Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 in Green Mode - JPEG only?

Today, we went out for a car ride and brought along the K7 and the K20D. As a good samaritan, I let my wife use the K7 but because she is a strickly "point-and-shooter", I set the K7 on the Green "all automatic" mode.
When I came back and uploaded the pics to my computer, all the shots taken that way (green mode) showed as JPEG's only.
Since I usually shoot only in RAW, this was a surprise to me!

Also, all the pics turned out to be JPEG *** quality ("best" ???) instead of what I am used to, that is ****.

Another thing that I noticed was that when in the green mode, there is no access for "on screen" functions (info button pressed and that gives you the choice to make change some options that way).

Is it me, or does my K7 have something wrong with it?

Of course, I don't have my K7 manual handy here at the moment, so I couldn't check.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers.

JP

08-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My K7 is the same, whenever I let other people use my K7 I put it on Program, program line: handheld shots with auto ISO 100-2000-4000 depending on the lightning

Green mode is pathetically limited, with the way they've configured it, it seems like wasted space on the dial and in the OS on a camera like the K7
08-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
My K7 is the same, whenever I let other people use my K7 I put it on Program, program line: handheld shots with auto ISO 100-2000-4000 depending on the lightning

Green mode is pathetically limited, with the way they've configured it, it seems like wasted space on the dial and in the OS on a camera like the K7
So, I assume this means that we are stuck with this?
Sure isn't very handy.
Mind you, I never, or very very seldom, use this Green Mode, so that is not a big issue for me but, really, the K7 "rear screen (monitor) functions should be acessible in auto mode too, don't you think?

JP
08-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why don't you take time to refer to your camera's operating manual first before posting?
It is clearly stated in the K-7 Operating Manual... page 95. Using P mode is a lot better than Green mode.

08-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is pretty numbed down but I look at it as a safe-mode. Keeps my 11 yo. from getting too frustrated.
08-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I love using the K7 and think it is a great camera but for user controls (full user access) I think they've taken a step backwards. On all of my cameras, as far as I'm concerned (I'm probably alone here) they could use that green mode setting for something else (like a Second USER function). It would be far more useful to me. I don't particularly appreciate the camera software deciding when SR should be used or not either.

08-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #7

This is also true on the Kx.

08-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with the others. The P mode works better if you don't want to think about your settings too much, but you want some options. Green mode is completely automatic. Even newbies shouldn't shoot there for any length of time.
08-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Why don't you take time to refer to your camera's operating manual first before posting?
It is clearly stated in the K-7 Operating Manual... page 95. Using P mode is a lot better than Green mode.
Yeah ... maybe I should have checked with the manual ... which was not available to me when I posted this.
My quote from the original post :"Of course, I don't have my K7 manual handy here at the moment, so I couldn't check."
I do sometimes use a computer away from home, but thanks for the reply.

JP
08-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
It is pretty numbed down but I look at it as a safe-mode. Keeps my 11 yo. from getting too frustrated.
That is why I had my wife use that mode.
Only thing was that I had no idea what to expect in file type.
Cheers.
JP
08-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I agree with the others. The P mode works better if you don't want to think about your settings too much, but you want some options. Green mode is completely automatic. Even newbies shouldn't shoot there for any length of time.
Agreed, however, since this was her first time ver using this type of camera, I thought it would be safer.
JP
08-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I love using the K7 and think it is a great camera but for user controls (full user access) I think they've taken a step backwards. On all of my cameras, as far as I'm concerned (I'm probably alone here) they could use that green mode setting for something else (like a Second USER function). It would be far more useful to me. I don't particularly appreciate the camera software deciding when SR should be used or not either.

I don't think it would be that hard to have some sort of monitor (rear screen) control the same as with the other modes. But, hey!, what do I know?
I am all for a second, or third, USER function.
08-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The whole point of Grene mode is *not* to allow the user to change any settings they might be able to accidentally shoot themselves in the foot with.
08-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The whole point of Grene mode is *not* to allow the user to change any settings they might be able to accidentally shoot themselves in the foot with.
Thanks for bringing that up. That was why I set it up that way for my wife to use, her being a first time K7 "operator"!
Cheers.
JP
08-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I don't think it would be that hard to have some sort of monitor (rear screen) control the same as with the other modes. But, hey!, what do I know?
I am all for a second, or third, USER function.
It probably took more to Disallow it than to leave it be. They've already stripped most of the user set functionality for Green Mode so I guess it would have been all grey'd out anyway..