AF is definitely faster 1425.93%
AF is more accurate 23.70%
all of the ahove. 2240.74%
No Improvements at all 1629.63%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Have you found that K-7 Firmware 1.1 Improved AF Noticeably?

There seems to be a few here much like myself who have noticed an improvement in the AF on the K-7, not just in LV model.

Curious to get a poll on this.

07-31-2010, 11:54 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes but It's just nice to be able to AF Live View with the shutter button.

Last edited by JeffJS; 08-03-2010 at 12:46 AM.
08-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

It would be nice if a Moderator could update the thread title. Yes it would be useful to have some feedback on the new firmware.

Yesterday, I took over 300 shots with my K-7 at a school fete. I had a Tamron AF SP90mm in the morning and the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 (MF) in the afternoon. There were a lot of actions incl. rides and slides. I used various setup incl. both AF.S and AF.C (with the Tamron), single-shot and Hi continous shooting, with the P mode.

I was impressed by the results. I am no great photographer, but more than 50% of my action shots were well focused incl. during AF.C + Hi continuous shooting of a fasl spinning ride. I cannot comment directly in terms of exact, quantitative comparison between firmware 1.03 and 1.10, but I was pleased positively by the outcomes with firmware 1.10. I could say that the AF appears to be faster.

Last edited by hcc; 08-01-2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Typos
08-01-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, don't know if this is placebo effect or what, but I'd swear AF-C is better than before the upgrade...
I often go for a walk before supper with my kids (them on bikes), and they just love racing down a little road we have nearby, where I often snap them head-on with my tamron 70-200...
And since the upgrade, I feel that AF-C is indeed faster, more precise and that I can grab more pics while they are coming right at me...
Seems like the focus update rate is greater. Sit yourself on the ground, focus on the ground nearby and then pan on the ground from near to far to near... You'll hear a nearly constant focus adjust, it was not this frequent before...

Damn, I simply hate it when I cannot say if all this is only in my head or if Pentax really improved things...

08-01-2010, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

There is definitely a difference b/w 1.03 and 1.1.

Yesterday I updated my k-7's. I updated one first and tested the focusing of it with fa43 and da50-135, then swapped the lens out to my "not yet updated" k-7 and focused on the same things and took note of the time and hunting.

I can assure you of the following:
- AF is faster with v1.1
- less time to focus lock with v1.1
- fa43 had a higher pitched whine to it when focusing with v1.1 which leads me to believe that in v1.1 the af motor speed has been tweeked to go faster. no sound difference with da50-135, but it has sdm.

c[_]
08-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I've posted elsewhere, I have noted a strong improvement in my DA*16-50 focusing. So much improved I can now use it on multipoint AF without constant focus errors. Before I was limited to center point AF.

This update does improve the K-7's focus processes for sure!

germar
08-01-2010, 06:24 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Well, don't know if this is placebo effect or what, but I'd swear AF-C is better than before the upgrade...
I often go for a walk before supper with my kids (them on bikes), and they just love racing down a little road we have nearby, where I often snap them head-on with my tamron 70-200...
And since the upgrade, I feel that AF-C is indeed faster, more precise and that I can grab more pics while they are coming right at me...
Seems like the focus update rate is greater. Sit yourself on the ground, focus on the ground nearby and then pan on the ground from near to far to near... You'll hear a nearly constant focus adjust, it was not this frequent before...

Damn, I simply hate it when I cannot say if all this is only in my head or if Pentax really improved things...
Just checked this and it is definitely improved! It's gone from being on the verge of being completely useless to being completely usable. I'm going to run it through it's paces with my girls today and see what the keeper rate is like...

c[_]

08-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Fixed the typo in your thread title.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-02-2010, 04:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I wrote it on the iphone.

Interesting results so far...
08-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #10

voted "all of the above"
classic trio of 21/40/70 focusing faster, more accurately, better response time even in not so good light conditions
08-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Adam: thank you to fix the thread title.

It is interesting that 80% of the voters (so far) think that there is some (major) improvements.
08-03-2010, 12:24 AM   #12

It feels more decisive on the 16-50 (especially in low light) and perhaps on the 50-135 but on the 10-17 (fisheye) I do not note any changes.

I use MF a lot of the time so it's hard to tell due to lack of experience with AF.

Anyhow, it is definitivily not slower so if things have changed it's to the better.
08-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It might be an idea to update the thread title / poll text to make it clear that this is not in reference to live view, where there's an announced, clear improvement.

I wonder what percentage of voters replied on the poll without reading the thread text, and voted yes based solely on the live view improvement. I *almost* did it myself.
08-05-2010, 01:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If this was just a s/w change, and not dependant on the AF assist lamp, I wonder whether Pentax will incorporate this change into the K-x firmware
08-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
It might be an idea to update the thread title / poll text to make it clear that this is not in reference to live view, where there's an announced, clear improvement.

I wonder what percentage of voters replied on the poll without reading the thread text, and voted yes based solely on the live view improvement. I *almost* did it myself.
EEEK! I totally missed that!

Yes I second that too Adam.