Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stupid Question - Viewfinder Cover

Over the last couple of months - suddenly, I have been plagued with light leaking in through the viewfinder - on long duration images (K20) resulting in some very noisy images. So, I have gone on a search and destroy mission this afternoon, to find the viewfinder cover that I have for the K20 and K100, that I had put in a very safe place, so that I would not loose or miss-place it. Well, I found one, where the other one went - I do not have the foggiest.

So, the stupid question is - Where does it go? - How does it attach? - Obviously over the viewfinder. However with the soft rubber cushion surrounding the viewfinder, and the indented slides along the edges of the viewfinder cover, I can't for the life of me figure out how to attach it. I do not really see a way to remove the rubber cushion around the viewfinder (and since I wear glasses, I would rather leave that attached). So, any suggestions?

Oh by the way, here is what it looks like...
Here is a prior posting about the problem....... and for those of you who have lost yours for good - B&H has them for $1.50... or the official Pentax brand new one available for the low everyday price of $9.95

Last edited by interested_observer; 08-01-2010 at 03:19 PM.
08-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #2

QuoteQuote:
I do not really see a way to remove the rubber cushion around the viewfinder
Just slide it up ... ?
08-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Is it not just a case of sliding upwards the rubber cushion bit to remove it and replacing it with blind bit for that shot or shots and then swap 'em over again.
08-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I just throw something like a towel over the rear of the camera on long exposures. It's too much of a pain to remove the eyepiece every time to put that silly cap on. Of course, that's only once in an orange moon (total lunar eclipse).

08-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I usually just hold my hands over the viewfinder keeping them an inch or two away. And this is only necessary when I'm using my one Pentax lens that is compatible with the auto modes on my K200D so it's not that big of a deal.
08-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #6

Take this off of your head and put it on the camera...

PentaxWebstore Black Pentax Baseball Cap
08-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter

You have to squeeesee the rubber piece just the right way, the removal is explained in the owners manual.
The cover then just slides down.
08-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!!! While, I have your attention - my "noise" seems a bit different than the link that I provided. So, I'll ask the collective opinion - this looks like viewfinder light leakage? It is banded similar to the other link illustrating the problem. On a 5 image bracket, it usually occurs to one frame. They all tend to be long 1 to 30 seconds on a 5 frame set.

On the attached shot iso 100, f8, 0.6 sec, EV Bias -4,

Otherwise, Thanks for the suggestions!

Attached Images

08-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter

But light leakage from the viewfinder should normally only effect the metering.
The mirror being up, blocks anything from getting to the sensor.
08-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Thanks!!! While, I have your attention - my "noise" seems a bit different than the link that I provided. So, I'll ask the collective opinion - this looks like viewfinder light leakage? It is banded similar to the other link illustrating the problem. On a 5 image bracket, it usually occurs to one frame. They all tend to be long 1 to 30 seconds on a 5 frame set.

On the attached shot iso 100, f8, 0.6 sec, EV Bias -4,

Otherwise, Thanks for the suggestions!

The banding on the left wouldn't be VF light, it's just a sensor artifact.
08-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
But light leakage from the viewfinder should normally only effect the metering.
The mirror being up, blocks anything from getting to the sensor.
That is what I was wondering. The VF light only affect meeting IMHO.
08-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

For my K10 I made a cover by cutting up a credit card, I know, it should be my wife's to stop her buying shoes when I want lenses and making a cover that fits inside the rubber eyepiece.

I just kept trimming it and rounded the corners with a nail file until it fitted nicely.
It's cheap, easy to do and doesn't matter if you lose it, which reminds me. I need to make another one.