Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It probably took more to Disallow it than to leave it be. They've already stripped most of the user set functionality for Green Mode so I guess it would have been all grey'd out anyway..

Maybe, as Marc pointed out earlier, they did it because they wanted a totally fool-proof shooting mode?

Quoting Marc: "The whole point of Grene mode is *not* to allow the user to change any settings they might be able to accidentally shoot themselves in the foot with."

I have no idea how much work it took to "disallow" it , but if it was available from the very start I see no reason to leave it out unless they really wanted a "point-and-shoot" mode.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 08-01-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: info added
08-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #17
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The whole point of Grene mode is *not* to allow the user to change any settings they might be able to accidentally shoot themselves in the foot with.
I agree with Marc's comment, although I would add that the Green mode can be used also as an "emergency" mode to reset very rapidly the camera settings in some fairly dynamic situations when you do not have time to fiddle around. Indeed even the Green button is not safeproof as I experienced it with great frustration. Every so often, there is a situation when I have a couple of seconds (max) to shoot, and I do not want to stuff up.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Green button but it does not reset everything (eg ISO). The Green mode does ....
08-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Maybe, as Marc pointed out earlier, they did it because they wanted a totally fool-proof shooting mode?

Quoting Marc: "The whole point of Grene mode is *not* to allow the user to change any settings they might be able to accidentally shoot themselves in the foot with."

I have no idea how much work it took to "disallow" it , but if it was available from the very start I see no reason to leave it out unless they really wanted a "point-and-shoot" mode.

JP
I Read Marc's comment and agree. I was just responding to your post.

Just for discussion sake:

I think the green mode thing though is a case of camera companies trying to please everyone. I'm sure the other brands have some sort of point and shoot modes on all but the truly pro cameras (maybe even on them, I don't know). The K7 comes out of the box set on GM and I'm sure there are Some who never change it. There are those of us who go to one of the program modes and forget that GM even exists.

I've been a long time proponent of mappable buttons and even a couple mappable functions on the mode dial (which amounts to User Mode). Let us decide whether the Green Mode is in fact Green Mode OR, USER 2. Let me map the RAW button to USER 3. They give the option of changing the basic functions of the e-dials (which I think is brilliant), expand on it a little bit. No extra hardware, just a few extra selection tables in the software.

08-02-2010, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I may be in the minority but I am very happy that Pentax included Green Mode as one of the options on the K7.

I personally shoot most of my photos in P mode and I always shoot in RAW. I love the semi-automatic way that P mode operates where I can have control any aspect of shooting I choose while leaving other aspects to the camera if I want. That works great for me.

My wife however is totally a point and shoot type gal. She doesn't want to have to know how to adjust anything in the camera. She just wants to be able to pick it up and shoot a photo. She also wants to know that she isn't gonna mess up something I have set in the process.

The Green Mode works great for this. She simply picks up the camera and puts it on Green and shoots whatever she wants. Then when I move it back to P mode nothing has changed from how I have set the conrols to work.

So for me Green Mode is a great idea that allows a point and shoot person to use my camera without fear or frustration.

08-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #20
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jon in SC Quote
I may be in the minority but I am very happy that Pentax included Green Mode as one of the options on the K7.

I personally shoot most of my photos in P mode and I always shoot in RAW. I love the semi-automatic way that P mode operates where I can have control any aspect of shooting I choose while leaving other aspects to the camera if I want. That works great for me.

My wife however is totally a point and shoot type gal. She doesn't want to have to know how to adjust anything in the camera. She just wants to be able to pick it up and shoot a photo. She also wants to know that she isn't gonna mess up something I have set in the process.

The Green Mode works great for this. She simply picks up the camera and puts it on Green and shoots whatever she wants. Then when I move it back to P mode nothing has changed from how I have set the conrols to work.

So for me Green Mode is a great idea that allows a point and shoot person to use my camera without fear or frustration.
+1
Jon,
I fully agree with you. Like you I shoot in P mode and love it. I also like the Green mode, despite some 'rubbishing' comments. Everyone is different and some may like theGreen mode, other won't.

Last edited by hcc; 08-02-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Typos
08-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never fired a single shot in green mode.
08-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #22
REM
Forum Member

I put it in Green Mode when I hand the camera over to complete camera/dslr newbies so I can have a picture of myself (when I dont have a tripod). I then place it back to M, Av, or Tv.

08-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am totally "done" with the Green Mode anyway, for myself that is.

My wife likes to take "snap shots", and she does a great job at it, and doesn't want to be bothered with the intricacies of a DSLR. So, when we go out for photo "shoots", she takes (read: I allow her to use ... ) the K7 with the DA*16-50 while I have the K20D with the DA*300 ... perfect world?!
Well, that makes it one-heck-of-an-expensive P & S camera!

JP