Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #1

Anyone shooting Santa?

Good evening.

The subject came up today about getting ready for our Santa pictures in the mall.
Last year we used a Canon Xt and shot pictures onto a memory card.
This year we were hoping to try something better.

What I would like to to do is use a K10d (or D or k100D) to aim the camera and see the picture on a monitor and press the space bar or whatever to take the picture. Is that something remote assistant would do?

Are there any cameras (any brand ) that do?
Are there any specialty cameras for that type of work?

Christmas planning already. Sorry people!!

David

08-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That would appear to be the exact intended purpose of Pentax Remote Assistant 3 software. It's a free download, so give it a try to see if it meets your needs.

stewart
08-20-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I assume you want the monitor for you to quickly get the shot framed, get a quick preview, etc.

As Stewart said, Remote Assistant is the one for the job. Using the included USB cable, you can use your computer to trigger the shutter and have the image transferred to the computer.

You can even configure it to auto-save the image for you: no need to trasfer images out of a card and with the right setup, an assistant could grab the images from the configured folder and begin printing.

With a dual monitor setup (mirrored) you can even share the view with other people, perhaps drive some extra business !

I'm planning on using this software for a gig I'm doing with a local spa so I already have a 6 foot USB extension cable ready to go and will be testing it out this weekend. I would try to stick to within 10 feet of total cable distance to be on the safe side. As I understand it, anything longer and you could experience voltage/reliability issues.

Hope this helped!
08-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
With k110d also?

Will this software also work with the k110d? i could definately use it. Thanks

08-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #5

Just be aware there is no "live view" with the software.

You can, however, set the camera to "buffer mode" to frame the shot, and then set to auto save mode (this is what I usually do).
08-21-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter

My wife and I will be taking Autumn/Halloween scenes for donations to a Dog Park (we are not pros, and will donate our time). We're thinking two Pentaxs, four memory cards, and two small HP printers, but no computer.

I just checked Pentax Japan and Remote Assistant STILL is not supported on the K1x0Ds, only istD and K10D. It "works" with both of my cameras but has several issues.

PENTAX Support&Service

Scroll toward the bottom and look for Software.
08-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
... It "works" with both of my cameras but has several issues....

what issues are we exactly talking about?!? As K100D user I would be really interrested. Can you write in detail please.
Many thanx
08-22-2007, 02:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Remote assistant will work for you providing you have an *istD or K10D. I do not believe it supports the other cameras

08-22-2007, 06:59 AM   #9

Don't shoot Santa. Who's going to bring me a K10D for Christmas if you do that?
08-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter

No.....but we did blow up the Easter bunny !!

The Story:
A friend was visiting the farm (many moons ago) with his two sons, the youngest, Sam, had just started kindy.
On easter Sunday we were blowing up a few rabbitt warrens with nitropil (urea/diesel/red cord & det) in a 1 litre milk carton. Push it down the burrow, light fuse & run..very high tech. Sam loved it.

Anyway, Tuesday morning Sam is at kindy, all the other kids have told their Easter egg stories when Sam gets up and announces that there will be no eggs next year because we blew up the Easter bunny........
......Sam's mum was called into the kindy to help placate a room of crying kids
True story.
08-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
what issues are we exactly talking about?!? As K100D user I would be really interrested. Can you write in detail please.
Many thanx
If you look back through the archives there seems to be almost as many impressions of Remote Assistant with K100D/K110D as there are posts.

Some say it works fine. I think they have used a subset of features and not hit the bad ones.

Some say it does not work at all. I had that problem with my K110D after it returned from Pentax (a long story) and was updated to the latest firmware. If I connected it to my PC, it "knew" the PC was there because the small LCD display said "PC." But, R.A. did not recognize the camera no matter what I tried. I swapped in my K100D and R.A. displays camera status, allows me to change exposure, take picture, etc. Put the K110D back on, not recognized. Different computer: K100D works, K110D does not. Since the K110D is my observatory camera it is the one I NEED R.A. to work with. I tried it perhaps 5-6 evenings hoping it would recover. Last time out it suddenly recovered for no apparent reason. It the clouds ever go away I'll be out again and see if it still works. I only use R.A. for focusing, I take my images without the computer connected.

Some say it only works in RAW mode. Since I use PEF for astro that is OK with me. But, one day I was using the K100D (the one that R.A. like better) to take photos of birds at a feeder. I set R.A. to JPEG mode. I noticed the files created were still PEFs, oh well I can live with that. I spent two hours snapping photos when a web cam showed a bird at the feeder. I checked the photos as I proceeded with Pentax Photo Browser, the PEFs looked fine. When done, I had dozens of PEF files and when I tried to convert them with Pentax Laboratory I got garbage. Back to Browser, looked OK. Save image from browser and got garbage, it could not examine the image it saved. I had some kind of hybrid between the PEF that was saved and the JPEG Remote Assistant was set to.

I salvaged the session by displaying the photos in Pentax Browser and doing a screen capture. If I needed a larger image I zoomed Browser, captured the four quadrants, and stitched them together with PanoramaMaker. I was desperate! The Blue Jay I submitted to the BIRD contest was made that way (it didn't get any votes).

I'm sure there are other bugs, I just have not looked beyond my own needs for the software.

Bottom Line: Pentax never said R.A. works with the K1x0D camera, so you are on your own. It does seem to work with some cameras in RAW mode. It is free, so try it and test your setup to see if you get properly formatted files. I'll still use it myself.

The version I'm using is the istD version. The new K10D version did not work with either camera.

BTW: My photo of two Holsteins at a Dairy/Ice Cream Shop submitted to the FOOD contest did get some votes. It was labeled, "Ice cream, early stage of production."

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 08-22-2007 at 07:03 PM. Reason: typo
08-25-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Hi David

Re: Anyone shooting Santa?

I can tell you this much. Last Christmas Santa tried unsuccessfully to access our property through the Central Heating duct and got stuck halfway down. The mess Rudolph made trying to extricate him from this embarrasing situation almost defies belief, so I don't think he'll bother next year if he has any sense !!

Best regards
Pappa Noel's deputy !
08-26-2007, 12:18 AM   #13
Inactive Account

A canon 40d

or

Nikon d300

or

Pentax/sony's latest and greatest will serve you better.

It sounds like you are one of the few that truly needs live view.