Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Came with K10D - What is it?

OK - Since I purchased my K10D I have not been able to figure it out.. In this photo below is the piece I'm talking about.. It's the top rectangular piece on the right side of the camera strap. What the heck is it?

08-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's a view finder cover. You use it when doing long exposures without your eye to the viewfinder, to prevent extraneous light from effecting the meter reading.

Oh, it's the first thing I lost. Second was the eye cup.
08-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
sft

The top piece on the right is the Viewfinder cover, the other piece is the hot shoe cover.

That's an interesting strap and different than the strap that came with my K10D though. Mine has Pentax written in red and the design looks different too - this looks like it has more leather too.
08-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #4

I like that strap. The memory card holder thing looks very handy. Might I ask where you got it from?

08-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, that strap is not mine. I just happened to notice the part in this thread here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/10165-holding-k10d-battery-grip.html Scroll down some - It seems another member here has that strap..

OK thanks for telling me what that piece is.. Is there any reason why it does not fit into the eyepiece? It just falls out.
08-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You have to slide the existing piece up to remove it, then slide the viewfinder cover in it's place.
08-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
sft

You have to slide the eyepiece out and slide that cover on instead. It doesn't go over the actual eyepiece.

08-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK - So I remove the rubber eyecup and replace it with this hard plastic cover?

Thanks by the way.
08-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mopar_man Quote
I like that strap. The memory card holder thing looks very handy. Might I ask where you got it from?

It's the Pentax Camera Strap FG, originally sold with the ZX-5N and ZX-M cameras. The storage pockets are indeed handy. In addition to memory cards, they will also hold the viewfinder and hotshoe covers. Anyway, you can special order it at B&H for $24...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/112774-REG/Pentax_33061_Camera_Strap_FG.html

You can also find it at the Pentax USA website ($34) under Online Store/Photo Accessories/Straps...

https://pc-wweb.pentax.com/scripts/wgate/zw20_pc/!?~language=en&~Okcode=star...rea=0000000002

stewart
08-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
OK - So I remove the rubber eyecup and replace it with this hard plastic cover?

Yes. You remove the rubber eyecup and replace it with the viewfinder cover. Stray light entering the viewfinder could cause inaccurate exposure readings. The viewfinder cover is designed to keep stray light out whenever your eye isn't over the viewfinder, such as when using a tripod, holding the camera away from your eye while taking a picture, and so on.

The hotshoe cover is designed to protect the electrical contacts from fingerprints and the elements.

stewart
08-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's so funny!

I took some long-exposure shots 2 months ago at a local natural brook. I had been setting the shutter between 1 & 2/sec using a 2sec delay for mirror lock-up and found myself shielding the viewfinder with my baseball cap because I *thought* I had no other means of doing so. Meanwhile, I had the exact and proper part sitting in the bottom of my bag!! Oh well, I don't have much experience with long-exposure so, I didn't know any better except to cover it
08-21-2007, 06:44 AM   #12

Careful using that strap w/memory cards

I got the same strap w/my ZX-60 (film cam), decided to use it on the DS. Thinking the pockets would be perfect for memory, I put one card in one pocket, went out shooting, filled the first card in the camera and went to take the second out. It was broken in half! I didn't think I'd been roughing it, just taking street shots, but there it was. Luckily, it was only a 256MB card. Glad it wasn't full of a day's shooting!

Last edited by pshphoto; 08-21-2007 at 06:46 AM. Reason: typos - clarification
08-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I have found placing the viewfinder cover on and off to be a pain the the ***. If the shot is not unneccessarily long, I just gentily place my thumb over the viewfinder cup and that seems to work just fine for me.
08-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #14
Inactive Account

What I could never figure out is this. Why don't they make the viewfinder cover a lot more convenient? Ages ago, they used to thread through your camera neck strap, where it was ready for easy use..and you would never loose the darn thing.
08-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
That's so funny!

I took some long-exposure shots 2 months ago at a local natural brook. I had been setting the shutter between 1 & 2/sec using a 2sec delay for mirror lock-up and found myself shielding the viewfinder with my baseball cap because I *thought* I had no other means of doing so. Meanwhile, I had the exact and proper part sitting in the bottom of my bag!! Oh well, I don't have much experience with long-exposure so, I didn't know any better except to cover it
Better yet, switch to 'M', hit the green button with your eye in the viewfinder (framing the shot), and then don't worry about a cover at all =)

!c