Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-7 Correction Features - How useful are they?

Hey, I've been shooting my K-7 for a few months now and haven't really messed with the correction features. Namely:

Distortion Correction
Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj
Highlight Correction
Shadow Correction

So, what I'm wondering is, how useful are these features and how much do they do / how much difference do they really make? I've turned them on once or twice and I've noticed it takes longer to save an image after a shot because of processing, but I haven't offhand noticed any difference in image appearance.

Does anyone shoot with or swear by these?

07-31-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are spot on: these on-board corrections take some post-processing (PP) time between shots.

In my own experience, it is nice to have these features on-board if you want to use them, but I prefer personally to switch them off as my basic setup.

I decided to switch off all in-camera PP and to focus instead on PP afterwards on the computer. This gives me more controls. There is however a second reason: I use often Hi continuous shooting and the in-camera PP slow down very rapidly the continuous shooting, even with the best SD cards...

Hope that the comment will help...

Last edited by hcc; 07-31-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Typos
08-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had the K-7 for a year now. Tried these corrections once...
08-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Depends on if you shoot RAW or JPEG. When I'm shooting JPEG I'll use them but that's only 5% of the shooting I do.

08-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I leave them on almost all the time, unless I'm trying to catch something in burst mode (kid jumping off a high climbing structure, for example). I figure they don't hurt, and the extra processing time is only a minor annoyance since it doesn't prevent the camera from taking pictures.
08-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I shoot RAW 100% of the time and don't use any of them.

c[_]
08-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If I'm shooting interiors, I have the corrections on. It's just easier than dealing with it later. Otherwise, I can't be bothered. A little lens distortion is not going to show up in a scenic anyway.
08-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Try shooting a subject like window grills and you'll find the lens correction is really useful, especially with el-cheapo lenses like the kit lens.

08-02-2010, 03:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Any lens with fairly significant distortion or vignetting can benefit from the lens correction feature. I use it most with my 16-50. Unfortunately, it is only useful when shooting Jpeg, so that decreases its over all usefulness to me. A lens like the DA 35 or 40, just doesn't benefit from it at all.