Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kx Love Thread

There are a lot of threads discussing comparisons of the Kx vs. another camera. There are threads regarding wish lists for future models and what the Kx is missing. I wanted to start a thread for Kx users (and potential users) to discuss what they like about their Kx. So, tell us what you like in practice using your camera. Any feature that you use that is unique or do you have a work around for a 'missing' feature. Perhaps there is a lot to learn from other users.

07-31-2010, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will start with one that I just 'found'. One of the only things I missed from my prior K10 was in reviewing my images. I used to be able to magnify my images and then using the front dial flip between images for comparison. The Kx without the front dial makes that not possible. Last night, I was flipping through the manual again. I had originally skipped over the playback features. Then I found the 'comparing' feature in playback. What a great feature. It basically allows you to bring up two images side by side zoom in and move both images together to make a direct comparison at 100% (4-6x). I use this same feature all the time in Aperture. If you haven't tried it in the Kx. Just pull up an image in Playback. Then press the down arrow to bring up a menu. Use the arrows to move to the comparison option and press ok. For me this was a great find because I use it so often.
07-31-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the color options! And I don't even have a K-x.

But I was wondering if the K-x had the "compare" feature like the K-7.
My brother-in-law has a K-x. I think next time we see each other we will trade for an hour or so just to get different experiences.
07-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

-High ISO performance (obligatory response, but it's really awesome!)
-4.7 FPS, almost as fast as my K7, faster than T2i
-Acceptable HD video
-Live view with near point and shoot convenient (when using phase detect of course)

Those are definitely my top 3, letting my Kx go was hard

07-31-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I will start with one that I just 'found'. One of the only things I missed from my prior K10 was in reviewing my images. I used to be able to magnify my images and then using the front dial flip between images for comparison. The Kx without the front dial makes that not possible. Last night, I was flipping through the manual again. I had originally skipped over the playback features. Then I found the 'comparing' feature in playback. What a great feature. It basically allows you to bring up two images side by side zoom in and move both images together to make a direct comparison at 100% (4-6x). I use this same feature all the time in Aperture. If you haven't tried it in the Kx. Just pull up an image in Playback. Then press the down arrow to bring up a menu. Use the arrows to move to the comparison option and press ok. For me this was a great find because I use it so often.
Thanks a bunch for that tip. I was trying to compare two images earlier and just could not geterdone.
That really works quite well!
07-31-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
pdo

I own K20D, K-7 but somehow always prefer to shoot with my white K-X when shooting in the studio..
08-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

In manual mode with my old lenses, you select your aperture and the Av+- button locks in the shutter speed.

Don't need no stinkin' green button--except we still HAVE a green button, which I use to trigger to RAW mode, since I mostly shoot JPEGs. More convenient than a dial or going to a menu to switch.

Last edited by Ira; 08-02-2010 at 05:55 AM.
08-02-2010, 05:03 AM   #8

small buttons too close together

I own both the K20 and KX, but struggle with the little buttons on the KX. I love how small the camera is, but my big hands haven't got used to the layout yet.

08-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
In manual mode, you select your aperture and the Av+- button locks in the shutter speed.

Don't need no stinkin' green button--except we still HAVE a green button, which I use to trigger to RAW mode, since I mostly shoot JPEGs. More convenient than a dial or going to a menu to switch.
Just got my K-x a few days ago. Seems like a decent thing to do with the green button, maybe I'll do that. Of course, I've never shot a RAW image in my life. Just getting my feet wet. Subscribed! Spread the love...

If I'd had a K7 I probably would rue the small buttons. As it is, it's "what it is." Figure I shouldn't let it bother me. My hands are big, but fingers not fat. Hey, just think if you were blind you'd have to read braille. In comparison, the K-x buttons are gargantuan.
08-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
Just got my K-x a few days ago. Seems like a decent thing to do with the green button, maybe I'll do that. Of course, I've never shot a RAW image in my life. Just getting my feet wet. Subscribed! Spread the love...

If I'd had a K7 I probably would rue the small buttons. As it is, it's "what it is." Figure I shouldn't let it bother me. My hands are big, but fingers not fat. Hey, just think if you were blind you'd have to read braille. In comparison, the K-x buttons are gargantuan.
I forgot to mention that I do this for my old m42 screw mount manual lenses.
08-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #11

Hands down, it's the high ISO capbilities. As a photojournalist, I use the Tamron 18-250 lens as my do-it-all walk around lens and I have no qualms about shooting ISO 1600 with the Kx and the Tamron. I have even sucessfully shot ISO 6400 with the Tamron and post processing. It's an incredible camera for the price.
08-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #12
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by notsowise Quote
Thanks a bunch for that tip. I was trying to compare two images earlier and just could not geterdone.
That really works quite well!
I am glad this helped. I know when I first bought my k10 I would read all the threads here and pick up a bit or two. I thought it would be nice to have it in one place.
08-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #13
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
In manual mode with my old lenses, you select your aperture and the Av+- button locks in the shutter speed.

Ira: Does it lock in the shutter speed or just let you use the e dial to adjust the shutter speed? I like using the green button after setting my aperture. Then pressing the green button in manual gets me to a neutral exposure. I then adjust it adding or subtracting 'exposure' as the seen dictates. I usually shoot in spot meter mode.
08-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #14
Site Supporter

love the kx's performance and size, however,

due to its small size, i find myself not supporting the base of the camera with my left palm -sometimes.
my left hand thumb and forefinger would be on the zoom ring and my left palm would be "lifted" from the base of the camera.

i find i get better/sharper shots when i support the camera properly.

i have average-sized hands, and since there's no grip available for the Kx, i've extended the Kx's height by attaching a piece of foam rubber and using the tripod socket to secure it.

this also seems to absorb some of the shutter/mirror shock

total cost about $5
total weight added - neglegible
sharper images - priceless

YMMV
08-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
Forum Member

The reason I chose the K-x over others when choosing my first DSLR was simply because it offered the biggest bang for the buck - getting anything with comparable functions and features from other brands costs you about 1,5 times as much if not more. I have not yet regreted my decision, in fact I am happy that there is K-x that diverted me from Canikon mainstream.