Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #16

That strap is the one that came with my Z-1p.

I thought for sure the digitals would have some sort of iteration of this strap for memory cards. If they put some solid backing in the pockets the memory cards would be protected, though this particular strap might not have quite enough room for backing and a card - I haven't looked at mine for that purpose 'cause I didn't want to bother taking it off my Z-1p.

08-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shutterdrone Quote
Better yet, switch to 'M', hit the green button with your eye in the viewfinder (framing the shot), and then don't worry about a cover at all =)

!c
I'm not following you. I was shooting in M (Manual) mode. Essentially what I was doing was.. Camera on tripod, M-mode, set for 2sec shutter delay, set shutter for say 1.5sec, adjust aperature, check exposure, frame shot, release shutter. Review the shot, make any adjustments needed, retake shot.

Once I depressed the shutter I would just hold my baseball cap over the viewfinder as I had the sun at my back. It did work fine and the photos came out great.

EDIT: Haha. I think I just got what you're saying. Keep your eye in the hole and you don't have to worry about covering it.
08-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #18
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shutterdrone Quote
Better yet, switch to 'M', hit the green button with your eye in the viewfinder (framing the shot), and then don't worry about a cover at all =)

!c
A good solution,
I'm using either this one or, to doublecheck, I take reading in Av mode with my eye on the viewfinder, then switch to M and enter the values...
btw I think I found my viewfinder cover something like month ago at the bottom of my drawer, when I was tidying up. I've lost it since again
08-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by squarerigger Quote
I have found placing the viewfinder cover on and off to be a pain the the ***.

Yes indeed. My solution was cutting several small tabs from an old black plastic binder, the tabs sized just large enough to slide under the rubber edges of the rubber eyecup. With one of those (the others are spares for the easily lost tabs), I can easily cover the viewfinder without the hassle of removing the eyecup.

To find the proper size for the tabs, I tried various samples cut from an index card. Once I found the right size using the index card cutouts, I used that to cut the black plastic binder. I then rounded off the corners of the tabs (have a tool for that, but scissors are fine also) to prevent the sharp corners from damaging the rubber eyecup. Finally, made sure no sharp edges remained that could damage the rubber.

QuoteQuote:
If the shot is not unneccessarily long, I just gentily place my thumb over the viewfinder cup and that seems to work just fine for me.

An increasing amount of my photography lately has been in the late evening or early nighttime hours (often adding flash to existing light), so the exposures are neccessarily, not unneccessarily, long. That was the incentive for finding a easier solution for covering the viewfinder.

stewart

08-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
EDIT: Haha. I think I just got what you're saying. Keep your eye in the hole and you don't have to worry about covering it.
Actually, that's part of it *grin* But really, you only need the cover outside of M mode, or outside of AE lock mode. As the "light from the viewfinder" only interferes when its attempting to calculate exposure time. If you're in M-mode, it won't change exposure based on light coming in from the viewfinder.

M-mode is quite handy for tripod shots, as it can be used as sort of a "very long AE-lock mode", that is, the green button calculates exposure given your current aperture/ISO. Once you've hit the green button (or not), the exposure time won't change unless you do it. Meaning the eye-cover is only needed when you're in some other mode and taking pictures away from the body. You can also use AE-lock in another mode (say, set to 30s) to frame the shot (with your eye in the viewfinder), hit AE-lock, and you have 30 seconds to take the picture without light interfering.

!c

Edit: another point noted, is that you don't need to cover the viewfinder for the entire shot, only during the phase in which it is determining exposure time (if in some mode other than M and outside of AE-lock) -- that is, until you hear the shutter open.
08-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ahh. Thanks for tip. And, I was only covering the viewfinder while the shutter was opened because when on the two second delay that's about how long it took me to grab my cap and place it over the viewfinder.. lol