fast as my K7, faster than T2i
-Acceptable HD video
-Live view with near point and shoot convenient (when using phase detect of course)

Those are definitely my top 3, letting my Kx go was hard

07-31-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pocahontas, Arkansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 52
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I will start with one that I just 'found'. One of the only things I missed from my prior K10 was in reviewing my images. I used to be able to magnify my images and then using the front dial flip between images for comparison. The Kx without the front dial makes that not possible. Last night, I was flipping through the manual again. I had originally skipped over the playback features. Then I found the 'comparing' feature in playback. What a great feature. It basically allows you to bring up two images side by side zoom in and move both images together to make a direct comparison at 100% (4-6x). I use this same feature all the time in Aperture. If you haven't tried it in the Kx. Just pull up an image in Playback. Then press the down arrow to bring up a menu. Use the arrows to move to the comparison option and press ok. For me this was a great find because I use it so often.
Thanks a bunch for that tip. I was trying to compare two images earlier and just could not geterdone.
That really works quite well!
07-31-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
pdo
Senior Member
pdo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster CA
Posts: 264
I own K20D, K-7 but somehow always prefer to shoot with my white K-X when shooting in the studio..
08-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
In manual mode with my old lenses, you select your aperture and the Av+- button locks in the shutter speed.

Don't need no stinkin' green button--except we still HAVE a green button, which I use to trigger to RAW mode, since I mostly shoot JPEGs. More convenient than a dial or going to a menu to switch.

Last edited by Ira; 08-02-2010 at 05:55 AM.
08-02-2010, 05:03 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lynchburg Virginia
Posts: 182
small buttons too close together

I own both the K20 and KX, but struggle with the little buttons on the KX. I love how small the camera is, but my big hands haven't got used to the layout yet.

08-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Bay
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 211
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
In manual mode, you select your aperture and the Av+- button locks in the shutter speed.

Don't need no stinkin' green button--except we still HAVE a green button, which I use to trigger to RAW mode, since I mostly shoot JPEGs. More convenient than a dial or going to a menu to switch.
Just got my K-x a few days ago. Seems like a decent thing to do with the green button, maybe I'll do that. Of course, I've never shot a RAW image in my life. Just getting my feet wet. Subscribed! Spread the love...

If I'd had a K7 I probably would rue the small buttons. As it is, it's "what it is." Figure I shouldn't let it bother me. My hands are big, but fingers not fat. Hey, just think if you were blind you'd have to read braille. In comparison, the K-x buttons are gargantuan.
08-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
Just got my K-x a few days ago. Seems like a decent thing to do with the green button, maybe I'll do that. Of course, I've never shot a RAW image in my life. Just getting my feet wet. Subscribed! Spread the love...

If I'd had a K7 I probably would rue the small buttons. As it is, it's "what it is." Figure I shouldn't let it bother me. My hands are big, but fingers not fat. Hey, just think if you were blind you'd have to read braille. In comparison, the K-x buttons are gargantuan.
I forgot to mention that I do this for my old m42 screw mount manual lenses.
08-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mount Shasta
Posts: 185
Hands down, it's the high ISO capbilities. As a photojournalist, I use the Tamron 18-250 lens as my do-it-all walk around lens and I have no qualms about shooting ISO 1600 with the Kx and the Tamron. I have even sucessfully shot ISO 6400 with the Tamron and post processing. It's an incredible camera for the price.
08-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #12
MSM
Veteran Member
MSM's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alabama
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 994
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by notsowise Quote
Thanks a bunch for that tip. I was trying to compare two images earlier and just could not geterdone.
That really works quite well!
I am glad this helped. I know when I first bought my k10 I would read all the threads here and pick up a bit or two. I thought it would be nice to have it in one place.
08-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #13
MSM
Veteran Member
MSM's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alabama
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 994
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
In manual mode with my old lenses, you select your aperture and the Av+- button locks in the shutter speed.

Don't need no stinkin' green button--except we still HAVE a green button, which I use to trigger to RAW mode, since I mostly shoot JPEGs. More convenient than a dial or going to a menu to switch.
Ira: Does it lock in the shutter speed or just let you use the e dial to adjust the shutter speed? I like using the green button after setting my aperture. Then pressing the green button in manual gets me to a neutral exposure. I then adjust it adding or subtracting 'exposure' as the seen dictates. I usually shoot in spot meter mode.
08-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #14
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 787
love the kx's performance and size, however,

due to its small size, i find myself not supporting the base of the camera with my left palm -sometimes.
my left hand thumb and forefinger would be on the zoom ring and my left palm would be "lifted" from the base of the camera.

i find i get better/sharper shots when i support the camera properly.

i have average-sized hands, and since there's no grip available for the Kx, i've extended the Kx's height by attaching a piece of foam rubber and using the tripod socket to secure it.

this also seems to absorb some of the shutter/mirror shock

total cost about $5
total weight added - neglegible
sharper images - priceless

YMMV
08-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
Forum Member
rRnt's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 83
The reason I chose the K-x over others when choosing my first DSLR was simply because it offered the biggest bang for the buck - getting anything with comparable functions and features from other brands costs you about 1,5 times as much if not more. I have not yet regreted my decision, in fact I am happy that there is K-x that diverted me from Canikon mainstream.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, feature, kx, lot, photography, thread, threads, users
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is why I love Pentax: the little things thread mattdm Photographic Technique 5 07-04-2009 03:57 AM
Suggestion Add Previous/Next Thread links at the top of each thread indytax Site Suggestions and Help 3 03-17-2009 05:40 PM
News New Feature: Thread start date in thread listing Adam Site Suggestions and Help 10 10-28-2008 12:33 PM
RE: "Why I love the Pentax 50mm f1.4" thread pjsnell Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 20 08-28-2008 06:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top