Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
These are my thoughts. As of today. After shooting with the K-x and with the K-7 for a while now.

The K-7 is a hands down winner in build quality. The auto focus is fast and the motor for the screw focus seems much better. I personally am a fan of the screw focus. The options are very nice, and the buttons are very nicely laid out. And all functions make for a camera that can change IS0 and all setting verrrrrry fast. Which is important to me. I change setting for every shot and most of the time i have to change in the middle of a shot. And the K-7 makes this very easy.

The K-x is no slouch. Auto focus is good. Do I perfer the K-x to the K-7 ???
For me the IQ is just superior in every way (For wildlife) with the K-x. I will tell you I don't shoot any pictures except wildlife. I know nothing about any other photography.
And normally all photos are a 100% crop.

But for me only, I have to say the K-x has a lead in IQ.

Last edited by gary1952; 08-01-2010 at 05:07 PM.
08-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Have you also noticed how LR3/ACR6 improves on the K-x grain even further, reducing the impression of noise not by luminance smoothing but by making the 'grains' smaller.
I have, and I've made use of Adobe's little wonder on a number of occasions to date(it's just fantastic). Not to mention how fast it is, when using ACR6 profiles with RAW file. It's so good, it almost makes me feel dirty when I use it

However... on the same side of the coin, I try to limit my use of luminance NR to that ISO4000 with ACR, after which I turn things over over to a more advanced NR solution(such as Denoise).
Though I still rely on ACR6's color NR because it really seems to be the undisputed king of color NR to date.

Thought for what it's worth, I think Adobe has not only outdid themselves this year with NR development, but also.... I think they outdid most of their competition in the process!

Last edited by JohnBee; 08-01-2010 at 05:27 PM.
08-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #18
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gary1952 Quote
These are my thoughts. As of today. After shooting with the K-x and with the K-7 for a while now.

The K-7 is a hands down winner in build quality. The auto focus is fast and the motor for the screw focus seems much better. I personally am a fan of the screw focus. The options are very nice, and the buttons are very nicely laid out. And all functions make for a camera that can change IS0 and all setting verrrrrry fast. Which is important to me. I change setting for every shot and most of the time i have to change in the middle of a shot. And the K-7 makes this very easy.

SNIP

But for me only, I have to say the K-x has a lead in IQ.
And I also... I own both the Kx and K7 and I'm in complete agreement with your assessment. After I upgraded to the K7 it quickly became apparent that it wouldn't be replacing the Kx. That would just be silly. While the K7 is in a sense the overall better camera, compared to the Kx it falls short where it matters most.

The way I see it, these two cameras compliment each other with their respective strengths and weaknesses. And everybody knows two are better than one.